Spa Francorchamps

Discussion in 'Community Mods - Archived' started by aljowen, Jun 15, 2013.

1. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Whether it does or not will depend on a lot of things related to your computer specs and drivers etc. I have had it crash once in windows, nvidia drivers have crashed once while running it and i have had one BSOD. All in one day. As long as i save often it shouldn't be too big an issue, i don't really want to update my graphics card driver because a lot of nvidias driver cause my pc to crash 3 to 4 times a day from normal usage. So i have to try and stay on whichever drivers do actually work. But i am glad to hear you aren't having any issues.

The list of applications that crash on my PC is growing tbh:
    World of tanks (since latest update)
    Any game made by square enix (their game engine is incompatible with my specific graphics card)
    Torque3D

just to name a couple, apparently i can get my graphics card to work on square enix games if i do a large under clock on it. It doesn't overheat or anything like that, its just no one is prepared to fix either the graphics drivers or game engine. Their games crash with an error message saying i have removed my graphics card as in i have physically pulled it out, only their game engine has that issue.

So i am not exclusively blaming Torque3D as i have crash issue with quite a few other games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. eletricmano

eletricmano
    Expand Collapse

Oh, thank you. Now I can (maybe) make some terrains for BeamNG. If I want to import objects for Torque 3D, what format should the objects be?

3. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

.dts or .dae

4. eletricmano

eletricmano
    Expand Collapse

Thank you.

5. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

These may be listed as collada in your 3d modelling software

6. eletricmano

eletricmano
    Expand Collapse

Why won't my textures show up? When I choose a texture (downloaded from the internet) it won't show up. The space inside the square that the texture should show up is blank. Please help?

7. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

That happened to me too. Place the textures inside the level folder, (torque3d/my project/level_name/game/art).

8. LJFHutch

LJFHutch
    Expand Collapse
    Environment Artist
    BeamNG Team

I'm pretty sure it just uses .dts as cache files; for exporting you only use collada .dae and you should always load the .dae files when you have a choice; I ran into trouble when I used the dts files (I think I used them for the vegetation system?).

9. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

I imported some .dts from the pacific demo for the vegetation, I had to delete the ''_cached'' from the file's name, and then it just worked fine.

10. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

An update for you lot to have a small peak at. This is just a preview of one section of the track that i put a little effort into, the rest of it doesn't look anything like this at the moment.

There are issues, any help about distant textures would be appreciated.

The vehicle and skybox were not made by me. They are both defaults. I am using the vehicle to show scale. The skybox is hopefully going to be changed for one that i shall make myself, I have photos i can use for that.

EDIT:
    Just because i want to make sure you are under no false illusion as to how complete the track is here is the same scene from a different angle. Don't mind the clipping on this image, it is because of LOD's (level of detail) the further away you are from the map the less precise it calculates it to improve fps.

Attached Files:

• Turn 8 .jpg
    • No false illusions.jpg
    #30 aljowen, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  11. Flex

Flex
    Expand Collapse

Yeeeessss :D
    I as a belgian approve officially this circuit

12. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Just two small questions in regard to uv mapping the tarmac on the track.

I have tried using a looped texture mapped using the "generated" setting but cant get that to show up in game. So now i am attempting to UV map the track. The problem i have is i am worried that to get the texture detailed enough i am going to have a humongous file of the same texture looped a couple hundred times (on the x and y axis). Is there a better way to do this?

Also because i am UV mapping the texture now, the texture is no longer seamless and will not flow between each bit of the track (because the polys are not connected due to beizier curve method shown on the ror wiki). So is there any way to make this work again?

Here is a screen shot so you know what i am working with here,
    thanks

Attached Files:

• Dayum, dat UV mapping.jpg
    #32 aljowen, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  13. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

You get better results like this.

Get a tiled texture (you will find ton on cgtexture.com).
    UV your object with RESET (or cube projection if the faces aren't the same shape/size)
    Bind it to the tiled texture
    You should see something like this

(imported from here)
    The UV is more orange because all the planes are one over the other! So they have the same UV location.
    Scale it to fit your texture (if the UV is bigger then the texture, it's no problem, the texture will repeat!)
    Easy.

This is another example. All you see are tiled texture, with the same method.

(imported from here)

14. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Thank you, am trying it now.

15. Kryotex

Kryotex
    Expand Collapse

Dat road.....:p

16. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Its already available for you to try in rigs of rods i believe.

On a map called Absentia, you should check it out if you play ror because it is pretty cool even if it is only roads so far: http://www.rigsofrods.com/threads/103170-Absentia

-----MAIN CONTENT-----

Right, i have done that and i must say, in blender it looks mighty fine.

Problem being is when i try and put it in Torque3d It shows up as having no texture, as in completely white. When i export from blender there is only 1 file produced, so i am assuming i don't need any material file or similar?

Thanks again

Attached Files:

• RESET mapping.jpg
    • RESET mapping in game.jpg
    #36 aljowen, Jul 18, 2013
  17. Kryotex

Kryotex
    Expand Collapse

Holy shit! ok, it seems i don't need to modeling, all my stuff is just piece of shit in comparing with this(((

18. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

With time you will improve. Look at how other people model (im probably a bad example) and see what they do. Sure your first few models may be a bit sucky but you will find that as you learn what does and doesn't work your projects will get better. Every one has to start somewhere and not many people start out being epic (aka none). So give it a go and if it doesn't work then don't beat yourself up over it, Figure out what didn't work and try again. If you cant figure it out then im sure there a ton of people around who do and will be more than willing to help.

If your music is anything to go by then you are more than capable of making epic content.

#38 aljowen, Jul 18, 2013
  19. Kryotex

Kryotex
    Expand Collapse

Yea i know, just i'm sitting down working hard as hell on just small piece of road, and then i saw that some another already made much better and bigger, you know....i just was heavy confused))

20. Treevus

Treevus
    Expand Collapse

I used to struggle with this a lot, and still do quite often now. You just have to know that it doesn't matter how experienced or skilled someone seems compared to you, just make sure that you are happy with your model, and things will probably go pretty smooth. :)

And cool track aljowen, should be lots of fun with the sports cars with BeamNG. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice