Skylake gaming build

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by pillojon106, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Cira

Cira
    Expand Collapse

2. Samuel1995

Samuel1995
    Expand Collapse

Sorry but I dont understand. xD Lets see if I get it. Thats the i3 4330, not 4130, and those are synthetic benchmarks that uses all i3 threads.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/302/Intel_Core_i3_i3-4130_vs_Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core_G3258.html

Single thread performance is similar, but multithread performance is 23% better in the i3 because of HT.

Watch:

Here you got the G3258 at 4.2 GHz vs the i3 4130, at 3:30 the pentium performs terrible vs the i3 and the i3 is running at 800 MHz less.

And here's another video, altough is G3258 vs 860K it shows how unstable the G3258 is (2:55​), even tought it is overclocked @ 4.7 GHz:

So yeah I dont get that "Meaning once the 4 real cores on the 4790K are utilized to the max HT won't help anything". Not mention that the i3 performs way better than the 860K in games.

#42 Samuel1995, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  3. pillojon106

pillojon106
    Expand Collapse

Ok this thread was about giving me advise about my brothers build and it turned into and argument over an i5 vs i7. This is how I see it. The i5 is great for gamers. The i7 is great for file compression/uncompression, encoding/decoding, and game streaming programs such as OBS and XSplit. Hyperthreading does and will not really benefit in games accept a couple of them. I will get the i7 if I was doing any of those tasks but no. Just gaming. The i7 is not worth the extra $100 if you are just gaming. The end.

4. Samuel1995

Samuel1995
    Expand Collapse

Sorry I'm disagree, this has turned into something REAL! xD

I dont think that the i7 itself worth 100$ (or even 75$ if you jump to the 4770) more. But once you realize how much a Z97/170 motherboard costs against a mainstream H81 and that the 4790K is already overclocked and has HT which does help a bit today and sure it will help more in the future, then you realize that choosing one is a bit harder.

I know you cant because of gen 3 m.2. Nevermind, enjoy your 6600K and hopefully you'll use it with Dolphin emulator that seems to have a good performance increase with Skylake.

5. pillojon106

pillojon106
    Expand Collapse

The 4790k isn't already overclocked. The 4.4ghz speed is the turbo boost speed and the h81 only overclocks the pentium g3258.

6. Samuel1995

Samuel1995
    Expand Collapse

I mean, if you compare the 4790K vs the 4790 non K or the 4690K, the 4790K is overclocked 400 MHz more, all of them at stock speed.

By the way, that thing of non Z of with the Pentium G3258 seems to have problems with Windows 10

#46 Samuel1995, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  7. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

mfw this thread has exploded

High end CPU on low end board, don't do it, the motherboard is definitely NOT a place to save money.
    i5 vs i7, only better in some games, no difference in most, not worth $100, this is where you save money.
    Z97 vs H81, Z boards are built much better, the H boards will always have a lower return rate since people don't try to (can't) push 1.6V+ through their VRMs, which would by the way get fried at anything slightly higher than stock voltages.
    G3258 OC on H81, nope, H81 does not allow modifications to the clock multiplier. You can try increasing the BCLK, but that will get you 100-200MHz at best and cause your system to become awfully unstable, since you can't increase voltage.

8. Samuel1995

Samuel1995
    Expand Collapse

I've shown you a RMA list showing that H81 motherboards are safer than even H97/87 ones, and those aren't supposed to push 1.6V either.

The G3258 can be overclocked on non-Z mobos, not by increasing the BCLK, many non Z motherboards let you increase the G3258 multiplier, altought not all of them will let you touch voltages.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2389948

It would be interesting if you explain why the motherboard is not a place to save money.

#48 Samuel1995, Aug 24, 2015
  9. pillojon106

pillojon106
    Expand Collapse

Ok... If you guys want to keep arguing over this thread, make another one. But I'll answer that question.
    The motherboard houses all of the components ok? If it is crappy quality and lacks features like overclocking, voltage control, and other things like that, then you are making a stupid mistake. Z97 and in this case Z170 has all the features everybody needs. Yes it might be less reliable than h81, but who cares. I have a z87 board that overclocked my 4690 to 4.0 ghz using the base clock to increase. It has not failed me at all.

10. Samuel1995

Samuel1995
    Expand Collapse

Things like that no, a H87 motherboard gives you everything that a z87 does, except overclock, and I've said what I think about that.

How can you complain about crappy quality if you don't care about its reliableness? Man, motherboards quality have improved over the last years, this is not the 2000s when ASRock won their famous bad reputation, even though I still have an old PC with a pentium 3 and a ASRock motherboard and it is still working.

What higher motherboards give you is better integrated features like audio, but still it is a sh*t, even those "overclock gaming platinum thunder f@ck" of 300$ ones has a stupid high Zout over 50 ohms when a dirty cheap Xonar DG has a Zout of 22 ohm. What I would never recommend is a motherboard with one PCI-E 16x and nothing else.

With AMD it is recommended to pick a motherboard with at least 4+1 power phase and heatsinked mosfet and VRM but, you can buy those heatsinks really cheap and put them onto any motherboard that you want.

Oh and there's nothing else to argue about your brothers build , the rest is about the GPU and I told you to wait for the R9 Nano to see how it performs.

#50 Samuel1995, Aug 24, 2015
  11. Cira

Cira
    Expand Collapse

Argueing for the sake of the argument. Gotta love it.

12. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Well at least the first page is informative.:p

13. pillojon106

pillojon106
    Expand Collapse

Ya I'm stopping the argument... I have a computer related question!!! What version of the gtx 970 is best?

14. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

I would have no idea being a laptop guy but your question may start this all over again...lol.

15. Cira

Cira
    Expand Collapse

16. Razer-11

Razer-11
    Expand Collapse

for me personally the EVGA GTX 970 is best in Holland, but the biggest reason I'm choosing EVGA or like Asus Strix or Gigabyte is also the customer services they have, + the EVGA GTX 970 I'm getting is a bit cheaper than the strix or gigabyte versions. Imo you should just go for the brand you know the most about.

17. Michaelflat1

Michaelflat1
    Expand Collapse

the asus turbo 970 is pretty cool, its white and red and has a blower style cooling

18. NistingurA

NistingurA
    Expand Collapse

MSI ?? I have a MSI 960 4G Gaming. it´s great.

19. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

I'm sure I've written about this a while ago on these forums. The search system however is utter rubbish so I'm unable to find it. Well, here we go again, will save it this time.

There are four 970 models you'll want to look at: EVGA's ACX 2, MSI's Twin Frozr V (or TFV for short), ASUS' Strix, and Gigabyte's G1. The reference card looks pretty, but unless you're planning to liquid cool it, it's utterly useless and will only get you a worse cooler and lower clocks.

EVGA's ACX 2 is a great card for many reasons: You get EVGA's great build quality, and their support is great too, especially if you live in the US. The ACX 2.0 cooler is a pretty standard dual fan cooler, but it does a really good job of cooling the GPU and is also very quiet. It can stop the fans completely when temperatures and load are low, so it's completely silent when idle. The SSC and FTW models are great overclockers. The black plastic shroud also goes well with pretty much any components, if you have a windowed case.

I own an MSI TFV 970, and it's really good. Great for overclocking, and the cooler is simply amazing. The fans are 100mm as opposed to the ACX's and Strix's 92mm, which allows them to spin slightly slower for the same airflow. Very quiet even at full speed (never really goes over 50% when gaming anyway), runs cool at 60-62C in a Corsair 450D (could be cooler if there wasn't an HDD cage blocking most of its airflow), and just like the EVGA card, it can stop the fans when idle or under light load, making it completely silent. It's also the only cooler that controls its fans individually to reduce noise, making it one of, if not the quietest 970 cooler. It's also very thin, which allows for good airflow on SLI setups. Unlike the other cards however it doesn't have a backplate (it still has a metal bit to stop it from sagging, but backplates look cool), and the red/black colours might not go very well with all builds. Bonus points for LED-lit dragons.

The ASUS Strix is rather similar to the MSI in clock speeds. It's also cooled by a dual-fan cooler with a medium sized heatsink, although it has smaller, slightly faster fans. It can also stop its fans when idle. It's slightly worse at overclocking, and lacks the individual fan control and is slightly louder, but it's still very quiet, and it has a backplate and a very nice looking metal shroud. It's also usually the cheapest of the four cards. It's all black which makes it look very nice with any build too, and is IMO the best looking of the four.

And finally, the G1. This is a beast card with a massive triple-fan beast cooler with an equally massive heatsink. It's one of the largest graphics cards in the market at 315mm long, so you'll have to make sure it fits in your case. In most cases with modular HDD cages, they have to be removed for the card to fit. Because of the three smaller, faster fans however it's quite a bit louder, and IIRC, it cannot stop the fans, only lower their speed. If it does fit in your case though, and you don't mind the extra noise, it's very easily the best performing of the 970s. It overclocks better than anything else (even EVGA's FTW), and certainly runs cooler than anything else, even when overclocked. You can even match the performance of a stock-clocked reference 980 with some overclocking. It also gets the highest factory OC at 1329MHz. It looks great too, and has a metal shroud, and obviously a huge backplate to keep it from sagging (and it's still likely to sag quite a bit, the heatsink's just that heavy).

So if you want maximum performance, you should go for a G1 or, if your case won't fit it or you want something quieter, EVGA ACX2 SSC/FTW. If you want the quietest card, go for the MSI TFV. And if you want a really nice looking card, that still performs great and is a bit cheaper, go for the ASUS Strix.

You should probably wait before buying a new card, however. DX12 benchmarks have shown a Radeon 290X matching the performance of a 980 Ti. AMD's architecture is much better for the async-compute based DX12, and if Nvidia doesn't somehow improve DX12 performance on 900 series and older cards, AMD might just be the better option. Of course, if you want a graphics card with a reasonable heat output level for under $400, the 970 is all you've got, at least until AMD releases a cheaper Fiji-based product.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice