Split/Screen Multiplayer (Local)

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by DW_Drummer, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Adziej

Adziej
    Expand Collapse

The thing is that BeamNG loads your CPU heavily. If you get i. e. 40 fps on the map, with splitscreen (2 screens and 2 cars) you will see 20 or less fps. It means that your computer has to render 2 independent games simultaneously.

2. BallisticDK

BallisticDK
    Expand Collapse

So? that just requires a beefy graphics card.
    Yes it needs to render the game twice, but this game is not that demanding on the graphics side.
    lets say If you can run the game twice and you'r cpu has no problem with 2 cars at 60fps+ then the cpu will not be a problem.

Todays pc's are more then capable enough to run this game in splitscreen.

As i said requires a beefy graphics card.

i ran that on a 980ti OC (250Mhz) and a 5930K using max settings (post fx turned off) in 1080P

#22 BallisticDK, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Robokeks

Robokeks
    Expand Collapse

I would love to see splitscreen in BeamNG! :D
    I know the problems with the online support in BeamNG, Lan wouldnt work too...
    But i cant understand why splitscreen is dead for PC its perfekt to play in splitscreen with friends.
    And splitscreen wouldnt have the transfer problems like the other ones :D
    I cant wait to play BeamNG with friends :)

4. BallisticDK

BallisticDK
    Expand Collapse

I'm curious here, why would'nt Lan work ?

5. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Data. Quantity of data.

Say call of duty, players have an X/Y/Z position and rotation and are updated at about 50Hz. Not a lot of data.

BeamNG vehicles. a few hundred nodes each with their own X/Y/Z position. A few hundred beams with their own deformities. Updated at 2000Hz. A collosal amount of data. To do LAN on BeamNG is not impossible, but some sort of trickery would be required. Even if at first they just update the positions of a few reference nodes and allow the clients to calculate and track damage on their own, it wouldn't necessarily be synchronised and would lead to a lot of weirdness, but it would be a start.

Splitscreen is the way forward.

6. SuperNoob05

SuperNoob05
    Expand Collapse

You wouldn't really require a beefy GPU either.
    My 750 is able to run BeamNG at around 70 to 80FPS on Gridmap (on normal settings) depending on the vehicle, which means that I'd get around 40FPS which is totally playable for me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

What I propose is just having a second camera. Not a separate instance. In theory, it'll only need a bit better GPU (not twice as powerful) and enough CPU to handle 2 vehicles.

8. mrboojay

mrboojay
    Expand Collapse

Well the thing is, if you just have a free floating camera and have an AI mode that allows it to be controlled by another controller (which she was talking about, not split screen), it really isn't any different than chasing the AI as your normally would in another car, unless your PC can't handle 2 cars at once, there shouldn't be a difference. I've had 4 cars chasing me at once, PC was fine.

I am also for at least having an AI mode with one camera, that would be more then awesome.

9. BallisticDK

BallisticDK
    Expand Collapse

Alright. i was asking because i always was one of the "negative" people saying that beamng online was impossible to do right with the network technology we have now.
    but i have always thought that beamng Lan was possible (using 1Gb connection), i know that beamng is calculating an insane amont of data every second, but just how much is it? would it even be possible to transfer it using "only" a 1Gb connection,
    And if, just if a 1Gb connection is enough for the data, would we be able to deal with packet loss.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, you're right, but i was just referring to BeamNG at 60fps, because it is usually the minimum fps pc users wants to deal with.

10. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Packet loss over a local network would be negligible. Besides, most games are designed to deal with the odd skipped packet.

I did some calcs once and yeah, gigabit ethernet would probably be upto the task. But then ultimately any real LAN implementation in BeamNG will probably use some form of compression, whether by my hacky idea of just moving a few reference nodes or labelling certain nodes as important to the JBeam and updating at a lower rate or something. Regardless I doubt we'll see the devs simply trying to force a full physics skeleton update over the network at 2000Hz.

11. BallisticDK

BallisticDK
    Expand Collapse

It would be awesome if someone tryed, just to see if it's even possible.
    A hacky way indeed, but hey when we are talking about beamng, you really need to think outside the box.

12. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Dummiesman has worked on it, but is now a dev so... :( Probably won't be allowed to work on it. I'd like to get ahold of his work so that I can continue, but I think he has lost it. I honestly don't know how or where I would start.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice