1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Something is on the horizon ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by r00t, Feb 23, 2016.

1. megapixle

megapixle
    Expand Collapse

Why write a blog post about an upcoming blog post and then 2 weeks later there is no blog post? Just sayin'....

• Like Like x 4
  2. MrAngry

MrAngry
    Expand Collapse

Why not be happy that devs share this kind of stuff with us and patiently wait?

• Like Like x 11
  3. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Takes time to write down a nice blog post.
    It is being done in the spare time as well, game development comes first :)

• Like Like x 13
  4. Rainderp

Rainderp
    Expand Collapse

out of curiosity, in the future are there currently any plans for general wear and tear to be added? like tire tread depth loss, brake pad disintegration and radiator overheats? maybe it could be a hard mode option but i just like the idea of extra detail like that for some reason.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

In the short ammount of time you actually use cars in this game for, it wouldn't really matter.

6. crazikyle

crazikyle
    Expand Collapse

I think he's thinking about the campaign, where you will actually have to manage your cars because you will use them for many missions/races

• Like Like x 3
  7. derpfleet55

derpfleet55
    Expand Collapse

Exactly, there's a lot more to beam than just crash,repeat; its Turing itself into a quite respectable .drive sim. Tire wear would be good, as most other racing sim games incorporate the effects of heat, wear, brake fade etc; Although wear may not be a massive factor on average road tires for short sprints, it makes all the difference on race compound tires. For the future campaign's sake, Personally I think at least some aspects of brake/tire fade, wear and heat is necessary, as it could realistically add the dynamic of buying better brakes to reduce fade, as well as increasing stopping power, or to decide if you want slicks that grip well, but wear out quicker than other slicks or tire types.
    I don't know about tread depth however, although i think it could be somewhat simulated non visually, I dont believe it would work visually/physically in game, I could be wrong however

• Like Like x 2
  8. the_MOLERAT

the_MOLERAT
    Expand Collapse

I think you are right about the wheel wear not being possible in the visible sense, but I don't think it would be terribly hard to code something like "When friction = X to X amount, reduce tire friction to Y amount" and so on until your tire is a piece of trash.

My guess is, when the campaign comes out, we'll all use the off road D-15, cause lets face it, it's a tank.
    (And then there'll be that derpy guy who tries to use the Pigeon for all the levels...)

• Like Like x 3
  9. derpfleet55

derpfleet55
    Expand Collapse

Exactly friction based wear, or traction gain from heat should be easy enough to code, with the the only possible Pitfall I can imagine being too much wear by just going strait, as an old problem with the tire system (pretty much fixed now) was lowered top speeds caused by the tire system "trying to grip" 24/7. (Though my coding knowledge is basically limited to tutorial videos, so i really don't know how easy/hard it may be). Furthermore I think (or hope) he campaign will be more varied in its "missions"/things to do, so owning more than one vehicle will be necessary to gain any money to progress.
    **(assuming the campaign is at the very least a derivation of the "open world career mode" in the steam green-light vid where you have to make money from events,races,tournaments etc. As a side note I think Gabester mentioned a long time ago that they/he would like to do a campaign with some similar elements to an old streetracing game, forgive me I forget the name.)

Maybe the new blog post that is being written will at the very least shed some light on the campaign direction, or at least test the waters for some ideas.

10. speednsnake

speednsnake
    Expand Collapse

The tread doesn't have depth yet as far as I know, so if they wanted to do a visible effect for tire wear they could just have a "tread" texture that fades with the condition of the tire. If they wanted to get really fancy they might even be able to have it in separate "chunks" to have only part of the texture fade based on wear (a toed in tire will mostly fade on the outside edge, locking up tires will only wear one side of the tire etc.). It would be a small thing, but it might be cool. I don't see them ever being able to accurately show tire failures visually however.

With the amount of time and effort going into this next blog post they might as well just go ahead and publish it for some extra income :D. That was a joke... Take your time guys. When you stop and think of how much this game has changed since the first release, and how much potential it has in the future, it's no wonder that it's a lot to cover in one post. I think some of the speculation here is a bit far fetched... but I'd love to see a new "in development" vehicle list thrown in at the end of what will inevitably be a very interesting read. I doubt they will, but with only 5 cars left to add it won't be too long before we get some new new vehicles. Thanks Lisa for that picture by the way, it's making for an excellent desktop background.

11. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Thing is, while writing a simple "traction=traction-(0.1*time)" deal, so much more would go into implementing the feature that it's really rather mind boggling.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Krazeecain

Krazeecain
    Expand Collapse

Are you guys really taking 2 weeks to write a blogpost? Come on now... I was refreshing the tab every hour on the day this post came up lol. It should probably be broken up into parts or something.

13. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Chill man. They might have feature they're debating putting in there because they know as soon as something is even whispered by a dev, people (not pointing fingers at any certain krazee users) will jump down their throats and demand it sooner. You get to choose: you voicing every concern and doubt you have, or devs that enjoy working with the community.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

mlem

• Like Like x 1
  15. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Sorry guys, work on groundmodels got inbetween D:

At least it does not crash anymore now.

• Like Like x 22
  16. Krazeecain

Krazeecain
    Expand Collapse

Every single part of your comment is presumptuous and wrong. My comment was not even remotely aggravated, I've never jumped down the devs throats for any reason, nor will I ever do so. And finally that's a false dichotomy, user bases in general for all games can and do voice every concern and doubt there is to have, and many developers do enjoy working with their community in spite of this. Users voicing their concern is an important part of the development process, especially for a smaller team that doesn't have the resources to thoroughly test and debug their game, and even more so if the game is a beta. Even my comment is important, as it informs them that this blog post may have been misleading. It was probably my fault though, as I wasn't aware it could take 2 weeks to write a blog post, so my bad. Your comment was also unnecessary though.
    --- Post updated ---
    Thanks for the update, development of the game is more important than writing about said development lol. I can only imagine what it's like to develop a game with such a complex physics system. I'm hitting my head on my desk right now just trying to make animations work in Unity xD

17. Adziej

Adziej
    Expand Collapse

My dream is Vulcan support to be added this year... Will my dream come true? :>
    I was also thinking about more detailed metal bending, more removable elements in cars, a lot more scrap and... better optimization. :D

18. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

We dream the same dream ... sometimes dreams are hard to realize though :(

• Like Like x 8
  19. Twitch Axis

Twitch Axis
    Expand Collapse

The horizon is a new utah map. There will be more cars as well. Look in the wiki on this page. Then look at "official content"

• Like Like x 1
  20. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Still gathering stats for the blogpost ...

SVN commits:
    svn_graph.png
    Updates:
    updates_graph.png

• Like Like x 18
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice