1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Should I buy on mac?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vinnyxo, Nov 30, 2013.

1. vinnyxo

vinnyxo
    Expand Collapse

I have mac and I have the demo and its amazing, Im using cross over ATM to run it. I was considering buying the full version of the game. I have the money but I'm afraid I wont be able to get it to work. If anyone has done this help would be appreciated.

2. Mihle Gaming

Mihle Gaming
    Expand Collapse

you get more hardware for the money if you buy PC... and if you want to know why, it is because mac is overpriced.

3. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

People have managed to run it in Crossover the same way as the tech demo, I think installation is a bit trickier, best way to handle that is probably to install on a windows computer (wish people would stop calling it PC) and copy the install folder onto the mac.

For gaming, windows does win unfortunately. But the situation on other platforms is improving. BeamNG likely wont be hitting mac.

4. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

The prices of Apple products are reasonable. Design, R&D, and marketing isn't free, you know.
    Also, your post is totally useless. He wants to buy Drive, not a PC ffs.

Buy it. If it doesn't work (though it should), you can always request a refund.

5. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Not to turn this into a flame war, but my first laptop cost me £379, the equivalently specced macbook was £1200 at the time yet utilised more or less the same hardware. Macbook would have probably had better build quality and I think it had 1gb more RAM, but thats not work an extra £800 to me.

The mac mini is their only reasonably priced product (hard pressed to find a windows machine with similar specs at a lower price). Everything else is inflated.

iPhone. £500, not specced much higher than £200 android phone.

They spend on marketing and design. R&D is near non existent except as a subset of design. A6, so far proven to be a cortex A15 with a modified decoder. A7. non modified ARM reference design ARMv8 (although apple are yet to claim otherwise). GPU is PowerVR dual core, except in A7 where they updated to quad. Their motherboard chipset although non standard, wasnt designed by apple. CPU's on their mac branded products, bog standard intel kit. They dont have anything unusual that requires much R&D anymore, apples days of innovation have passed, even M7 is thought to be based around a normal ARM core.

To stay on topic. If you are confident in running the techdemo via crossover or similar, go ahead and get the alpha, it should also work fine. If it doesnt work, the dev team are reasonably good about refunds.

6. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Good points you've raised there. Just reiterating that their costliness is justified by things other than "muh specs", but I have to agree that Apple marks their products up quite a lot (iPhone pricing being utter bullshit hue) more than their competitors.

I'd go back on topic if I had something worthwhile to contribute, I swear~

7. vinnyxo

vinnyxo
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I do agree, Macs are overpirced. You could build a much better computer for less the price of a mac. But thats all I have. I do have a windows computer but it runs like garbage, Its quite old, so what do ya expect.

8. LuxorSlopski

LuxorSlopski
    Expand Collapse

you sure about that? think before you speak

9. AirSKiller

AirSKiller
    Expand Collapse

Please, stop, the question has been answer. Now it's just a pointless discussion...

10. Svpracer

Svpracer
    Expand Collapse

If you really want the game (its worth it) then look at dual booting (bootcamp) windows 7. I did that on my Mac and it works great.

11. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

A) Perhaps you should get on the apple store and then any other PC store before speaking, look at spec lists, apple have massive price inflation on all models except the mini when compared to their windows rivals.
    B) Old thread, nobody cares.

12. kruleworld

kruleworld
    Expand Collapse

It's not entirely that apple is greedy, but their platform is not open to 3rd party manufacturers. That's why Intel platform is (generally) cheaper and has a wider range of product. Same reason that VHS was more popular than Beta.

expect you do what other windows users do, UPGRADE! a better video card and more ram will liven up any old pc.

13. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

You realise macs are also intel right and that the altered motherboard chipset actually only costs about 2 cents more than that used in "PC" motherboards? The actual hardware cost of an apple machine is no more than a windows machine.

14. Jon

Jon
    Expand Collapse

I would go for a windows based system even if the macs had the same price for their hardware (and software), simply because it's easier to swap out parts on the machine and you will have less problems related to gaming in general.

15. simon48

simon48
    Expand Collapse

Yes, you can buy a cheaper PC that has the same specs for the RAM, CPU, GPU and screen size then a Mac. This is the big thing people don't realize, you are paying more for things that aren't on the PC's spec sheet so you don't see a comparison. Macs almost always have much better batteries, build quality, displays, last longer, way, way smaller chance of getting viruses, I could go on. If you're getting a computer just for gaming, beyond a doubt build your own PC, but if it's going to be your main computer I say hands down get a Mac. The newer high-end Macs can game quite decently with Bootcamp and no one says you don't get cooler if you also have a dedicated gaming rig. ;)

Also this is personal preference, but Mac OS X is so much better then Windows. Just try setting up a printer or playing with iPhoto, I have gotten people to switch just by showing them those things. I could go on with all the littler things like the MagSafe (the magnetic power adapter), cheap to free OS upgrades, them not looking like a black brick, the trackpads not sucking etc., it really adds up when you look a everything. So don't knock it until you really look into it and try it.

16. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Plug USB cable between printer and computer, wait for the progress bar to finish (which in my case took under 5 seconds), tada. Because it takes a rocket scientist to install a printer now. No seriously, windows 8 if a device is not already native plug and play can check against windows update automatically to see if microsoft have a driver for it, in order to say something is windows 8 compatible on the box the manufacturer has to submit its drivers to windows update too, pretty much turns everything into plug and play hardware.
    Magsafe I doubt is make or break for most people, especially considering here we seem to mostly concern ourselves with desktops which wouldnt benefit from such a thing.
    Trackpads are abysmal. I'm sorry but they are absolutely terrible. My HP sleekbook costs less than an entry level macbook and has a touchpad that feels so much nicer to use, the default scroll gesture direction is different on the two but both OSX and windows allow you to change a setting to alter it anyway so its a case of user preference. I absolutely despise setups where you have to click the entire trackpad. And once again, I think we mostly concern ourselves with desktops on this forum rather than laptops, but trackpads are important to a good laptop purchase so one could consider it I guess.
    Your OS upgrades are more or less service packs, which surprise surprise are free on windows yet used to be charged for on OSX. Come on, the last time they added a major feature was when they released intel versions.
    Not all windows machines are black bricks, and funnily enough the most recent apple product is a black cylinder....
    There are windows machines with better battery lives than apple machines. Most of them cost less too.
    The odd one is the retina display on the macbooks. Damn nice display. OSX DPI scaling sucks though (windows isnt any better) so text ends up absolutely tiny on it :p You can play with settings for ages to try and get it the right size, you can put up with it or take the option which everyone I know with a macbook retina has done and turn the display resolution down.

Their build quality is phenomonal though.

There is an apple product which I do love. That is the mac mini. For something so small its pretty powerful and most windows equivalents are either poor build quality or just as expensive. I want one, I have no need for one, but I want it. I would probably ditch OSX and load linux onto it though.

Apple malware is on the rise by the way. OSX has never been less prone to malware than windows. its always been a case of there being more windows users than osx users so malware developers can usually get better reward for their effort by targetting windows systems. OSX use is increasing so malware targetting OSX is now more viable and beginning to appear more frequently.

17. simon48

simon48
    Expand Collapse

I've only setup a printer on one Windows 8 computer, but it didn't work like that. The drivers weren't plug and play or able to be downloaded from Windows update and getting it to work wirelessly was a huge pain. Maybe I just got unlucky.

You are missing my point, I said this was a smaller thing and really who would buy a computer just for this? My point was Macs have all those really nice small things that by them selves aren't a big deal at all, but put them all together and they really add up.

You have got to be kidding me!? I have literally never heard anyone prefer A PC trackpad. Your preference I know, but I could get a room of people together who like the MBPs trackpads better. It takes a little getting used to and you have to know to click at the bottom of the trackpad (with the side of of your thumb works well) on a Mac. I'm assuming you don't like tap to click (I sure don't)? Mac trackpads just have a much better feel to them, they have so much more control especially when two finger scrolling. Again little thing, but it adds up.

You do realize there're yearly right? They're going with small and often vs Windows big and infrequent. Not saying one is better than the other, but you seem to think OS X upgrades are like a service pack which they're not, they actually do add a significant number of features and every few months they release a "service pack like" maintenance update.

You really are making it really hard to keep this from being a war, I'm fine with a civil debate, but my God. I never said all Windows machines are black bricks and the new Mac Pro is black, but it is far from a brick.

I never said there were not Windows machines with better battery of life then a Macs, I said "most" and yes, some of them will cost less.

Ha ha! You do realize that you're supposed to run it on the pixel doubled mode (Best Retina, see my image) so everything isn't small right? The other options are only if you want more screen real estate or for everything to be really big.

Screen Shot 2014-01-04 at 2.20.23 PM.png

I have to agree about the build quality. I haven't looked into Mac Mini size things for Windows though. You don't like OS X? I don't mind when Linux, but I like OS X a lot better for my main OS.

I know that malware for OS X is on the rise. Yes, a huge reason there's less malware is due to the smaller marketshare of OS X. The one thing you are missing is OS X is more secure by default due to being a derivative of UNIX. But anyway good computer security really comes down to common sense practices while using your computer.

18. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I'll leave the rest, as you say it may just turn into direct flaming. I think we would just have to agree to disagree in order to remain civil.

Regarding windows equivelants to the mac mini. There are quite a few machines in that form factor, a few are mounted upright though instead of flat like the mini, no biggy. But on the low end you get them with intel atoms, very little storage or RAM, cheap plastic casings and usually they have an external power brick. Going up you eventually introduce some that have higher specs or like the mini do not require an external power brick or have a decent case or a combination of the previous, but when you having a decent spec, internal power supply and a nice casing on it you are in the mac mini territory. There are some nice ones, a few with blueray drives even, not many.

I havent had a virus on windows, but like you say, common sense practices. I do know plenty of people who have had viruses, it can happen to anyone, but most of the time if you think about what you are doing you can stay safe regardless of chosen OS.

19. Hemi

Hemi
    Expand Collapse

Everyone stop with the Mac Vs PC rubbish. Each os has its pros and cons, leave it at that. OP already owns a Mac and there is no sense telling him what he should have bought if he already owns it. And the question has been answered at this point, thread can be locked.

20. simon48

simon48
    Expand Collapse

You do realize we stopped already?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice