1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Steering lag

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Slammington, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Ever since I've started using gaming wheels with this game (so far I've used a G25, a fanatec wheel, and a G27), I've noticed a slight steering lag. Between moving the wheel and the game reacting, there's about a tenth of a second delay. This makes countersteering after a bad corner impossible, and makes driving feel slow and unresponsive in most cars.

Is this the case for everyone, or is there a way to fix it?

#1 Slammington, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MovingCNTower

MovingCNTower
    Expand Collapse

Just for my own curiosity:
    Have you tried an Xbox controller? If so, does it lag too?
    Do you have the latest drivers for the wheels installed?
    Do the wheels work fine in other games?

3. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

The g27 (only one i have atm) works perfectly in other games, and the drivers are up to date.

I haven't tried an xbox controller because I don't own one.

4. MovingCNTower

MovingCNTower
    Expand Collapse

Does it lag with the keyboard?
    Something that I have seen on the web is that if you plug it into usb ports on the front of your case or though a hub there may be lag. Try plugging it in to the motherboard usb ports. Also try adjusting steering deadzone controls.

5. SuperNoob05

SuperNoob05
    Expand Collapse

Make sure the filtering on the "steer" control setting is set to direct

6. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

How do I do this?

7. MovingCNTower

MovingCNTower
    Expand Collapse

On the main menu of BeamNG, go to the controls, Force feed back tab, click the "+" beside Steering, and then there is the filter option with a drop-down menu.

8. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer & Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Not the '+' button, since that will add a new binding. Click on the existing 'xaxis' binding instead, and then leave as 'auto' or manually set to 'direct' if in doubt.

Additioanlly, make sure to reduce the "Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames" (in nvidia control panel), or the equivalent for AMD graphics cards, to the minimum possible value. That can create quite some input lag if you are having low framerates.

Also, what framerates are you getting? Physics only run in real time above 20fps; anything below that will be variably slowmotion physics, which will make the input seem slow.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

I get around 60 fps most of the time, so that is not an issue. Also, selectinng "direct" on the filter options didn't work. Is it possible that the lag is "built in" the game?

10. clayton8or

clayton8or
    Expand Collapse

No... works fine on my G27... i do not understand your issue.

11. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Are you serious about 300mS lag? No problem in other games? The input code is extremely low latency now, I think the issues must be graphical (prerendered frames, stuttering, or something like that).

12. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer & Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

I you have SLI or equivalent, please completely disable it.
    Additionally, since you mention you can keep high fps, try setting the frame limiter to somethingn like 40fps and disable vsync too.
    Also check your screen configuration (using its built-in menu): disable any image postprocessing that may be happening on it. Usually this is achieved by setting your screen to "game mode", but check your manual if unsure. Disable any interpolation, smoothing, brightness adjustments and features it may have, when possible.
    If you have any converter in the path from your gpu to your screen (e.g. an HDMI switch, an HDMI audio extractor, a VGA/DVI to HDMI converter box, an external recorder/capture device, etc etc), remove them all and make sure to have a direct connection from your pc to your screen.
    Try disabling any post-fx effects in beamng graphics options.
    Finally, to rule out the problem being in the dynamic steering code, can you please attach your Documents/BeamNG.Drive/beamng.log file?

We have been working for months to reduce the motion-to-photons latency in beamng, currently the physics engine is provided with input information with a delay from 4 to 20ms (usb drivers overhead included) since the input movement actually happened. Physics adds half a milisecond (that's 0.0005 seconds) of additional delay. From there it's all the rendering pipeline and on to the screen.

We have postponed plans to reduce that even more because there are more pressing issues, but in any case, a possible improvement of 10 milliseconds is of course not going to make a difference if you are getting a whopping 333ms of delay in the first place.

13. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

It seems the delay is somewhat smaller, I'd estimate about 1 or 2/10ths of a second.

Here is the file. I won't try any of these solutions today as I am very tired. Will try them tomorrow :)

Attached Files:

14. stbest95

stbest95
    Expand Collapse

is there a delay between you moving the steering wheel and the ingame-wheel turning,
    or only a delay between turning and the car reacting?

because i have experienced some kind of delay in the steering as well, but the virtual wheel reacts immediately.
    seems like it takes the tires a fraction of a second to point in the direction they are supposed to.
    this tends to cause me to steer harder than i have to because my initial steering input doesnt seem to be enough,
    but then the car suddenly turns in and i have to reduce the lock to prevent running into a tree ...
    kind of hard to describe, but makes the driving feel really weird.

using a G25 by the way, have only had this happen in beamng while other sims are fine (like assetto corsa for example)

15. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

The in game steering takes about a tenth of a second to react. After that the car will turn like a real one. If you want to test this with your own wheel, get low and look at the wheel, and line up the wheel center and "spokes" with the game wheel on the screen. Then turn your wheel fast to both sides. You'll notice the wheel on the screen will be a bit delayed.

Also, if you want to compare the feel of it, play LFS. No steering lag at all, that's where I see most of the difference.

Also, I don't have an SLI option in my Nvidia panel, so I assume I just don't have it. (750 ti). Limiting FPS or disabling postFX didn't help. I think this is actually a problem with the game's code. I haven't tried plugging the wheel into the back of my PC yet.

16. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

UPDATE: plugging it into the back of the PC also does not fix the issue. I'm almost certain at this point it's in the game code.

17. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Bump, anyone else experiencing this problem?

18. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

You'd know if you had SLI. SLI would require you to add a second identical GPU.

19. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Pretty certain at this point it's probably a problem in the game code.

20. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

I'll hook up a G27 again at some point. It will be weeks or months from now. I didn't notice anything unexpected the last time, but we'll see.

There is certainly no stick-to-steering-wheel delay in the Xbox 360 controller I have hooked up currently. Since you are currently alone in seeing this problem, I suggest that you borrow a 360 controller and test with it as suggested by MovingCNTower above.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice