[solved]How do u stop CH thermostat short cycling?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Michaelflat, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Gas central heating is working good but when up to temperature it clicks a lot, like when near it starts clicking like a cold car after startup. Does this mean I need a new thermostat? The boiler and CH pump is not happy turning on and off 2-3x a second in some cases!
    It's getting a little bit temperamental

2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

You might get more reliable answer from place that sells those thermostats.

Anyway, usually thermostats have upper and lower temp, if it now seems to have same temp as upper and lower, then thermostat does not sound to be working quite well and I would guess that being the problem.

Maybe you could find local store that would sell you one so that you can return it if problem was not with that?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

It is a 20odd year old analogue one,the bimetallic strip. I suppose for next winter we will get a new one. Don't see the point in hive heating however.

4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Asked friend of mine from industry, reckons you need a new one. Doesn't have to be a fancy smart one.

5. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I thought so, did a bit of reading and found that there is a small heater in the thermostat that stops it short cycling, that wears out and when it does then you need a new thermostat. Just a little temperamental, but it is analogue so it does what it wants roughly. Thanks for advice :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice