School PCs and Beamng....lol

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Deleted member 1747, Jan 6, 2016.

1. wearyNATE15

wearyNATE15
    Expand Collapse

AND the best part is you try to say what may be wrong or volentier to try to fix it and they are like OMG THE WORLD IS GOING TO END STOP I WILL CALL THE TECH

2. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Also, it's always funny when our derpy IT teacher "doesn't get the darn thing to work" so the two biggest idiots in the course (who think they're the two smartest) try to fix it but can't do it, so then they need to get a teacher who knows his shiet who gets it done in 20 seconds because it was a loose cable or a wrong setting.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

A very strange, inefficient, and outright wrong way to do school networking:

The majority of my county school system is on the subnet 10.0.0.0/8. That includes active directory. One benefit, any student who is already in the system can log in to (almost) any computer from any school. However, there are a number of problems with this, including the fact that it takes 3 to 5 minutes to log on. And if someone gains access to the active directory (I have, without messing with anything, because I'm not an ass) they can wreak havoc on the entire school system, possibly even rendering (almost) every computer in every school completely useless.

Needless to say, it's an extremely stupid configuration, but who am I to say that? I'm not a "professional."

• Like Like x 2
  4. Giraffinator

Giraffinator
    Expand Collapse

I remember one time when the class was doing some sort of test, and finished early, and for some reason, I wasn't to move the mouse. AT. ALL. :confused: I was confused since I wasn't gonna do anything to the computer.

Another thing, the school used an "education" website which is OBVIOUSLY for 5 to 8 year-olds. Here's the catch, we has to use that website EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. We weren't allowed to do ANYTHING than that website.

5. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I remember the days of Net Send in my school it was the completely untraceable messaging service of my high school, it was so much fun messaging friends around the building and even pranking the headmaster a few dozen times it was all really good fun but it ended when the school upgraded to Windows NT :(

6. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Bwahahah the windows messenger service did this. I entirely remember this, it came up as a little light-grey warning box. We used to do this stuff all the time - granted I was in highschool/vo-tech in the late 90s and it was almost 20 years ago but it was awesome.

My add to this forum thread is that ~ once the work was done we used to break out my black-and-white 486 25mhz laptop and play TANK WARS (bomb30.exe i think), for dos. It was a hoot in computer class. We had a lot of fun until the janitor discovered pictures of the computer teacher on the cordless phone - with the cordless phone replaced by a stick of cartoon TNT. Here the afternoon class had found the pic and put it on the 3d maze screensaver bwahaha. They really came down on the class for that because it was right around the time Columbine massacre happened.

7. lyndon123

lyndon123
    Expand Collapse

on my school computers, ahh. if you even think about trying to download anything you will be found out and put in isolation. o and on some of the old Pentium 4 machines, notepad can crash them! really i bring in my laptop and spend it lessons on YouTube sometimes when we are not doing anything

8. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I had a file called "Start.bat" I put something that would start command prompt I am not kidding about this, 500,000 times and and it crashed every computer I put it on.....as a big joke it was so much fun doing that to unsuspecting people I made it look like a JPEG file and then it was doomsday for anyone who opened it....

9. lyndon123

lyndon123
    Expand Collapse

ha.. really on my school pcs, crashing them and making them blue screen is really fun. also making as many PowerPoint slides as possible and then send them to teachers

10. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I know god it was fun messing around with that I had a grand plan of crashing the server but I never did that but I was once accused of wiping a computers BIOS I was hauled out of class and I said I have no idea and they said I had wiped it and I told them I couldnt have and I proved it because there was a 30 second window they had and my best to find the jumper and swap it was about 3 minutes so a bug caused a BIOS wipe....phew

• Like Like x 1
  11. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

I cycled past my school today, and literally just sitting in the grass there was a 2004 eMac, I remember using it, it was working flawlessly. But it was behind locked gates, and they weigh a ton. I would've carried it home with my friend but obviously it was inside. They're in the process of demolishing the old buildings, and there was a lot of people working on gutting the building, from the outside and inside :(

12. mumboking

mumboking
    Expand Collapse

Make some kind of attempt to grab it.

13. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

I was thinking of doing something like that, but last time they left something interesting outside it was gone the next day. It's probably too late now.

14. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

I actually landed my first IT job @ 17 as an intern for the state by hacking the school's FORTRESS hardware security on a 486 computer in the library. Not to do anything bad, but at first try it took me 24 seconds to get in from walking up to a booted computer in Win 3.11 for Workgroups. I could get to a command prompt in seconds will full access to the system. I showed this to the IT guy and he said 'how would you like a job' after he tested me a bit. I had only been using PC's for about 3~something years at the time but I knew my stuff. There wasn't security anywhere I couldn't get past - granted this was 1998~99 I believe IIRC, but still. Never did anything malicious with it but for the record it's called an 'ethical hacker'. Never used to for personal gain aside of that sole incident, so hence it was never illegal. I actually made the institution much safer after this. Though a mere 6 weeks later I was framed and fired from the state for working too hard by a lazy 360lbs schmuck who was my boss named Mark Loy. I'll never forget that. The 6 weeks I had there was fantastic. Security on 99% of networks still leaves a LOT to be desired. The only one that's truly secure is pulling the plug!

15. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

The school just put a bunch of pictures on Facebook of our new building and boy imma enjoy playin Beam at lunch on these Skylake PCs...a good replacement for the old Dell OptiPlex Pentium D machines
    Screenshot_20160909-103825.png

16. MachineMan1

MachineMan1
    Expand Collapse

Our school has i5 NUCs. These can run Minecraft at full settings (only lag is when in areas with a ton of mobs). Not sure how they'd work with Beam though.

17. SuperNoob05

SuperNoob05
    Expand Collapse

School has 3 computer rooms. One has mid end Haswell i5's, 4GB of RAM, Win10. Other two run P4's, 3GB RAM and Vista/XP.

18. Cable_jr

Cable_jr
    Expand Collapse

Well, I graduated from elemtary school last year (2016) with the tech award, but that's another story... Many of the other graduates knew me for something else...

What happens when you tell a 14 year old he is going to be fixing an otiplex 760 and give him a days notice? What happens when the supervising IT technician says he is going to be away that day as well?

Well, I'll tell you what happens... The 14 year old goes and buys the following:

Asus sabertooth 990 fx motherboard
    GTX 780
    AMD FX-8350
    8 GB RAM DDR3
    800 watt PSU
    And a 1 TB WD HDD

It sits in the computer lab with none of the teachers knowing (as far as I know they have no clue) and kids still fight over it.

I also put a 10 GB file on the student shared drive of just games and a steam account... I love having access to the teacher logins, the IT teacher told me his...

I remember playing games like CSGO and gmod rather nicely during a work period. Don't worry, I passed with straight A's...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Savage.

20. AllTerrainOutlaw

AllTerrainOutlaw
    Expand Collapse

our middle school pc where so bad i could even run 18 wos haulin at lowest settings and even it was lagging

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice