So... What is Going on with Wreckfest?

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by YellowRusty, Dec 1, 2017.

1. enjoyinorc6742

enjoyinorc6742
    Expand Collapse

it's not a constant drift fest anymore, cars seem to stick to the road better. we got an old 1950s Saab, an 80s Volvo wagon, and a 1990 CRX, a Datsun 240Z, v12 jag from the 70s/60s, an 80s El Camino, and a mid 60s sedan

2. DuneWulff

DuneWulff
    Expand Collapse

Wreckfest is the game version of Lemony Snicket's. The kickstarter flopped, Bugbear suffered money problems, Early Access went into mini-development hell... it was just sad.

But, I'm just glad Bugbear hasn't completely given up. It seemed, for the longest time, like Wreckfest was altogether abandoned (I believe they went bankrupt?)
    I supported Bugbear as soon as they released the tech demo, because FlatOut has a special place in my childhood. I'd hate to see Bugbear die off like Evolution Studios and Criterion (who isn't technically dead but they seem to going away from racing altogether).
    That being said, I also got the game for cheap back in the day. Honestly, I wouldn't pay 40 bucks for it. It is just hard to justify it when you can pretty much do everything in the game in a few hours. Of course, it is nice to see that Bugbear has thrown a ton more content into the game.
    Perhaps Wreckfest finally will be what it should have been years ago.

On another note, online Wreckfest is... unique.

3. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

Indeed it is.

*rant mode activated* I'm actually kinda triggered by it. A major thing that bothers me about it is the fact that it has British and Swedish cars, while BeamNG doesn't. It technically has a French car too, but it's not playable.

The unplayable French car.

Another thing is the fact that it is only limited to derbies, while BeamNG offers more variety. *rant mode deactivated*

Sorry if I mentioned something that I already mentioned in the past.
    --- Post updated ---
    I honestly don't know how to react to this. I think I can say that I disagree with some of those things you said.

4. Flippi 284

Flippi 284
    Expand Collapse

I personally think its a interesting game with great potential, but at $40 I wouldn't buy it. If it was at maybe $25 or even $30 I would get it. If I were to choose a favorite car out of all of them, I would pick the Volvo because I like me wagons.

5. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Agreed.

Development was halted for a long time due to financial difficulties. AFAIK Nordic joined the project as a publisher in 2017, allowing development to continue.

I haven't played through the 2 career mode seasons that were added since my PC can't handle that many cars at once, but I believe they take awhile to play through.

$40 definitely is way too much to pay, but there is a real game there now with a fair bit of content and more to come. Definitely worth a typical sale price.

I said it before and I said it again, why are we comparing an open world sim to what is essentially Flatout 2018? Yes they have their similarities and overlapping target audience, but they are different games...

6. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

They both use crash physics, so that's one thing.

7. DuneWulff

DuneWulff
    Expand Collapse

They both have cars too!

8. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

But only Wreckfest has a real soundtrack, so...

9. nosraenyr kcirtap kcin

nosraenyr kcirtap kcin
    Expand Collapse

More good news, they just updated the game. The career have been expanded, 4 new cars, a American wagon, a 50's American car, a 80's Japanese sports car, and a 60's folk race car, more parts, new engine upgrades, new tracks, and better physics.

10. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Just played around in the Wreckfest update... Set up the Rammer for full strength stat and did a death match against a pack of lawnmower in the dirt stadium, it was hilarious. Tons of XP and a lot of credits. I thoroughly recommend it. Seriously, 6mn death match against 23 lawnmowers in an American tank is wonderful. The fully upgraded Rammer is fun in pretty much any event, but mower-clubbing is certainly high on the list.

As for my opinion on the update itself, got a couple awesome cars and a great layout for one of the speedways for anyone interested in carnage.

Update: Wow, I can run a full field of non-lawn mower cars now. Loving the game now. It's fun, runs well enough currently, has a fair amount of content and the team is providing updates fairly often. Funny how much the Wreckfest situation has improved in 4 months.

Update: Hotfix came out today, huge nerf to bumper strength. My fully upgrade Rammer is no longer virtually indestructible.

Update 2: I decided to fully upgrade the firefly since they basically asked us to, and it's actually a really great A class car. Accelerates great, small enough to weave around the traffic. My lap times were much faster than the AI, the thing is actually the best A class car I have driven yet.

#30 ManfredE3, Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  11. enjoyinorc6742

enjoyinorc6742
    Expand Collapse

aside from a few issues, I am enjoying the update. Glad Bugbear is able to put updates out a little quicker now.

12. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

Honestly since THQ Nordic joined Bugbear, this has been an amazing game with a shit ton of new content.
    Im really happy to see that this game didnt loose its potential.

13. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

I have found out that the rammer is nearly unkillable when it has the steel beam bumpers, steel beam side protectors and window bar 1, I havent played with other cars much but it beat a bunch of class A cars that where similarly spec'ed in a derby and crash alley

14. DuneWulff

DuneWulff
    Expand Collapse

Hammerhead is absolutely broken if you fully upgrade the powertrain, add the bumpers+side deflectors, and run limited-slip differential. Going through the tourneys are a breeze with it, only weakness is that the back end has all the traction of a cat on ice - but you can fix that by just drifting it.

Also, here's some clips from Wreckfest of me trying to win a race against A class cars with a lawn mower:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice