1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Steering lag

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Slammington, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Here's a list of games i've tried:
    Assetto Corsa
    LFS
    BeamNG.drive
    Euro Truck Simulator 2
    DIRT 2
    RaceRoom
    Project CARS

All of them had the same ammount of lag except for Assetto Corsa, which had a very small ammount of lag, almost unnoticeable.
    LFS, Euro Truck Sim 2 and DIRT2 had no lag whatsoever (in other words, so little lag it's not important). However, I only tried DIRT 2 on my G25 so that may have changed.

2. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

BUMP

Torsion, if the problem is that the games are simply too slow, wouldn't BeamNG's steering lag for everyone else? It seems that nobody else apart from me can recognize this latency.

3. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

I'll try and make 2 points:
    1. Based on reading post #12 in this thread I think stenyak was under the impression that lag was something like 40-60ms. That's a developer who thought that lag was less than half of the measured result. I've already mentioned that I can't easily tell the difference. I think people (even devs) just can't easily tell the difference.
    2. If the lag you've noticed is present in many games then that is the status quo. By definition gamers are used to the status quo. They certainly won't notice it in the latest physics-driving game where many users already have performance issues due to low/mid-end hardware. Don't forget that as far as we know most users are using the keyboard, followed by a second group using analog gamepads... followed by a small fraction using wheels. The keyboards and gamepads are both filtered, lag is the least of those users' problems. [As another example... Nobody complains about that horrible shadow-detail circle that surrounds the camera in every game either. It breaks my immersion every few minutes in nearly every game! I don't mention it because it's the status quo. This terribly unattractive game behavior has probably been around for a decade now.]
    You must remember that it's not possible to have zero lag. By definition with computer games as they are currently rendered we have some lag - both the input and output systems in modern computers create a delay. It's basically a sure thing that there will be some small delay in between too. If my users can't tell the difference between 30ms and 130ms, but they can tell the difference between pixel-shaded candy paint and regular gloss... guess what I'm going to focus on?

I'd love for someone to prove me wrong, but the fact that your problem doesn't affect all of your games coupled with the fact that you get similar latency to stenyak pretty much seals the deal here.

• Like Like x 1
  4. wearyNATE15

wearyNATE15
    Expand Collapse

I think i have this problem, But i dont really notice it. The steering wheel in cockpit mode is a little slow with my wheel, But i dont notice.

5. wearyNATE15

wearyNATE15
    Expand Collapse

Also on other games i play, It doesnt lag, But when it does, Its because the game its self is lagging (MSI GT740, Not GTX)

6. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer & Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

To be honest, these days I rarely even switch to cockpit camera, or move the wheel from the side of the desk to the center in order to drive. Most of the time I'm using development builds where I'm happy to reach 15FPS (where public builds reach 60FPS easily), so latency is a given for me 90% of the time, which makes it difficult to realize when it should NOT be the case ;)

But yeah, I hate latency as much as the next guy, I have spent my fair share of hours debugging latency in *other* well known sims, since it makes it impossible to do quick laptimes, and I'd also love to see it reduced as much as possible in BeamNG.drive. Let's hope we can allocate more time for this in the future :)

• Like Like x 4
  7. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the response, it's nice to see that the devs listen to the community :)

8. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer & Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Just a heads up, version 0.5.1 fixed some latency issues that were only present when using keyboard or mouse. Still working on rest of controllers, but it takes time so I'm not sure if I'll get any results sometime soon.

• Like Like x 1
  9. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Your work does not go unnoticed! :) I was happy to see that in the patch notes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. HighDef

HighDef
    Expand Collapse
    Game Design, QA and burnouts.
    BeamNG Team

I think you guys might be getting the steering filter like i am at the moment. Near when the early access started there was a hot key to turn it on and off, I think it was shift+B but it doesn't seem to work now. I toggles the steering filter which is for using keyboard or buttons (ick) for steering. Sorry if I'm telling you all something you already know but I read all this graphics lag stuff and I'm thinking, naa I don't think so.
    --- Post updated ---
    I just unassigned the 'steer left' and 'steer right' buttons and reassigned the wheel, put it on direct and the sluggish steering has gone. But now I think I can see the lag you speak off, 160ms seem about right, hmm I'm running 6600k with 16gb ddr4 and 5850 card so I guess it maybe a problem for everyone at this time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. wearyNATE15

wearyNATE15
    Expand Collapse

Nice bump......

12. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

It's still relevant, so it doesn't really matter.

• Like Like x 2
  13. HighDef

HighDef
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

I'm an original player so I'm allowed :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

I tried a f*ck old version of BeamNG I found in my PC files. The steering lag is pretty much negligible. I was pretty surprised, driving was fun even with no FFB and the horrible cars of the time.

15. wearyNATE15

wearyNATE15
    Expand Collapse

Who is saying im not? Maybe i just made this account on here, as i had a question when i made it?

• Like Like x 1
  16. HighDef

HighDef
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Yes, who is saying your not.
    --- Post updated ---
    Yea I found a few of the levels that I made back then, my how it's changed and the way I make levels these days. I EFFIN LOVE the update today! TrackIR support I never play, anything that supports it, without it. So happy. Can't wait for proper tyre thermos.

17. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

Getting pretty damn tired of seeing you post this in so many front page topics :|

• Like Like x 2
  18. Drug-dealer

Drug-dealer
    Expand Collapse

First one is slow mo:

And the second one in normal speed, sorry for vertical video:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice