1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Steering lag

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Slammington, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

I have this issue aswell... But I am running through a VGA to DVI converter due to me using a crappy 7-8 year old flat screen monitor :p

2. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

On a side note, wouldnt the steering be affected by the physics rather than just the GPU?

Whats your CPU? @Slammington

3. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

Sorry for chain posting, but What is the equivilant for AMD cards?

4. mumboking

mumboking
    Expand Collapse

One of these?

There's no conversion happening. The graphics card is outputting a VGA signal on some of the DVI connector's pins. This just connects those pins to a VGA connector.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

Ah, thank you for clarifying :p

But still, I thought I would mention it.

6. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

I have an Intel I3 4130 @3.40 GHz.
    The steering lag is in the in game steering wheel vs the real life one (i.e. the entire game responds about 1/8th of a second late to any input), not the physics of the car's front wheels turning.
    Also, I don't use a converter for my screen (LG Flatron W2253TQ)

The lag also happens with other controllers.

7. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

I adjusted my settings so I was running around 40-50 FPS and I didnt get any sereous latency from my DFGT and the game.
    Normally I run around 30-35 since its easier on my eyes, but that created some latency.

I am actually confused at this point :p
    I cant replicate this and I have a PC worse than yours. Thats saying something XD

8. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Have you played LFS? Compare that to BeamNG, in my case at least LFS has no input lag at all.
    If not, line up the real wheel with the game wheel by looking at it, and turn it quickly to both sides. No difference at all between the two?
    Yet another test: Try drifting or countersteering on any corner with a RWD car. I can't seem to do this at all in BeamNG due to the lag.

9. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

@Driv3r1142 - So when you line your head up (in the real world) to get a good view of your DFGT and the in-game steering wheel you are able to observe up to a 1/3 second lag between spinning the DFGT and watching the steering wheel move in BeamNG.drive?

As far as the other stuff from your posts:
    • You may use the edit button, no need to chain post.
    • While the CPU could potentially affect the game's performance, physics runs in real-time when the frame-rate is above 20fps. Slammington gets "around 60 fps", so I think that issue is ruled out.
    • The equivalent setting for AMD cards? Google is your friend. FQS does appear to be the same as pre-rendered frames, despite a confusing typo on the RadeonPro website. See here and here.
    • mumboking is 100% correct about that specific type of adapter.
    @Anyone discussing graphics settings: As far as I'm concerned, I don't see the point in adjusting vsync, prerendered frames, triple-buffering, etc for Slammington. At 60fps a 1/3s lag would be 20 frames. None of those settings affect anywhere near that number of frames! While anything of those settings might have a small, noticeable, lag they should not have the type of lag that was brought up in the OP.

EDIT: That wasn't a "confusing typo" on the RadeonPro website, it was correct. Those two settings do something different than I thought they did, reference here and here.

#29 torsion, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Ignore my original post, it seems I exagerated. The lag is about 1/8th or 1/10th of a second. Still quite noticeable, though

11. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

Im gonna make a thread about this so we dont derail this one.

1; I have not played LFS, yet I have played other games on my PC where I have no input lag.
    I adjust my settings in BeamNG and I lose the latency, I lower the FPS limiter, I get the latency.
    2; Let me try Drifting a RWD vehicle. I normally dont drift with RWD vehicles in BeamNG since I am so used to the arcade controls of Driver SF and handbrake turning that I default to FWD vehicles.

12. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

@Slammington - It happens. 1/10 second is still large: 100ms or 6 frames at 60fps. Depending on your settings, we can expect between 17-50ms of lag just from the graphics card (at a rock-solid 60fps - worse if you are getting lower fps). Earlier in the thread stenyak said that getting the info from the real world to the physics engine should take between 4ms and 20ms (all included). So in a worst case scenario at 60fps you might see 70ms of latency (closer to 1/15s lag). Maybe that's still in the ballpark though, so I'd say that you might want to take a close look at relevant GPU settings.

@Driv3r1142 - If you can reproduce Slammington's problem then the appropriate place to talk about it is here. If not then there is nothing to talk about.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

I can reproduce his issue with my FPS at 35-50. Anything higher and I dont see it.

14. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

What GPU settings should I check?

Also, the lag seems to happen with my keyboard aswell. It's more noticeable on it too. If you want to test this, get in the cockpit of a vehicle and press the right or left arrow to steer. you'll notice a small delay before the steering wheel on the car moves.

EDIT: I've tried this with the steering app, to see if it was the car itself or the game. It seems the entire game responds to my input with some latency, so physics or vehicles are out of the question at the moment.

#34 Slammington, Dec 6, 2015
  15. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

The keyboard is strongly filtered by default. At the default settings you won't learn anything from comparing analog inputs to keyboard inputs. Set "Filter" to Direct for both Steer Right and Steer Left. If this does not drastically change the steering response then something is definitely wrong on your end. (Either the game is misbehaving or you're doing something wrong.) Note that pressing the left/right keyboard keys with the Direct filter should be the equivalent of instantly turning the steering wheel full lock - I see some inconsistent behavior in game which is apparently due to this.(?)

The steering app shows the in-game steering wheel position. That's not showing you anything that watching the in-game steering wheel wouldn't.

You've already set filtering on the "Steer" input to Direct and applied that, right? Note that there are separate input settings for the analog steering axis and the two keyboard steering keys - changing the settings for one thing will not affect the other.

Do you have an nVidia or AMD graphics card?

EDIT: see my post below.

#35 torsion, Dec 6, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  16. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Correction, the steering app appears to show show both input and in-game steering wheel position. My mistake. If I've got it right now I think that we are seeing filtered input in blue at the bottom and in-game steering wheel position on the rotating steering wheel icon. If that's correct this system looks somewhat broken to me. My keyboard keys are set to Direct, but occasionally my input is very clearly filtered.

17. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

The wheel's response is not affected by setting the filter to "direct", and the keyboard steering becomes much faster. However, the lag is still there. Yes, I changed the steering for both steering wheel and keyboard keys.
    I have an nVidia card (GTX 750ti)

18. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

I think that the first two things to address would be "Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames" (in nVidia control panel) as stenyak pointed out and setting the FPS limiter slightly below what you are normally capable of achieving.

19. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Changing these settings didn't help with the lag. I'm pretty sure it's in the game engine itself.

20. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

In which case we'd all get the issue, not just you

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice