1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Steam keys: available for alpha testers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tdev, Aug 9, 2014.

1. LandYacht76

LandYacht76
    Expand Collapse

Buy the game and an English class first.

2. MetalMilitia623

MetalMilitia623
    Expand Collapse

Dude, are you thick? If this game has DRM it would not run without steam. It can totally run without steam. Think of steam as a replacement for the old updater. I don't see how you're not getting this. I mean whatever you got your refund and all that but to say this game has DRM is just naive. It only uses steam to download and nothing else. Other games need steam to be running to load their .exe files. This game does not. I've tried explaining this to you a few times and it seems like you just aren't grasping it. I get you don't like steam which is fine and I accept that you don't want to support this game because it is on steam but please don't say it has DRM because that just is not true. Thanks.

3. XyemIncognito

XyemIncognito
    Expand Collapse

I've just formatted my computer. There is nothing on it except the Operating System.

How do I run BeamNG.drive without Steam?

4. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

Why do you fear Steam so much? It's just a program dude it's not going to bite you or kill your computer. And in the case of BeamNG it's only used to download and update, you can run the game without steam.

5. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

By having the game files and running the game. If you downloaded it through Steam you can transfer the files to any computer and play the game with no DRM and no Steam. We still have a Steam-free zipped installer available to download in the .drive forum section too.

6. XyemIncognito

XyemIncognito
    Expand Collapse

If you read my previous posts, you will see that Steam has bit me. I used to hate Steam out of principle before I used it, I now hate it from first-hand experience too.

It doesn't matter. I didn't agree to use Steam and my purchase hinged on the fact that I wouldn't have to.

Steam was not a party to the original agreement between me and BeamNG. Their involvement isn't acceptable to me for multiple reasons. It doesn't even matter what those reasons are, it is unreasonable to force me to be subject to a third-party I didn't agree to be subjected to.

- - - Updated - - -

But I don't have the game files, the computer only has the OS installed.

So, not having the game files, how do I run BeamNG without Steam?

Then why did BeamNG give me a refund, when I made it clear that it was the Steam exclusivity that was the problem?

7. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

The current public is build is zipped on the forum IIRC. If you still want to play BeamNG, just use the refund money and buy it again. I guess the devs refunded you as they don't want people complaining/not being satisfied with what they bought. You should be happy to have met such comprehensive devs, I don't know others that would have done the same after 6 months. And if you complain about the fact that Steam integration wasn't part of the ToDo list when you bought it, I guess it's part of the unexpected things that may happen in a game in the alpha stages.
    As gabester and other said, BeamNG fully works even without starting it through Steam, so the possibility to have a zipped download is there. I don't see any more reason to discuss about it.

EDIT- Apparently the zipped one is about the previous version (0.3.1), so untill they set up a newer zipped download, you don't have much choice.

8. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Steam bit you because you wanted a game on 2 computers playing multiplayer with each other while only buying 1 copy, yeah, because consoles havent been imposing the same ass biting for the last decade. When you buy a game, you only buy license to use it and usually only once, steam bit you for sticking to the terms of the EULA for the game.

And gabester is right, the old install is still on the forums. And everybody else is right, if you get steam, install the game, copy it elsewhere and remove steam you can still play the game. Steam isn't this big old satanic and evil thing you seem to think it is, its just a distribution platform BeamNG wise and not imposing any DRM - it can impose DRM on some titles but for BeamNG it isn't.

- - - Updated - - -

The updater in it still seems to work to update it to 0.3.3.

9. XyemIncognito

XyemIncognito
    Expand Collapse

I don't care if Steam integration wasn't on the TODO list when I brought it. My issue was with the removal of a non-Steam method of acquiring the game. I don't understand how I have not made this crystal clear.

I don't care if the game is available on Steam. I do care if it is only available on Steam.

- - - Updated - - -

I never said, or even implied, I only brought one license.

Making 1 purchase on Steam can result in you getting 4 licenses for a game. It's called a 4-pack.

Perhaps, before taking such a derogatory tone, you should actually get your facts straight first?

10. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Says the guy who seems to be making it his personal vendetta to repeatedly slate off BeamNG + steam when he could just take his refund and go

11. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

I didn't get what you wanted till now.

See? Problem solved. If you still want, as I said above, use the Refund money to buy it again, else I don't see the point to continue this discussion more.

12. XyemIncognito

XyemIncognito
    Expand Collapse

I'm still here because other people want to have a discussion with me about BeamNG and Steam in the topic about BeamNG and Steam.

Expecting me to not respond to people who are voluntarily choosing to discuss with this me is unreasonable, it would make me appear rude.

Expecting me to remain in silent disagreement when people are allowed to speak their disagreement with me is completely unreasonable.

If you don't like the discussion, you don't have to participate. Plus, as the discussion is on-topic, you don't even have to read it as you won't miss out on anything by no longer reading this thread. The only things I can think of being posted here are 1) "Yay for Steam", 2) "Boo for Steam, refund please" and 3) this discussion.

13. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

It seems the basis of this whole discussion and the inertia behind it is XyemIncognito's stubbornness and everyone else's defensiveness. Why is it allowed to continue?

14. XyemIncognito

XyemIncognito
    Expand Collapse

I'm sorry, but I am struggling to get how I didn't make it clear. My first sentence I've ever spoken on this forum was:

And every point about Steam after that could have been easily countered by "well.. don't use Steam then, it's available here". None of which were offered (until today, and unofficially as far as I can tell..).

It's still unclear if BeamNG will be providing BeamNG.drive (alpha and full) outside of Steam as lots of things point to them not. Firstly, they removed the direct download "page", so it is only in the forum. Secondly, they gave me a refund based on my objection to it only being available on Steam, which doesn't make sense if my objection isn't valid.

Some clarification, maybe as a new topic/announcement from the devs as to what is happening would be great. As I said, I really want to support this game, so I would be really happy to repurchase.

15. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I'm sorry but I'm struggling to see how it isn't clear.

So lets see, the game is still available outside of steam on the forums (its zipped on another thread) and steam exclusivity is temporary. There we go. Sorted.

16. XyemIncognito

XyemIncognito
    Expand Collapse

Because it is pretty civil?

People are trying to convince me that Steam isn't a problem. I am trying to explain how it is.

I don't see why there is a problem with that.

- - - Updated - - -

Woo :)

17. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

Steam isn't a problem when my friends, my brother and I have been using it for years and we all have a ton of games and NONE of us has ever had a problem. Why don't you just give it another chance and don't give up on something at the first small problem you encounter.

18. XyemIncognito

XyemIncognito
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure what you intended with this statement. Are you saying that because you and the people you know haven't had a problem, no-one else does? Are you saying that the problems I've experienced are my fault, thus not the fault of Steam?

I regard not being able to use something I have purchased as a big problem and I believe a year is quite a lot of chance. It seems to have been plenty of chance for Steam to demonstrate that my dislike of it is valid as it continually reminds me of it (the first problem I experienced still happens every time).

19. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

see though, with your logic of how steam is drm for beamng, then the beamng updater system is also DRM.

How so?

BeamNG's Updater before steam: Insert key: downloads game/updates game (Make free ACC on beamng forums for access to .drive forums for mods and such)

Steam System: Insert key: downloads game/updates game (Make free ACC to login to steam to insert key, or if you have a PSN acc, you can use that)

no difference whatsoever, other then steam will have less problems in terms of anti-viruses and slow download speeds because of overloaded server's

if you have slower download speeds, check the steam settings to make sure it's set to the closest server (on very rare occasions, steam's auto-detect doesn't detect your location correctly)

and if you really insist on never using steam, as stated many times before, the normal downloads are still on the forums

20. XyemIncognito

XyemIncognito
    Expand Collapse

I thought the updater was optional, is it not? If it is optional, it isn't DRM as losing access to the updater doesn't prevent you from acquiring the game (other methods are available). If it is mandatory, it is DRM.. however, I have no idea which is the case as I can't run it! :)

DRM is something external to the installer that you don't control that can prevent you from using or acquiring what you have purchased.

So, for example, having to log into BeamNG, GOG, Humble Bundle etc. to download the installer is not DRM, as it occurs before the installer is involved.

Steam, as the installer, contacts a remote server to verify you can download the game. The remote server is external to the installer, so Steam is DRM.
    A bespoke installer that does a key check on a remote server is also DRM (the remote server is external to the installer).
    A game that check with a remote server (remote server is external) every time you run it, has DRM.
    A game that checks with a remote server (remote server is external) all the time, has DRM.
    A game that checks if you have the CD in the drive (CD is external), has DRM.
    A game that checks if you have virtual CD software (the VCD is external), has DRM.

Basically, it has to pass the island test. You are stranded on a desert island with your laptop. You have the installer for a game as provided to you (i.e. an official install method). If you can install and run the game, it doesn't have DRM. If you can't, it does.

If you have to use an unofficial install method (e.g. zipping up the game directory as suggested), you have had to bypass the installer. Why would you have to bypass something if it wasn't getting in your way?

I have been in arguments about what classes as DRM for several years so I believe my logic here is pretty robust and not arbitrary. However, if you can describe a case where it doesn't work (ascribes DRM-free to DRM or the inverse), or think an aspect of it is arbitary, do tell me so I can refine the logic (bespoke exceptions are never allowed! :))

Thanks for the advice, but I have already checked that. There are only 2 servers in my country and both of them have poor download speeds.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice