1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Steam keys: available for alpha testers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tdev, Aug 9, 2014.

1. luchvk

luchvk
    Expand Collapse

I completed the process, got the Steam version, and linked my account without a real issue. Thank you for this update, it's nice to finally have an official version of BeamNG on Steam. :)

On the other hand, I didn't get a Steam badge like some other people did. :confused:

2. Stian Aarskaug

Stian Aarskaug
    Expand Collapse

If I install it in Steam, can I still install it the regulat way later? I don't wish to be locked to either this or that. :)

3. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

From the OP:

Only Steam from now on. The launcher will still be working for some time until they completely switch to steam, probably when they start selling it on steam.

4. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

My FPS are back to being fine. I'm certain this is just a migration bug of some kind and is hopefully fixed. Try signing off/logging on to steam a few times. Would be nice to know if the updater schedule is still
    in place and if it will notify users.

- - - Updated - - -

5. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Don't need it with steam. Steam will highlight the game in yellow and write " - Update Required" after the title in the little side pane in your library. It will also notify on game launch. This assumes automatic updating is turned off, otherwise if an update is released and steam is running it will just download it. Very slick system. Auto updating can be turned on and off on a per game basis. Some games won't let you launch the game without all updates though :/ At least steam supports resumed downloads so even on my terrible connection it isn't a major issue.

6. cool271

cool271
    Expand Collapse

Where do I find my order id? I can't find it in my parent's email or mine.

7. RCDuke

RCDuke
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I don't see a Steam badge either. Perhaps the badges are on this forum instead?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

8. Lawrs91

Lawrs91
    Expand Collapse

I got my Steam account linked successfully, but nothing ever happened after that and it's been over 24 hours now. Shouldn't I get a Steam key or the game in my Steam games list?

aaand of course, when I do the exact same thing as I did like four times yesterday it suddenly works.

9. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

If you go onto the download tab it will have your steam key displayed, then you go into your steam library, click add a game then "Activate a product on steam"

- - - Updated - - -

you do, its small and under all the location info etc, straight above where the thanks button goes.

10. Lawrs91

Lawrs91
    Expand Collapse

I did that several times yesterday with no success. I just had to keep linking my Steam account to the forum account which I did and it said it succeeded every time but suddenly today, it worked.

11. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I don't see one for you, I do for most long term members here. Have you linked your steam account? There isn't actually a steam badge technically, its actually a link to alternate social networks for your profile (in your profile settings you can add your skype details etc too and they will appear alongside the steam icon).
    In the original purchase email. If you cannot find it then you can contact support with your profile name and the email addresses you think you might have used and usually they'll help you find it: http://www.beamng.com/contactus/

12. RCDuke

RCDuke
    Expand Collapse

SixSixSevenSeven, thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that I needed to link my steam account to my forum account to get the badge. I now have the steam icon under my profile icon here on the forum!

When I was posting earlier, I was posting from my phone so I didn't see any steam icons whatsoever.

13. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

You need that to get the steam key anyway (on the download tab) in order to download any future update

14. RCDuke

RCDuke
    Expand Collapse

Are you sure? I was able to get a steam key and successfully download the game before linking my account. Oh well, I'm not sure it matters now since I've done both things.

Thanks!

15. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

We just sent the email around to everyone containing their personal steam key :)

16. DigitalX

DigitalX
    Expand Collapse

Good to see this, thanks guys!

17. Octopus

Octopus
    Expand Collapse

One of the main reasons I bought this game was because it DIDN'T require Steam. I abhor Steam, and would NEVER have given you guys my money if I had known you were going to make it mandatory.

Fool me once, I guess...

18. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

What's wrong with steam?

19. BaronRedStorm

BaronRedStorm
    Expand Collapse

Whats the point steam Beamng is better for the devs Because they don't have to bother with the updater or launcher anymore Steam launches and updates beamng

20. Octopus

Octopus
    Expand Collapse

I refuse to use any program that forces you to install and use a client. I find Steam to be the worst of the bunch, partially due to how prolific it is. It seems that a large number of publishers/developers are under the impression that you can't release a game without forcing Steam down everyone's throat.

I find the situation with BeamNG particularly irksome because when I purchased this game, one of the selling points was that the game itself was DRM free. There was no fine print stating "*Until August 2014, at which point we'll be going Steam only. Don't use Steam? Too bad. We already got your money."

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice