Released Speedometer V0.3

Discussion in 'Utilities and programming' started by GregBlast, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

2. FluffyWoofles

FluffyWoofles
    Expand Collapse

Re: Speedometer

A small add to this if i may ask. I would like to see an RPM gauge as well. ^.^

3. Kimmykix

Kimmykix
    Expand Collapse

RPM gauge would be cool... so would an -optional- Horsepower gauge! Shouldn't be too tough since the debug menu can already gauge horsepower :)

4. CrazeGaming

CrazeGaming
    Expand Collapse

im having trouble installing the .lua mod, i was wondering if someone could screenshot their main.lua for each part of the speedometer mod and show me?

if you can that would be great, thanks

Edit: me being stupid, read the installing wrong, its all sorted now

#24 CrazeGaming, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  5. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Yes I would definitely make one if I knew how to get that info.

EDIT:
    If that one were to be drawn on the Vehicle LUA it would be just "drivetrain.rpm" actually to get the info. But don't know if I can get it on System LUA.

#25 GregBlast, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  6. LSDMT420

LSDMT420
    Expand Collapse

This is really useful, thank you for all your work creating this mod for us. Personally I like to have as little UI stuff on my screen as possible while still getting the information I want, would you consider making a simple digital version that just says "***MPH" in a cool font? Or maybe something like these C4 Corvette gauges (I used to have one, so I may be the only one who likes how they look lol)

Attached Files:

• corvette_dash.jpg
    • 1985-corvette-3.jpg
  7. Incognito

Incognito
    Expand Collapse

While there will be no normal system of a data interchange between system lua and vehicle lua - you can not get value from vehicle lua in system lua.
    There is a perverse way: in vehicle lua write the necessary information in the file and in the system lua read this information from file :)

8. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Yeah of course I know I already sent a pm to tdev just in case saying we can use files but that's not really optimal. When I say it's not it really isn't in this case...because I need to update them every update call. Which means every 100th of a second (more or less).

- - - Updated - - -

It's a shame you *used* to have one ;). Personally I have a C5 but can't drive it currently. Broken clutch and no money for either that, tires or taxes and insurance. Maybe next year ^^.

Anyways I can make a better looking digital only display but I'm not sure I could draw the C4 style analog gauge. Maybe if it's a quarter of a circle.

PS: btw my C5 came from Texas. A guy I know imported it here in Belgium for me 4 years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

I updated my first post with new screenshots of upcoming changes.

9. LSDMT420

LSDMT420
    Expand Collapse

Well I do actually still have mine, though it would take a small fortune to get it running again, (transmission is shot, Engine needs a major overhaul, ect. ect.). I might end up having to sell it, but I'm trying to keep it and some day get it running again. It was actually my first car, got it when I was 17, had way to much fun in it back then ;). Here's a couple pics I have of it when it was looking good:

IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0230.JPG

I have a '85 L98 5.7L, What year is your C5? Crazy you had to have it shipped from Texas, C5's are beautiful I would love to get my hands on one.

The new updates look great, looking forward to changing the colors and the odometer. If you could get it looking anywhere close to the C4 gauges that would be fantastic, I really like the raising bars design on the spedo and RPM gauges, I don't know of many other cars with dash's like that.

10. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Nice. I also think of selling mine from time to time but well if it's not in a good shape you can't get much out of it so it's useless. So I'm paying for a garage cause I don't own one yet.

Here's my Vette:
    CorvetteTelevie2010-NoBorder.png
    PS: I don't own that castle heh. Just though that was a good spot.

11. Christian

Christian
    Expand Collapse

Nice Corvette. :)

btt: Great speedo, but would it be possible to make it smaller. In my opinion its a little bit to big.

12. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

If you read previous posts you will see that there are two ways of doing this:
    • either change the size ratio from the GUI
    • or open the GUI editor with F10 and resize the canvas (also reposition it if needed)
    Note that resizing the canvas from the GUI editor allows you to cut part of the gauge if needed (also based on the size ratio you chose from the configuration GUI).

13. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

Not that it is a problem for me but, what if you can't run high enough resouloution to properly read the dash or have lower res textures

Just a thought.

14. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Re: Speedometer V0.2

Alright I attached version 0.2 with miles / kms driven and colors changing. To change colors you must enter the hexadecimal value (sorry no better way now). Use 6 character hex strings. If you're not comfortable with hex strings use this website to find your colors:
    http://www.color-hex.com/
    Also copy only the 6 hex characters. Don't start with "0X" or "#".

15. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

Cool, now all we need is a Gear Indicator.... =)

16. LSDMT420

LSDMT420
    Expand Collapse

Love the new update, thanks for releasing it! The spedo is working great for me except for two problems I am having.

1. The odometer does not refresh back to zero when switching maps or changing cars for me, not sure if this is a bug or how its designed to work?

2. Every time I close and reopen then game I have to reconfigure the spedo options and colors, is there a way to save your configuration permanently?

Cheers

17. LSDMT420

LSDMT420
    Expand Collapse

"Way to big": press ALT+U and change the radius value to something smaller then it currently is.

"I want it at the bottom right of the screen": press F10 and then move the canvas to the bottom of the screen, use the nudge commands to get it aligned perfectly.

All of this has been mentioned before.. but here ya go.

18. bits&bytes

bits&bytes
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for this update GregBlast. It looks a lot better now.
    I don't care the hexadecimal values.

Now it becomes time to implement some load and save functionality because the more settings on the GUI, the more frustrating people are going to be when they have to set them again :p.
    You can have a look at my Advanced Dynamic Steering mod and take the code from there if you like. Maybe you can use "HUD_.*" as file filter as this speedo meter is actually the beginning of a hud :cool:.

19. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

1. The odometer is linked to the System LUA. So it will currently reset whenever the System LUA is reloaded (Shift + T). I think that's already a pretty good behaviour for non-dev ppl aka those only playing. If you want to reset it just press Shift + T. I think it's good to be able to keep it when you change map.

2. I will implement load & save features soon. Should be pretty straightforward and shouldn't take long. I just need to decide to work on BeamNG Drive heh.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah don't worry I can use the IO library. Should not take long to get something decent.

- - - Updated - - -

Done !

Version 0.3 is available on first post with usage explanation. A video is also coming.
    You can now:
    • save configurations
    • load configurations (done automatically when selected one in a drop-down)
    • have a default configuration (last saved or last used)
    Unfortunately though you still have to position it globally by hand with F10 after starting the game. Hope we can have something for that soon.

#39 GregBlast, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  20. LSDMT420

LSDMT420
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the update! The new saved profiles function is a huge improvement, I'm loving it :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice