Shape editor bug? can't add levels of detail anymore.

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by jammin2222, Jul 1, 2015.

1. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

I get an error whenever I try add a new level of detail to a model. This is the first time I have imported a model since the new documents cache folders was added, and seems like a killer bug.
    Capture.JPG
    It used to let me add lower levels of detail and collision meshes, whats changed?

I have tried it on several different models in two different maps and its the same each time.

How it used to work:
    • import high detail model
    • open shape editor
    • click detail tab, set detail size to a good value
    • set drop down box to "new detail"
    • click "import shape into"
    • pick collada from drop down box and browse to low detail model
    • model then shows up in the shape editor and you and input the detail size
    • Click "import shape into" again and repeat until all LOD's and collision meshes are added.

where it messes up now:

• import high detail model (fine but materials are missing unlike I remember)
    • open shape editor
    • click detail tab, set detail size to a good value
    • set drop down box to "new detail"
    • click "import shape into"
    • pick collada from drop down box and browse to low detail model
    • Error (in first picture)
    Here is the console messages

Capture2.JPG
    (unrelated side note, the highlighted line would explain why models no longer import with materials?) :(

Thanks for any help guys as without a solution my map making days are over.

#1 jammin2222, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  2. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

I like how much effort you put into blocking out your username, but it's still there twice :p

3. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

I'm blind as a bat!

Any suggestions on a solution though?

4. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

Precisely one reason why it helps when your user is just "Owner"

5. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

can anyone at least replicate this or is it just me?

6. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

Am I correct in thinking you make your map in Documents/beamng/levels/mods?

If so, then there is definitely a bug because if I put my map in steamapps/common/beamng/levels the shape editor behaves like it used to, and I can setup LOD/collision meshes!
    It would seem they haven't fully switched everything over to work from the new folder locations in My Documents. Its having a hard time reading the files from the Documents folder but not the steamapps/common/beam folder.

I noticed a similar read error with materials too.
    Where should I make my map, it seems I will run into bugs where ever I put it.

Can one of the dev's look into this or enlighten me on why it needs to be like this, if this is intended behavior?

7. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

LODS are not done from the editor itself. If you look in the wiki there is guide on creating static objects that covers that, and you can also have a look at some official assets by importing the DAE in your modelling software.

8. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

I use sketchup so I can't make a model with LOD's and collision meshes built into one .dae file. The shape editor does allow you to use a separate .dae file for each LOD and combine them into one object. (Just not from the Documents folders)

So I would make several separate models. Each one representing a different detail level or collision mesh. I then import the highest detail object first, open the shape editor, and import the next LOD in the correct order ending with the collision mesh last. So you are incorrect in your assumption that LOD's can't be done in the shape editor as that's exactly how I have done the LOD's in all my maps before the Documents folders were implemented.

The problem I was having is due to the editor not accepting new LOD's while the map is in the documents folder. Seems like something the editor looks for hasn't been pointed to the new location in Documents correctly. Hence why it fails to import the file.

If I move the map to the steamapps /common/beam/levels folder it works as expected, and I can set up the model just fine. So for now as a work around I will have to work for the common/beamng/levels folder and not the documents folders like we are meant to.

Hear is my really old crusty tutorial I made when I first figured out how to set up the LOD's with the shape editor. It saves me the frustration of using Blender, that's the only reason I do it like this.

It would be great if this worked from the documents folder like I would expect it to.

#8 jammin2222, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice