1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Steering lag

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Slammington, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Is it possible that my game might have a bug somewhere that causes this? If not, I can't think of what might be the problem.

2. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Would it be possible for you to record a 60+ fps video with a GoPro or cellphone which shows the problem? (eg the video shows the wheel in real life and the wheel in the game)

If you can record at a really high FPS (120 or 240) that would be ideal. The latest flagship phones can all do this btw, so if you happen to have one you can do this. I think that all GoPro Hero 3 and Hero 4 cameras are at least capable of 100fps, some of them up to 240fps. You can upload the raw video file directly to a 'big file' sharing website to avoid any problems with Youtube etc.

This will serve two purposes: it should clearly demonstrate the nature of your problem and more importantly it will let us count out how much lag is occurring.

3. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

The short answer is no, sadly.

4. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm surprised. It seems odd to me that you have access to multiple $200-and-up steering wheels but no modern smartphones or action cameras. Not everyone has the funds for that sort of thing, but surely you must have well-moneyed friends based on the collection of wheels you've tried?

I don't mean to overstep, and if you said "this isn't a big problem for me and I don't care to take the time to record and post a video" then I'd certainly understand. That said, so far I've gotten the impression that this problem is something that (understandably) bothers you and it's something you'd like to see fixed.

5. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Well, I bought the G27 used for about 180 euro after selling the fanatec wheel for a profit, and the g25 simply broke, so I really don't have the funds. My phone records at 15 fps, lol.

6. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

I gotcha!

7. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer & Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

I've measured BeamNG motion-to-photons latency at around 160ms (less than 1/6th of a second). That is a bit too high when you want to drive "seriously" (for example setting laptimes on fast-reacting cars), even though it's perfectly fine for more casual driving.

Typical achievable figures for PC/Windows plataform, in best-case scenarios, are around 80ms, so there is indeed room for improvement.

We are aware of a way of shaving off around 20ms, which we haven't had time to implement yet. That would leave us with 60 extra ms to remove, which is way higher than I expected before measuring the latency today.

We will keep it in mind, it is possible that we are overlooking something in the complexity that BeamNG physics require, though we cannot promise anything.

In the meantime, try to keep your framerates as high as possible (by reducing graphics detail) and, just in case, verify that you are not having any weird additional problems:
    DPC Latency Checker should always show less than 1ms of delay (this is an orientative number of the latency between steering wheel firmware outputting values to USB, to Windows actually reading them)
    DIView should average around 2-5ms of delay in your logitech wheel (is the delay between Windows receiving the input values, and Windows sending those values to BeamNG).

• Like Like x 3
  8. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for measuring. I look forward to seeing any improvements! I have pretty poor hand-eye coordination, so it can be hard for me to pick out latency issues. That said, I'm sure that if you make improvements it'll be a little better for everyone doing harrowing stuff like Scepheo's ECA Rally Tournament.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

From what I gathered in DIView my wheel seems to have 10-30 ms of latency, at least in this particular software. Here's a screenshot.

10. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

If you have taken the screenshot after stopping moving the wheel, it may appear to be a higher latency, compared to taking the screenshot at the same time you are moving the wheel. Even then, the average on your screenshot is 10ms, with a couple of zeros in there, which looks normal and nothing to worry about.

11. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. So if my wheel is fine, what might be the problem? I get steering lag in every game except live for speed (mad skidz yo)

12. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

I am confused, earlier on the thread you mentioned that "The g27 (only one i have atm) works perfectly in other games". If almost all games have problems, the problem most probably is not BeamNG but something else.

13. Prizedcoffeecup

Prizedcoffeecup
    Expand Collapse

So Slammington, I'd like to ask what system specs you are running, but I would like to ask another thing too: How full is your hard drive and does your web browser or other parts of your system do any strange things? Even one virus can upset the orchestra that your computer hardware is performing.

I also have a few more questions to ask, but I can't ask them until I've got some idea of the hardware you have installed and how healthy the software it powers actually is.

14. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Within reason, a near full hard drive impacts nothing.

15. Prizedcoffeecup

Prizedcoffeecup
    Expand Collapse

Of course a near full hard drive wouldn't impact anything very much if at all, but it's part of the second half of the question I asked. Like people, malware and other things come in many shapes and sizes, and one sign of malware is the hard drive inexplicably filling up slowly but surely over time. It's not as common nowadays, but I did a full guns-blazing cleanup of a Windows 7 desktop full of 3 different malware doing just that a week ago.

16. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, my mistake. Most games do have lag, except for ETS2 and LFS. Assetto Corsa has some lag but it's almost unnoticeable.

My hard drive is about 90% full, I'm not aware of any malaware on my PC.

I have an intel i3-4130 @3.40GHz, 8 gigs of ram, my GPU is a GTX 750ti. Not sure about PSU or Motherboard.

17. Prizedcoffeecup

Prizedcoffeecup
    Expand Collapse

Alright...I would recommend doing some cleanup of your computer first to see what happens. It will take a few hours and some patience, maybe even a day sometimes, but I would recommend it.

If you aren't running Windows 10 or 8 and have no antivirus software, Microsoft still hosts their antivirus program Microsoft Security Essentials on their website. It is a basic antivirus but is hard to beat nowadays in terms of a free antivirus. And if you don't know how to clean your operating system, there are so many guides on the internet on how to clean your computer that YouTube alone must have more than 2000 guides by now.

If the input lag and overall performance don't improve very noticeably at all, you can message me for more help with troubleshooting this issue.

18. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Should I simply run CCleaner or is there a better way to clean my pc?

19. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

CCleaner will only dump temporary and cached files, oh and a few registry keys but you wont save much there. Certainly worth doing.

I'd recommend the following and in this order specifically:
    Windows disk cleanup
    Windows defrag
    Malwarebytes scan (free, by far best free tool out there, however it does not offer realtime protection, you will need to keep a full time antivirus too)
    CCleaner

Then once that is done, go through and manually find old documents you dont need anymore, any duplicate files you've acquired, uninstall games you dont play etc. Going further, you could add a second harddrive just to keep large files and games on.

20. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

I think that other posters have missed the bottom line: Your lag in BeamNG.drive seems to be very similar to what stenyak has measured. If we assume that stenyak's system does not have a problem (malware, full SSD, too weak, etc) then we should be able to assume that your system is in a similar condition. In other words, it seems that the other racing games you have which are affected by lag (I do not think that you have provided a list of affected software) are simply that slow. End of story, right? Am I missing a key point?

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice