Solved Skybox deprecation in BeamNG

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by Aboroath, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Hello!

I am having difficulties with skybox creation yet again. I feel it is time to just ask the question
    of whether or not skyboxes in BeamNG are going to be deprecated and what are the plans
    for atmospherics in BeamNG. I just need a solid and honest answer so I am not wasting precious
    time and resources for nothing.

Thank you for your time guys.

Aboroath

• Like Like x 1
  2. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Hmmm....a familiar deja' vu' has come over me. You see, I have this problem processing denial.
    My 19 year old flaxen haired virgin who makes potato salad with bacon hasn't knocked on my door
    offering to pay my rent and rub my back, yet.

I continue to meekly mutter 'hello?' in my cavernous dead horse littered vault of denial.........hello?
    The ringing echos are deafening......

3. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Was already sleeping when you posted question hurr.

AFAIK, there is no plan to deprecate skyboxes (why there should be?)

4. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for replying Nadeox. I keep hearing the same vague thing about skyboxes not going anywhere but weird problems
    continue to crop up. You yourself advised not use them awhile back. I am just trying to get an answer or input as to the future
    of this specific part of T3D in BeamNG. They always seem to be 'off' or 'on' depending on what the current build is and when
    I (the only one on earth it seems), makes enough noise about it something may get mentioned about skyboxes getting fixed
    in a devlog.

I don't mean to rant or whine but I really like the skybox theory and they make for wonderful varied skies. Nothing concrete has
    ever been said about them from hardly anyone and the little that has been said gets me thinking they are not much of a priority.

I would just like feedback on the subject if possible. My current issues with creating and keeping a skybox might be better handled
    in a more proper mod help request.

5. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Actually, you remembered me what I said in the past. Scratch what I said above.

Skyboxes are treated in different ways in DirectX11. When we actually moved to DirectX11, they broke down (we didn't realize immediately as none of the official maps uses them anymore).
    They were fixed (hack-ish way) just for the time being.
    At the moment we haven't spoke if to keep them or not (I mean, if we can make them work properly, why should we remove them).
    That's a feature only mods are using at the moment, so it's quite low priority currently.
    There are some major changes planned for later, and we have to see how those will impact with the skyboxes and etc.

tl;dr it's uncertain

6. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Ahhhh.....DX11. This is the kind of info I was looking for and it makes much more sense now. Thank you. I hope going forward
    you guys can keep this feature implemented. I think the response to maps done with good quality skyboxes speaks for itself. Having
    the added animating cloud layers with a skybox can be an incredibly atmospheric experience and is very rewarding to see in action.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice