1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Steam Awards nomination

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fufsgfen, Nov 22, 2018.

1. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It is kinda amazing that most greedy and money milking seem to be those that always have success in these nominations.

Steam winter sale should start this Friday and then it is again possible to vote, but I'm afraid Rockstar or Ubisoft wins that category.

I'm quite stumped by the fact that ETS2 is in most fun with a machine category, game is not exactly most fun, it is easy way to pass time when you don't feel like doing much of anything.

Game is quite bit of money milking machine though, there is a ton of gameplay elements that even I could improve on that, but they seem to do everything by easiest way possible. In a way it is quite good how they can make money with such simple means and keep doing it, but as a game it is not exactly highest of quality.

Then again I have spend around 60 euros for that game, so who am I to judge that game :D

@MrAngry Voting ended already at November, but yeah, some developers made even custom content or graphics to promote voting for anyone visiting their store or having their game etc. BeamNG devs are not very greedy, they might even be quite bit more generous than 90% of people. Most store pages on Steam seem to be quite bit more aggressive marketing, but it might be by the choice, perhaps they want to offer alternative and that is their 'thing' which actually can sell too.

2. MrAngry

MrAngry
    Expand Collapse

If you pass an opportunity like that because "you're not very greedy", then you don't deserve to be in the game business. It's virtually free advertising that boosts sales. SCS do a great job at the Steam Awards and afaik they only released a blogpost encouraging people to vote, nothing else.

3. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

We as a small studio cannot compete with ubisoft, etc on this ...

We tried some years ago.
    Maybe next year :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Raceboy77

Raceboy77
    Expand Collapse

yeah but you have the potential

5. MrAngry

MrAngry
    Expand Collapse

You'll never compete if you don't even try. I made a post last year and got no response despite having my post upvoted more times than usual. If you focus people into a single category you might stand a chance. I hope BeamNG will make it in the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. veyasan.ragulan

veyasan.ragulan
    Expand Collapse

Pretty sure ETS2 got that award because of two things they didn't really create: TruckersMP(multiplayer) and ProMods(redesigned maps), which the players love to play. As for the milking, eh, most of it is stuff like paint schemes so I'm fine with their ways right now. The only things I've paid for so far in ETS2 are the maps, and interior customization. And the quality isn't that bad to me (but hey, I'm running ETS2 on an office computer so I can't give a fair judgement on that).

7. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Oh, I don't play promods or multiplayer, first one I did look, but yet again one more registration so did not do that and multiplayer is not so much interest to me.

I have special transport, heavy cargo and maps, there was some other stuff that came with a bundle that was cheaper than something alone, I'm not even sure what I have, there was long list of stuff in some bundle that was on sale long time ago, I think game itself did cost less than 5 euros, additions to came did cost 11 times of that and certainly I did not pay anything from paintjobs :D

There is no competition at all to them though, so it does not push them forward too much, they still have DX9 engine and game is pretty much same as first ETS was, there is bit more variety to landscape though, some new features, but they don't need to innovate or renew, it is enough for them to make a map or two in a year and it makes probably more money than game sales for them.

I haven't checked from steamdb how big user base they have, but it probably is quite huge as game is quite accessible for even someone who has never played simulators before.

Scandinavia and Italy maps are quite good, graphical quality is more than enough good, but what is inside has not really progressed much at all. It is fine game though, but if we compare amount of effort that BeamNG devs put in and what SCS guys are putting in, there is no comparison, BeamNG devs are working much harder to make inner workings to be good too.

So it kinda bothers when hard work is not rewarded as much as it would deserve.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice