WIP Beta released So-Cal Interstate Highway ver 8 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by bob.blunderton, Apr 25, 2016.

?

What's your favorite part about BeamNG.Drive freeway driving (select up to 3)?

Poll closed May 17, 2016.
  1. The flat, open straight-aways for maximum speed.

56.3%
  2. The winding corners to challenge driving skill.

32.3%
  3. The interchanges, intersections, and other junctions.

54.5%
  4. The cliffs to fall off of at high speed to bash the car's fluffy-stuff out.

22.2%
  5. The ability to use this for police pursuits, vehicle takedowns, and other AI-related things.

56.3%
  6. Missions that make use of the highway and highway driving.

15.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. coolman123456

coolman123456
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

i have 8192GB RAM
    --- Post updated ---
    woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo it works!
    --- Post updated ---
    CASE CLOSED

2. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

upload_2016-5-14_15-39-18.png
    I guess I have the same problem :( I have 8 gb RAM, I7 6700hq and a 4gb 950m v2
    Edit:
    I don't have the 'old' one installed, maybe that could cause problems if it uses the same files? I am downloading it now to test that
    Edit 2:
    It works now, you need Nevada for it!
    I will make a review today or tomorrow :) (text and screenshots )

#42 Blijo, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
  3. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

the maps are supposed to be independent of one another, however, if you fixed it by downloading nevada interstate, that would be why.
    I built this off the base of nevada interstate, deleting everything in the map and starting anew with fresh USGS terrain and all. I mean, why RE-invent the wheel (ofcourse, nevada was based on Ouerbacker's Black Hills, but his permission is inherited as the permission was for 'any of my maps' and things from 'any of his'), when the old one worked and was well-received.
    So I will chalk this up to either something I missed, or something that is obviously not very clear in the editor - or both. I will remedy this in the future. Most of the users of Nevada Interstate come here, so this is why only a small amount of folks had an issue.
    Thank-you for following the advice, and clarifying this. I will look through and find the reference that's broken and figure it out, hopefully this won't happen in the future. There's quite a bit of ambiguity to this editor being pre-release, and not a lot in tutorials.

'Tis the nature of the beast, unfortunately.

--------
    Future plans for this map, are about another dozen miles of side-road, atleast 6~12 miles of trail (rough trail, not speed trail) for the offroad folks here, and some more flooded roadway. Lots more jumps will be added (no, you won't be able to 'land' all of them as some could make the car into a pancake or a Car-B-Q...), to increase the fun as the ones in the map have been well received. Signs will also be added (flooded road that-a-way, arrows, route designations, road conditions etc). I'd like to get the total of all roads up to 100+ miles. It's already 83% of the way there, and add some buildings once it's done. Again, as stated in previous, buildings, signs, and non-essentials will be added LAST so that folks with potato video cards (I've got a spud-worthy Radeon 7850 2gb!) aren't left out in the cold! That's why there aren't any yet. It's a driving game, after-all (or crashing game!), not Doom, so we don't really 'need' map furniture such as buildings, etc.
    Please be aware that I've taken all things - feedback given - poll included - personal conversations from other Beam users, too - into consideration when building this. This could not have been anywhere near as good if not for all the people involved - including the under-loved and under-mentioned beta-tester crowd-turned-guinea-pigs. Hopefully you had more fun playing it than I did building it (I can't tell you how many times I inadvertantly ended up at the bottom of the cliff, or the ocean, without wanting to have fallen off the very cliff I just spent an hour or two making!!!). I am very sorry for the suffering I caused anyone with the 99% datablocks loading error, as stated above, download nevada interstate (or RE-READ 1st post!), it'll fix it until I get this straightened out some. On the bright side you get two maps for the low price of.... Two free maps! :)
    I will make note of this in the opening post. There will be more highway maps after this one including a (requested) Pennsylvania Turnpike map.

--Cheers.

#43 bob.blunderton, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
  4. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

Nice!
    I can help you with sketchup-buildings after my exams (last 24-5 or 5-25 :p) I enjoyed the map, and you will get a review tomorrow(for me)

Attached Files:

• screenshot_00016.png
    • screenshot_00017.png
    • screenshot_00018.png
    • screenshot_00023.png
  5. burilkovdeni

burilkovdeni
    Expand Collapse

For me it works unzipped, took only ~1m to load up. 16gb ram. 9 put it in the content levels area because my C: drive almost full....[steam is on d: drive.]
    20160514150052_1.jpg 20160514142605_1.jpg 20160514144357_1.jpg d.jpg 20160514144313_1.jpg 20160514144342_1.jpg

6. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Pic 2 is an unfinished bridge (needs abutments), Pic 4 is just me not nitpicking on the stone wall enough, the ground showed through.
    I will make sure these get touched up. The road, on pic 4, I think that's the south side of the map, where it goes up the hill to the left, is a bit bumpy where the incline starts, that has to be worked out, too. There's a few bumps on the east side, right after a four-lane goes under the highway (not on the highway itself, though), that also must be leveled out a bit. Things like bridges without pillars, or abutments (walls under each end of the bridge), are things that just aren't finished yet. I was working positively toward a deadline, and had some glitches come up at the last minute (literally), fixing this didn't spare me time for extra eye-candy. Work will continue, however, in a positive manner. Trails and a few more surface streets, another interchange or two (as needed) may be installed also. A town also needs to be built. Thank-you for trying the map out, and hope you enjoy it.
    Okay, that works! I could use any buildings you wish to donate. Strip malls, office buildings, ranch homes or spanish style homes, etc. Even run-down rickety abandoned buildings like are found after gold-mines die out, out west... that works too. Like I said, if it'd fit in the map, I am game for it. Credit will be given.

7. burilkovdeni

burilkovdeni
    Expand Collapse

2016-01-28_00005.jpg < I also have some sketchup meshes that I am willing to donate.

The bumpiest road for me was the one to the right of the spawn.

Oh yes I do enjoy the map, no lag smooth fps good map, good corners/straights, love the interchanges, great variety.

#47 burilkovdeni, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
  8. coolman123456

coolman123456
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

yeah its good,smooth and AWESOME:);):oops::cool:

9. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

i unfortunately still cant load the level. tried putting it in content, mods and documents/beamng.drive/levels. none worked, all got stuck on the loading 99% data blocks. console looks like the other peoples console.

10. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Road to the right of the spawn, the small 2-lane road, that hill going down isn't the best, but it's really supposed to be a 35~40mph section until about a quarter mile past the bridge. It will be smoothed out just a bit more. Wavy-ness isn't too bad but sharp bumps/dips/car tossers gotta go. There's a few hills in this map that look more like ocean waves, those ARE deliberate - and just for fun (they also are on otherwise boring rural side-roads). You will be able to bypass these a bit more readily in one spot (where there is already a bypass) in a later version of the map. They will remain, however, as an 'option'. Try getting the 800hp SBR4 mod, and blasting as fast as you can off some of them, heh heh. Hold gas to angle the nose up, or hold brake to nose dive the car. Can make some great wrecks with these :x

Overall glad you liked it, There will be even more variety when the paths are in. Including, shoreline paths and cliff-huggers (bolivia's death road, anyone?), like ones features in top gear where it's single lane with a huge cliff on rock gravel. There will also be a rural road that goes under quite a bit of water (2~3 feet of water for a while), after it curves down the mountain. There will also be a bridge missing in one spot, requiring carefully done jumps to cross (I will make this fairly easy, without a huge gap). Over-all this should give everyone a little something.
    I took a day or two off of editing to get some feedback. Thankyou to everyone who gave feedback and took time to write.

There is also an unfinished bridge, with no pillars, that noses up in the center, it's almost a mile long, that leads to an island in one of the corners of the map (Going to put something 'fun' out there (and re-do the bridge - yes it's ugly - it's only temporary so I can get to it, and the AI isn't pathed on it!).

--Cheers

11. coolman123456

coolman123456
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

YOU HAVE TO GET NEVADA INTERSTATE TO MAKE IT WORK

12. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Have you downloaded Nevada Interstate (linked up mid-way or most of the way through my 1st post?), to see if this corrects it? A few people reported that this fixes it. There seems to be some asset that [atleast for the next week or two] causes the map to get stuck as you say, without Nevada Interstate also present. It's not a total loss, it's another map with more of the same stuff, just less water and more buildings (seeing as this has No buildings!). I am sorry this is the way it is for the moment until I get a better look at what's broken. I think there's a terrain unit somewhere that is causing an issue. I will see what I can do, here. Something with that terrain block 0 error. I have to go through the torque3d forums on it.
    Unfortunately with this game pre-release and documentation between sparse and non-existant, not all errors can be avoided before-hand. I will most likely have a look at this tonight or tomorrow. Thank-you for taking the time to write in. Keep an eye on this forum thread over the course of the next few days to see if I've gained any progress on the matter. I'd like to have this fixed before the next Release Candidate is released in a week or two.

13. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

That did it! thanks! the level is tons of fun and looks great

14. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Duplicate datablock of 0 error resides in the scripting of the (unused) directory within the zip file
    Open up your zip file (of this map) and start going into directories, you'll see a directory structure in it, something like TSH\ART\BUILDINGS ... in the Buildings directory, knock out the folder called GM-light.
    Just delete the GM-light folder, those resources aren't needed yet, and won't be (due to the error).
    This cleared the datablock of 0 error from my console, see if it works for you folks.
    You needn't remove anything else (as this could break things for you).

Let me know if this works. If it does, got it on the first try.

15. mumboking

mumboking
    Expand Collapse

8192MB, very likely.
    8192GB, not likely.

16. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Hooray a map! See attatched 4096x4096 greyscale file :)
    Cali_layerMap_1_asphalt.png
    When you click, the image opens, hold CTRL and scroll mouse up and down to zoom. Or use CTRL plus or CTRL Minus, depending on your browser (hold control and hit plus or minus on keyboard).
    Or save the image and open with windows preview.
    Big maps are awesome, until you get totally lost! :x
    --Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  17. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Terrain graphics upgraded a bit. Much better now. Do you think a 4096x4096 map accepts a 4096 gfx without a fuss? Nooo-ooooo.... !@#%$ing undocumented @#^$........... *throws some old wood-grain tv sets*
    Well anyways, here's some pics of what RC3 will look like. The Datablock error should be fixed now for RC3, too. I will upload this in a day or two. I haven't added any new roads, as such won't be an essential download for those wanting more roads, but if your map won't load, this will be the ticket (it's also 19~20mb or so smaller, I think).

Attached Files:

• 20160515033117_1.jpg
    • 20160515033025_1.jpg
    • 20160515033130_1.jpg
    • 20160515033236_1.jpg
  18. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

Review of So-Cal Interstate Highway
    screenshot_00023.png

It is a map made by bob.blunderton, and it is a sequel to the Nevada Interstate map. I have played So-Cal today and yesterday, and this is my quick review:

Appearance: It looks like a desert(wow) and this desert is full of roads. Interstates, four-lanes, small roads, you name it. The highway is a 2+2 lane road, with no barriers and a lot of long turns, intersections and bridges. It also features a lot of steep parts where trucks and stupid small cars will slow you down. The roads on the highway are really smooth, but the bridges are not all smooth so you have to drive carefully. Some curves of the highway are not designed for speeding (faster than 130km/h). The highway takes you everywhere, but when you want to relax and enjoy the landscape, you definitely have to check out the other roads! The other roads are, as mentioned before, 4 lane and 2 lane roads with steep slopes and banked parts. This means that you have to stay awake during your journey. Those roads are not suited for trucks and trailers, so if there is one in front of you, you are screwed. I did not have enough time to see all the roads, but that is because I had to study math and physics.

screenshot_00022.png
    I loved this road btw..

Is it fun to play?
    Of course! It is BeamNG! What is funnier than crashing your police roamer with 250km/h? Crashing two police roamers with 100 km/h on a steep slope and watch them roll down! Silly you… The map has some FPS issues, there are parts that give you a minor frame drop, but the overall FPS is good, but a little bit lower than the FPS on Nevada. It took me 34 seconds to load, so you need some patience on a slower drive.

What could be improved?

The banked stretches, some roads are very unrealistic because of this. I would also like to see more barriers, road signs and maybe a few small towns. The spawn point is too high, when you spawn, your mirror will fall off

screenshot_00024.png

Performance: 8/10, minor framedrops, but good overall performance for a big map.
    Appearance: 7/10, not all roads look polished and some parts are too unrealistic(for me).
    Fun factor: 250/10 zip roamers again.
    screenshot_00021.png
    Suited best for: Highway cruising, road trips and fast catastrophic crashes.
    Not suited for: Old people, underpowered cars and sleeping drivers.

19. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

This post has been shortened!

Ah yes, thankyou for the review. Banked stretches where pictured are done steeply on purpose! They're for fun, not for realism. That who road is pretty much just a fun little shortcut to get from the starting point (where it is temporarily) to the highway on the W side of the map - though there are some bumps to be polished out on this road, admittedly... There ARE a few bumpy side roads on the map. There are a few bridges that aren't perfectly smooth to the road surface. Not every bridge is, but they're better than Nevada's 1st release, at least.
    Framedrops are more due to beam than due to the way I built it, it's super-simple the way it's built honestly. If it got any simpler, it'd be super-bland, and we wouldn't like that. Some unrealistic crests in 2 side-roads exist for 'fun' only. They'll be bypassed later-on, but remain as an option.
    There's super-steep spots, perfectly straight and level spots, Huge jumps a plenty (more to come), non-banked corners, and banked ones. It's really a mix, only missing some trails (to be done).
    There's a few spots where there may be a texture error, or an intersection that's 'cheaply done', etc. This happens, it's par for the course. I could have waited to release this 'when it was done' but I'd have let you guys down by not releasing early and building feedback directly into the latter half of the map along the way.
    This map was built for the community, giving them what they want. If I failed, somehow, someway, this is how I'll know. Glad I haven't, and we haven't failed one another (which helps!). I will most likely get back to working on this after I finish bungling in my yard.

Thanks guys/gals. It's been a pleasure (most times) to make Beamng.Drive maps and they will continue to be made (AND FINISHED!!!).

20. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Added exactly five more miles of road&trail. 4.2miles of winding, two lane road, with 0.8miles of dirt trail.
    The most notable changes are:
    The bug is fixed on RC3 that caused the datablock 99% loading stuck error (it should be, scream if it isn't!).
    *The terrain coloring has been changed, as someone pointed out 'hey that doesn't look like Southern Cali at all' - you were right.
    Maybe it's now looking more like the grand canyon, but I like the effect, it's closer to the final look I want for the terrain.
    *5 miles of new roadway listed above added, including some rather well-smoothed side-road near the dirt path from the dead-end that leads onto the highway. A new type of bridge was added, A concrete arch bridge, it's certainly not the most detailed bridge in Beamng.drive but it functions fine for being out in a very remote, mostly underutilized corner of the map. AI support might be goofy a bit where the new road was added, I didn't test the AI on the newest 5 miles of road yet.
    *Some unused resources were culled, resulting in the download size dropping from 427mb to 408mb. This is good, and fixed the Datablock error I mentioned above, which was with the lamp-posts that aren't used yet anyways.
    *Some very minor work to the terrain with graphical unpleasentries on the peaks AND very bases of the mountains/cliffs.
    *Small decal road texture glitches fixed, and decals that didn't work on one user's computer were omitted for now (they're unimportant).
    *Starting point adjusted closer to the ground, it'll only drop you a foot or two now.

There will be more miles of dirt trails added, and the dead-end paved road where the far end of the trail ends will be continued onward for a few miles until it finds another road to end at.
    Just to note, no objects were used from Utah map, to create the terrain (pointed it out due to color similarities).
    A new link will go live in 12 hours give or take. This is not an obligatory download if you already have a working copy of RC2. There is no more 'datablock dupe of 0' error in my console here when loading the map.

There are no signs or buildings, yet. It's not at that point yet. That will come when the road infrastructure is more fleshed out in full.

--Cheers & new link will be posted later today.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice