Unsolved Steering weakness

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by Sh3lbYe, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Sh3lbYe

Sh3lbYe
    Expand Collapse

When trying to increase steering angle for our drift pessima, i ended up with some problems, sometimes, for exmple if i am counter steering to the left, the left wheel has not enough strengh to hold the angle that the wheel is steering, which then, the wheel stays at 90º without the debug showing any broken beams, then sometimes, when i steer to the opposite way the wheel comes back to normal, then other times the beam brokes, its hard to explain so i did a video. the same happens when i countersteer to the right, except that it is on the right wheel.

https://vid.me/LxHq
    https://vid.me/GF0j

ive noticed too that the wheel that normally has this issue when steering to one side, woobles a bit, which shows that has not enough strengh to hold that angle, i did try messing around with "beamspring", "beamdeform", and "beamStrength" with little to no success, is it possible to some way add more strengh and tighness to the beam that is responsible for the steering so that the wheels can hold the angle?
    i also did a video showing the wheels woobling, would love some help with this, thanks.

https://vid.me/cvx3

#1 Sh3lbYe, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  2. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

The wheel inversion is to do with the following style of issue.
    tmp_14222-IMG_20170419_2329531353419546.jpg
    This diagram is an over simplification for the purposes of illustration.
    When you steer the "Steering Hydro" contracts and lengthens to rotate the wheel hub around the steering "pivot". Once it is rotated so far the wheel and hydro form a straight line. This means that the wheel may invert when the steering hydro expands again.
    You can try using a different node to connect the hydro beams to in order to reduce the issue. However by doing so you will make the wheel more unstable with higher forces applied to it. Hence why it can be a little tricky to do.

If you have widened the wheelbase by essentially putting spacers on the car this will help to make it less stable, because rather than rotating around the centre of the wheel when steering the wheel is moving in an arc motion.
    It is possible to add more BeamSpring to the hydros to try and make them stiffer, this may help you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sh3lbYe

Sh3lbYe
    Expand Collapse

thanks for taking your time and try to help! i did think about the thing you said, about the other node to help the wheel dont angle more than it should however i don't really know how i would do it to be honest, been testing, with more track width and less track width, and suprisingly, it showed little improvements by widening the wheel base , as well as camber, with little to no camber ive had some small improvements, however it still happens sometimes especcially when its necessary to steer all way to the right or left, did try once again changing beam spring values, but without any improvements, also recorded a video, of that happening, while i was driftin around

https://vid.me/GF0j

just tried with smaller wheels, with improvements, now the problem happens way less times, allthough it still happens

#3 Sh3lbYe, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  4. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Sh3lbYe

Sh3lbYe
    Expand Collapse

Amazing thank you so much, so much better now.... after spending some time moving nodes i have the perfect steering, the wheels can hold the angle, drifting with this is so much better.
    One more question, i dont think its worth create a new thread, so i think ill put it here, after trying to fix the steering with the instructions you gave me, i came up with the idea of trying to have more camber, but have it by moving nodes, tried to move nodes "rh2l/r" from rear suspension, i bring them inside with the though that by putting the upperarm shorter would angle the wheel. That did nothing, so instead i lower the variables values of camber down to 0.88 (min) and decreased "beamSpring" from nodes "rx2l/r" and "rh2l/r" so they don't broke, they indeed did not broke, and that worked, but as i did the same to the front suspension, i noticed the wheels were a bit weak, is there a way to have more camber than the default values the game gives you, but without suffering the strengh of the suspension? did i move the right node?

6. *ST4RBUCK*

*ST4RBUCK*
    Expand Collapse

can we do it by tuning the car?

#6 *ST4RBUCK*, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice