WIP Beta released Saba Island, except the island is a fictional map in BeamNG

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by SuperEmbracer, Dec 25, 2017.

1. SuperEmbracer

SuperEmbracer
    Expand Collapse

Hello everyone!
    Do you like terrible road quality? Do you like uneven roads? No? How about steep roads? Well, this map is for you! featuring several windy roads up hills, several towns along the way, and two ramps on top of the island for a way to destroy your car by means of falling down a cliff!)
    And despite the name, the map has very little to do with the real Saba Island, except for the physical shape of the island, when viewed from a birds-eye view, where the map gets it's name from.
    20171227162437_1.jpg 20171228225350_1.jpg 20171226222858_1.jpg

This is my first map, so it may not be of the best quality. However, i have spent a lot of time creating this map. It is mostly complete, but some areas of the map need a little more polishing. However, i don't want to keep you waiting. So here it is!

Features:
    • DIrt airstrip (Real Saba island has a paved airstrip)
    • Terrible roads when you leave the settlements
    • A ring road around the island with terrible quality (Real Saba island has no such ring road)
    • Two off-road paths (not shown on the BeamNavigator)
    • Two jump ramps near the highest point in the map (highest roads in the map)
    So you've been waiting! Before the map got released, I've had some positive feedback! Now it's time to enjoy it yourself! Post any improvements here, and you are welcome to modify and improve the map yourselves!

O̶n̶ ̶H̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶i̶s̶s̶u̶e̶s̶ ̶s̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶s̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶e̶x̶t̶u̶r̶e̶s̶.̶ ̶I̶'̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶r̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶i̶x̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶g̶a̶i̶n̶,̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶h̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶i̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶f̶i̶g̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶r̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶a̶p̶.̶ ̶W̶o̶r̶k̶s̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶P̶C̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶l̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶.̶
    Never mind, terrain fixed! Now go enjoy! Credit to bob.blunderton for his kind support!

Notice: Saba2 has slight modifications which point 2 important files to the map folder, rather than the "levels" folder.

Attached Files:

#1 SuperEmbracer, Dec 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  2. EvanHellaFlush

EvanHellaFlush
    Expand Collapse

W A I T a M I N U T E that means that it is TOMORROW where you are :O OT: I can't wait to ram around this map at top speed and crash!

3. SuperEmbracer

SuperEmbracer
    Expand Collapse

Oops, posted too early, it's now here! (the download link)

4. neketow

neketow
    Expand Collapse

so, when i spawn, theres no ground, fallingl for the eternity forever and ever
    i thought "well, its a cache problem maybe, nope its no, maybe some files got damaged, nope"
    HALP

5. SuperEmbracer

SuperEmbracer
    Expand Collapse

hmm, i'm pretty sure i've fixed the spawns when making the map, let me go check (it is WIP after all, and i'm working on a better map)

Which spawn point did you select?

6. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Keep in mind, when you first make a map (import a terrain, or create a new one) it saves in /levels/, not in /levels/sabaisland/
    Move the terrain into the map folder itself (not in /levels but in /levels/sabaisland or whatever it's called), and then find where the info for the .ter file is stored, and update it in the main mission file.

If people are falling because there's no earth, this is why.

main\MissionGroup\General\items.level.json
    line 1 has the terrain on it for me (look for .ter in your file and alter the path), it may not be on line 1 for you!

there's also a terrainname.terrain.json file you may have to change in your map folder - open it and make sure the path is correct.
    Terrainname is the name of your terrain which would make it theterrain.terrain.json by default if you just called it 'theterrain'.

I am pretty sure it's just those two... not 100% but that should be it.
    See if that works. This is new map format so I'm not 100% along the lines of it yet. I had 0.8 and previous, and the 0.9 format mastered though. Sheesh.

Not that you have to do this now, but for next time to make things easier:
    Real mappers use notepad++ - please use this (it's free, link safe for work), if you're not already.
    https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

The bulk-replace for the find-in-files feature when pointed to your NEW map's directory is super-duper handy when starting out a map new. It'll get all your texture entries sorted in minutes, not hours, without human error (when you replace /east_coast_USA/ with /yourmapname/ etc).

#6 bob.blunderton, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  7. SuperEmbracer

SuperEmbracer
    Expand Collapse

T
    I named the folder "mountainembracer" and not "sabaisland", and i'm pretty sure my terrain file is in the "mountainembracer" directory, not in the levels folder itself. Which file is the main mission file? sorry if i sound dumb.

8. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Downloading, I edited the post above. This should help. Check your files to make sure!
    I will let you know if I have any issues here.

AYIEEEEEEE!!! *falling scream*

Terrain is not referenced right. Will see if I can fix this, or not (if the terrain file is here I can).

Found both references to a terrain file in /levels/east_coast_USA/ and in /levels/
    There's reference for the east coast one in this file: theterrain.terrain.json
    The one inside your map folder, is a 12mb terrain file from 12/18/17, that's the old EAST COAST terrain and is not needed - you can get rid of that.
    You need to find the file inside your \levels\ folder that was modified when you last worked on this map.
    Move it into the map folder, then open your (broken, for now terrainless) map and hit f11, go into f1 object editor, hit MISSIONGROUP and look for your terrain. Where it shows /levels/theterrain.ter, click the ... and find your file you just moved into the folder, that was previously in /levels/ only.
    It should appear, and be fine now. Include this file in the zip!
    MAKE SURE YOUR .ZIP FILE IS PACKAGED AS /LEVELS/MOUNTAINEMBRACER/ and not just /mountainembracer/ folder inside the zip.

...\Documents\BeamNG.drive\levels\mountainembracer\main\MissionGroup\items.level.json (1 hit)
    Line 3: {"name":"theTerrain","class":"TerrainBlock","__parent":"MissionGroup","position":[-1061.763916015625,-2005.725952148438,41.77123641967773],"maxHeight":860,"squareSize":4,"terrainFile":"Levels/backup.level.json.level_0.ter"}

Basically, that one is saying there's a terrain in the /levels/ folder and I don't have that one. I cannot go any further.

#8 bob.blunderton, Jan 6, 2018
  9. SuperEmbracer

SuperEmbracer
    Expand Collapse

Man, i am so bemused! It works perfectly fine on my PC, yet, other users complain! I swear i downloaded my own file and it works just fine. Are you falling off the earth and into the deep, endless ocean too? it seems like you are!

Anyway, i got npp, and opened items.level.json. I see the following:
    {"name":"MissionGroup","class":"SimGroup","enabled":"1"}

And i've also changed the terrain file and changed the data file so it points to my map instead of ECUSA. Also, is the "heightmapimage" line necessary for my map to work? As i think i have deleted the original heightmap i used to make the island.

10. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

it works fine for YOU because YOU have the terrain in your /levels/ folder, which everyone else, does not (and if they do, it won't be the one you created). Please check the above post, I edited it several times.
    Just move the .ter file from levels into your map folder (overwrite if necessary), open game, and follow instructions above of what to modify inside the editor. Then upload that zip file.
    Or send me the terrain (attach to message) and I will see if that works with this.

I have trees, houses, rocks with NO TEXTURE all over them, they are pretty visible though :)
    Only rocks have NOTEXTURE on them btw (clarification).
    So check your rock texture's materials.cs and that the textures are there for them.
    and let there be... LAND... some form of it anyways. Heh

Sorry not trying to be mean - blunt yes - mean no. Been mapping 2+ years and now they've changed the map format.
    Looks like you spent some time on this map, wouldn't want to see it go to waste.

#10 bob.blunderton, Jan 6, 2018
  11. SuperEmbracer

SuperEmbracer
    Expand Collapse

No texture?Didn't the picture you take of you falling to the ground had textures on the trees? And i've deleted my map data from the levels folder "to simulate someone who's just downloaded the map. The only things i see with no texture are the rocks. Houses and trees are fine on my end. Nothing with "mountainembracer" on the levels folder. (I'm not mean by the way, just surprised and bemused)

I'm pretty sure there's nothing in "levels" - terrain file is in the "mountainembracer" folder, because I've checked.

Alright, going to upload the revised version - did some edits. Hopefully it works. Or maybe same result.

12. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Well so long as you didn't permanently delete \levels\backup.level.json.level_0.ter otherwise you'll have to make it again.
    That won't be fun. That's exactly the file it's looking for. FIND THAT FILE and set it as your terrain.

I can't just pick my car and set it higher up or it will fall again, there's *NO* land at all.
    Trees, houses, notexture-rocks are ALL floating.

13. SuperEmbracer

SuperEmbracer
    Expand Collapse

I've finally uploaded the fix, and yes, i still have the file with me. Did not perm delete during cleanup fortunately.

14. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

I'll have to try out the fix.
    By the way it's not "Because others are complaining" it's "because the map wasn't set up right". There's a right and wrong way to set the map up, this was mostly right, except for the missing land (wrong directory) and the rock texture.
    I can't really blame you, for being upset, when you thought you had everything done, and it's not very well documented.
    However, that being said, it's not complaining, it's discussing errors in the discussion thread.
    Consider yourself lucky that even with the land missing (from what I could see) you put more time and attention into it than at-least 75% or so of others out there trying to make 'just another flat map'.
    Hopefully, it works this time, if not, I'll try to fix again. If it still doesn't work, I'll tell you why.
    Remember, I'm trying to help you. YES it's frustrating. More-so than beating head against wall. However, we can come together and try to help in this discussion forum and MAKE A WORKING MAP. <---- GOOD THING.

I'll get back to you tonight or tomorrow (it's getting late here) and let you know if it's pass/fail, if it's good, it should be uploaded to the repository. However, seeing as this wasn't submitted as a mod yet, that's a feather in your cap.

Thankyou for even attempting to make a map that isn't ABFM...

...Another Boring Flat Map :)

It's appreciated. Will get back to you as I said.
    If it's too frustrating take a break, if you can't fix it when you come back or don't know why, ask for help.
    I couldn't tell you how many errors I made but my about-50-page forum thread for Roane County might hint you.
    We all have to start somewhere.
    --Cheers

Edit:

It's still doing the same error.
    Code:
    14.44484|E|BNGBase::FS::bngNotif::notifAdd|realDir failed for Levels/backup.level.json.level_0.ter
     14.44494|E|TerrainFile::load|Resource<TerrainFile>::create - could not open 'Levels/backup.level.json.level_0.ter'
     14.44495|E|ResourceBase::assign|Failed to create resource: [Levels/backup.level.json.level_0.ter]

I have done what I could to try and help you. It's still trying to find the terrain and can't find it in /levels/.
    2k square terrain will be about 12mb. 4k terrain will be about 49mb. It's got to be there somewhere. It's a .ter file.

#14 bob.blunderton, Jan 6, 2018
  15. SuperEmbracer

SuperEmbracer
    Expand Collapse

I appreciate it that you said i put time and effort into my maps.

I'm not upset at all, actually. Maybe it is just me misreading people's comments. Of course we would have to all start somewhere.

And I would be dumb to release a map into the mod repository before prior testing. I don't want bad reviews after all, and therefore, I'd release it into the forums first. And speaking of missing rock textures, I got rid of the offending rocks. I rather have a dirt road rather than no road at all.

And what's the definition of an Another Boring Flat Map? Is it a map made in 1 day or something? I'm making a suburb map that is flat with slight gradients and something i put time and effort into, for private use at the moment, does that count as an ABFM?

Also, forgot one question. Do i need to get rid of ALL unused assets before releasing the final product into the mods repository? Don't want to get into any trouble from the staff members or anything, considering i put a lot of effort into the creation of this map, a masterpiece.

Sorry for loads of questions by the way. My masterpiece still needs refining as you said.

#15 SuperEmbracer, Jan 6, 2018
  16. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

You're alright, questions are OK.
    Do read the above edited post I included the log file excerpt where it's important.
    Reading the beamng.log file after loading your map (or checking the console with the ~ key) is a good thing to do.

ABFM = flat (not slight gradients, not hills, just 100% flat), lifeless terrain with few features, a few flat roads slapped on, and things just plopped randomly with little effort. OK if you're 12, not OK if you're an adult, or someone who takes pride in their work. Basically, if you can tell it started as a flat terrain, you should put more work into it (from the shape of the trees contouring to where the terrain would be, this map is NOT flat). Some people do possess vision enough to make a good map though, even out of flat terrain.

Missing rock textures are usually a result of improper file paths for the rock graphic in the materials.cs in the directory of the rocks. Always make sure you get all those pesky materials.cs files changed over. They may work for you, but not for others.
    Anytime you see CAN'T FIND TEXTURE or MISSING MATERIAL or whatever that console says when you get NOTEXTURE orange stuffs in the map (always good to have a friend to test stuff!!!), usually is as above, un-changed materials.cs files.

If you know your not using an asset or a model you can get rid of it but MANY of the graphics are shared, especially with assets in the same directory. The textures are generally never stored within the model itself, they come as files with it, and a materials.cs file with map_to entries in it, so that the DAE (collada models) can ask for the texture, which is there-by mapped to a certain name the DAE's looking for, and actually GET the texture. That's how that works.
    So yes if you have unused DAE's and you know they're not used, fine, get rid of them, but know that it can be harder to put them back later - especially if you have an ERROR (which you will if you need something).
    You don't have to remove unused models. I didn't unless they were monstrous or broken in some way. I ended up finding much use for unused models later on down the line.

--Best of luck. Try to get the terrain fixed and you'll have a decent map. Could be fun!
    If your entirely not sure what to do, round up all the terrains. Find all the terrains in /levels/ and in levels/east_coast_USA/ folder if you have one, and get them and stick them in a separate zip file and upload them. I'll try and see if I can't get one to match this. Use the date-last-modified value on the files to help you.

17. SuperEmbracer

SuperEmbracer
    Expand Collapse

All right, found the missing file, added it to my map, and going to upload it soon
    --- Post updated ---
    All right, I've found the missing file and placed it in the "levels" directory. Sorry, deleted the original zip, but i hope it all is well. If not, then i'll try another day. Thanks for your help!

18. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

"Largest city on the map" spawn = working.

Going to drive around for a little bit and see what I can explore, etc.

I will toy with it tomorrow (should have plenty of time), and try and get the terrain configured to where it works within the folder itself.

addition:

That's the last major slope going up, before you get to the lookout, on the road that comes from the place I spawned in 'largest town on the map'.
    So, where some people would go and criticize about that hill being steep, I turned around, threw the Pessima in reverse (car pictured above), and backed up the hill ever so gracefully in 2~3 spots where I had to.
    Still had fun, on the first roads I drove down. So I cannot knock this map, not considering the first 2.7 miles I drove on it gave me quite a chuckle even if there's next to no rubber left on the tires now (it's all on the road).
    I do not think my piano truck will ever make it up - or down - this hill, but surely I'll try.

Consider my FWD, AWS 88 Pessima, Stock engine with a stage 3 variable turbo, oil cooler, upgraded radiator, and likely still the stock wheels & tires, has made it up. Quite fun actually.

You didn't happen to receive this terrain from someone back around September 30th did you?
    I went to move your file from downloads to the beam folder and there's a terrain.party saba8k terrain on there :x
    Either way, hey, I got to try it. Will try some more and mess with it again tomorrow - at-least it works now, all the work was not in vein. This is not the first map that I was able to 'fix' so to speak when folks had problems.
    If there is a way to break things, rest assured, Bob.Blunderton has already done that at-least once, if not several times, sometimes right one after the other and then some more. So Bob.Blunderton must know how to fix lots of things because he breaks lots of things but still releases a working map somehow (usually, anyways, no one's perfect).
    So yes, if all else fails, and you can't fix it, say 'Well what about Bob?' ...
    Don't upload it to the mod repository yet, let's get the terrain in the correct folder tomorrow. I'll message you about it then, and tell you what to edit & move where so the moderators will accept it and it will run without issue. It does work as-is but they're a bit picky with things (as they should be, they wouldn't want this becoming just like many other mod sites where you have to dig through heaps of trash to find the diamond in the rough).

--Will message tomorrow!

19. SuperEmbracer

SuperEmbracer
    Expand Collapse

All right, I've found the mi
    All righty, you message me tomorrow and we'll find out a way to get this map refined!
    And i didn't receive the height map from anyone on Sep 30. I got the height map after my holiday break in December using "terrain.party". What made you say that?

20. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

I have a Saba island height map in my downloads folder from terrain party (9/30/17), must have done downloaded the same island - I never used it though. I think I was doing it for someone though from the looks of it.
    Here's the readme file from it:
    Code:
    Hooray! You've exported some stuff from terrain.party v1.2!

If you should want to export this again for any reason:
      http://terrain.party/api/export?name=SABA8K&box=-63.199973,17.669187,-63.275397,17.597322

Now: what did you get?

Height Maps
    -----------

* SABA8K Height Map (ASTER 30m).png

ASTER is the most recent public survey of elevation on Earth. It has high
        coverage and high (~30m) resolution. However, the instrument can get
        confused by high concentraions of clouds and mountains, creating gaps in
        the data that need to be repaired by hand.
        http://asterweb.jpl.nasa.gov/gdem.asp

* SABA8K Height Map (Merged).png

[!] If you look at one height map, look at this one. [!]

This is a mix of ASTER (~30m), USGS NED (~10m), and SRTM30+ (~900m). It
        provides good global elevation data (ASTER) and better US elevation data
        (USGS NED) with hole-filling and bathymetry from SRTM30+.

* SABA8K Height Map (SRTM3 v4.1).png

SRTM data was originally provided by the Shuttle Radar Topography Mission
        but SRTM3 v4.1 is the result of considerable effort from CGIAR-CSI. It has
        a ~30m resolution in the US and a ~90m resolution elsewhere.
        http://www.cgiar-csi.org/data/srtm-90m-digital-elevation-database-v4-1

* SABA8K Height Map (SRTM30 Plus).png

SRTM30+ data is very, very coarse (~900m). This might be useful if you'd
        like to follow the general contours of the land (and seafloor!) without
        having every single contour. (But really, it's here because... why not?)
        http://topex.ucsd.edu/WWW_html/srtm30_plus.html

Elevation Adjustment
    --------------------

The original elevation models for this area contained elevations ranging from
    0 through 860 meters.

These elevation values need to get transformed into a grayscale images. This
    section describes how that translation was done in this particular case.

(The game isn't yet released, so what follows is a guess, but I think it's a
    pretty good guess. If this turns out to be wrong, please use the link above to
    re-export this data once we figure out what the deal is.)

Cities: Skylines supports terrain from 0m to 1024m. It represents elevations as
    16-bit unsigned integers, which can be read directly from 16-bit height maps.
    Each level therefore corresponds to 1/64th of a meter: 0 is 0m, 64 is 1m, etc.
    Cities: Skylines maps default to having sea level at 40m, with typical terrain
    starting at 60m.

These heightmaps were adjusted such that 0m (actual) is equal to 40m in
    game. All other elevations are relative to that.

Again, the lowest point in these height maps is now 40m in game; all other
    terrain is even higher. You will likely want to adjust the water level as a
    result.

Just figured I'd post it for the heck of it. I didn't notice it until I went and moved it out of the downloads folder, that there was another 'saba...' file in there.

I will get back to you tomorrow, I've already identified the files I need to change and will send you the changes to make tomorrow when I can think clearer - it's late here in Middle Tennessee USA. Just glad it's WORKING as-is now.

Now other's can enjoy this like @neketow and @EvanHellaFlush can see the map WITH terrain.

It does work. More to come tomorrow.

--Zzzzzzz...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice