Scratch Decals?

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by bluehawk360, Dec 25, 2016.

1. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

thats a bit of the issue, but its possible. as of now i just copy pasted the mesh and applied a different texture over it. and cut the parts in pieces. its not that much of an issue and it lets it have multiple scratch points. so if you only hit the front fender it will only scratch that. and so on. whats why i made it like that.
    But as i said, this is kind of the first concept so its not perfect.

2. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

I say keep working on it if you feel inclined! I like the idea and getting it to work at an acceptable level would probably be welcomed by many.
    I can provide ideas and feedback if it would help. Even if you had a small, detailed (higher resolution), areas that displayed scratches in a
    very modest form it would look cool in my opinion. Perhaps a variety of textures could be used for different looks/effects?...ie some with rust,
    some a bit darker steel color, some that look freshly exposed and shiny metal. The shapes, angles and orientation of the scratches could be
    assigned to different areas of the vehicle to provide a form of randomness perhaps?

3. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

As of now its using 1 small texture which can repeat itself. im not that good with textures so i would need help with that.

4. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

My texture creation abilities are severely lacking. I suppose this sort of application takes knowledge of layers and transparency. I know my way
    around GIMP a little so perhaps now is the time to learn those basics.

5. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

This is the texture that i used for anyone wondering. Its the one from Dirt showdown i think.
    I dont have normal, or specular maps either.
    I would like to finish it and upload it on the repo but i will not be able to if i keep the same texture. But its working well.

Attached Files:

6. bluehawk360

bluehawk360
    Expand Collapse

upload_2016-12-26_21-12-17.png
    Found a picture that shows a pretty good way of showing scratches. It looks like the scratch is very heavy at the front, and fades out towards the back
    --- Post updated ---
    We don't expect it to be perfect (not to be offensive) You were able to implement this feature to a car within what? 10 hours of my first post? (on top of that you were a bit hung)

I personally appreciate the effort you're putting into this thread and hope that we can get this all to work out

7. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

"was a bit hung" lmao, cracked me up there.
    Not really offensive either. im not good with textures at all so i cant realy make one even if i tried. i mean, i could try but it would obviously look absolutely horrible. ill draw a grey pixelated line and call it a day because thats literally all i can do.
    I dont expect it to be perfect either, i know that the scratches is a highly requested thing for beamng and thatd why i would love to keep it up. but as of now this is all i was able to do. if i were to make fading textures i would need someone that can create those kinds of textures. i could make the rest.

8. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

The only thing I could think of is using a new texture layer for scratches, where it's alpha is multiplied by vertex color/weight. Vertex color/weight would only increment when sparks are flying, and it'd probably look decent at least.

Don't know if that's a possibility though D:

9. 98crownvic

98crownvic
    Expand Collapse

It was the codename: fullsize or something like that. It was an Oldsmobile sedan.

10. BowlerHatJack

BowlerHatJack
    Expand Collapse

http://www.beamng.com/resources/codename-oldsfullsize.1417/

Also the crd monster truck's zombie shell's arms also have this feature.

11. bluehawk360

bluehawk360
    Expand Collapse

Okay... Well do we know anybody who's good at making textures, or that can help us learn how to?

12. Spiicy

Spiicy
    Expand Collapse

Get paint.net or gimp for the textures and look up png s online or somthing

13. Matthew98

Matthew98
    Expand Collapse

Hey there, guys. I would love to have scratches in the game as well and maybe I can help a little bit. I somehow managed to flip my citroen saxo VTS on side (In real life, though .... Doh ! ) So, here you go with some pics... It is really similar to BeamNGs ibishu covet. As you can see, the scratches are minor there, because it was sliding mostly on dirt. Hope it helps.

Attached Files:

• 2016-10-26165554.jpg
    • 2016-10-2616560501.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  14. NooBeeNaut

NooBeeNaut
    Expand Collapse

Totally keep working on it! Id looove to see you post that as a mod so I can try it myself! Yeah, it may be a little rough, but its a start! And we all have to start somewhere

• Agree Agree x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice