Something about ROADS

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Mastertiti74, Feb 9, 2017.

1. prometh

prometh
    Expand Collapse

If a map is created using the editor, will its mesh/textures be auto-updated with future updates to the game and the editor? For example, a rock wall would be automatically updated to include new procedurally generated details.

The less maintenance I would have to do, the better.

2. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

There isn't really much procedural generation, aside of the grass and such like random forest undergrowth.
    Otherwise, no it's not really procedural generation stuffs (aside of that race course thingie they added).

Most updates are handled (for example 0.8.x to 0.9.x) with conversion on map load, where if you re-saved it, it gets the new formats.
    However, that update also at all my convex objects, which now remain eaten no matter how many times I re-make them, so must use models or something now (just a rant).

Don't heavily rely on mesh roads if you're making a map though. It does tank FPS pretty hard core (if you use a lot of them as walls / bridges, etc) if you use a bunch, so knock the view distance down to <1000 meters if you do that.

Read the update notes (it's called a change log), especially the parts with the map subsystem and the editor.

If you are SERIOUS about mapping, keep a .zip or a .7z format compressed file of your beamng.drive GAME (steam folder) directory (not user directory in mydocuments), as I have, for @#$%ing good reason. As updates have more than once whacked my map for dead and I had to go a' spelunking in the config files to fix it. Or "roast" the dev's... and they don't appreciate it :) Sorry... g'heh heh. So if the game updates and it breaks things, you can restore the old version, fix your map (using the new version's log to figure it out), and make sure it's not offending the new version so you can update and not lose your work.

This is also important to keep an old version if you do video compilations on youtube like the crash compilation guys do.

#22 bob.blunderton, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice