1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Steering wheel FFB

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by clayton8or, Sep 15, 2015.

1. clayton8or

clayton8or
    Expand Collapse

I wanted to make a thread to see if people have figured out realistic settings for the force feedback on certain wheels, mine is a G27 so that is preferred because no matter what i try i cannot find a setting that is comfortable that doesnt feel like your driving on ice with no friction whatsoever.

2. JackAttak

JackAttak
    Expand Collapse

I have my FFB set on 50% in the logitech profiler for my G27. It feels right for me. Sure, the FFB in the game isn't perfect, but it's pretty good on a G27. You should be able to find a suitable setting.

3. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer & Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Hello,
    Today's update brings much improved force feedback, please give it a try. The default configuration we provide for the Logitech G27 should generally be a good starting point, but you may want to test using less damping now.

4. Tobyto

Tobyto
    Expand Collapse

Hi!

Here are my settings for a Realistic Driving Experience.
    Below i give you a detailed documentation of what i've learned working with the Logitech software and the G27.
    This could help, even if you're not searching for a Force Feedback Setting close to mine. Have fun!! :cool:

YOU HAVE TO USE THE GLOBAL DEVICE SETTINGS!

Force Feedback Device Settings:

Overall Effects Strength: 105
    % (strong effect)

Spring Effect Strength: 0% (no effect)

Damper Effect Strength: 80% (light effect)

Enable Centering Spring in Force Feedback Games: Yes

Centering Spring Strength: 0
    % (strong effect)

Steering Wheel Settings:

Report Combined Pedals: No

Degrees of Rotation:
    900 Degrees

Ingame FFB Settings:

Force Coefficient: 250-800

Force Limit: 2.5

Force Smoothing: 150

Force Smoothing High Frequency: 250

Use the Force Coefficient to adjust the steering force. I recommend you to leave the Force Limit set to standard 2.5. It will change the strength and the overall effects. For a more weak FFB (car with a power steering) set the Force Coefficient to 250 or slightly more. Crank it up for a stronger FFB (car without or with older power steering). I.e. with my Ibishu 200BX Custom Turbo i use 700.

Force Smoothing and Force Smoothing High Frequency here in BeamNG adjust the rumble and vibration of the wheel. I leave Force Smoothing at standart 150. Different settings here will change the feel of front tyre grip and lead to an unrealistic feel of an understear situation (understear=front tyre looses grip). Force Smoothing High Frequency i set to the highest setting to reduce the rumble and vibration to its minimum possible.

Spring Effect Strength has no effect. Damper Effect Strength dampens every effect on the wheel and so it slightly reduces rumble and vibration (or is imagination;)). Centering Spring Strength has a strong effect.

Older approach but try this out for user content mod cars:
    To find the perfect realistic steering forces you eventually have to adjust the Centering Spring Strength in the Logitech Profiler Global Settings to a slightly higher value for each car. If you change the Force Coefficient and the Force Limit in the game engine you will also change the strength of the overall effects produced by the game software. I don't recommend you to go too high with these effects, because your wheel could suffer from it on the long run. So indeed change the Centering Spring Strength. Your wheel won't suffer by strong steering forces (so far as i experienced it).

My general approach:

I always search for the most realistic steering force and center spring feel, that i can get out of my wheel for that specific game. I've got my driving license for 18 years now and since a long time i'm racing on nearly all PC sims and many driving games out there. I've driven some different street cars so far and sometimes i search for the limits of the car on the tarmac. When there is some snow i go drifting on a parking place :rolleyes:

General Explanation:

Some driving games out there are not programmed well for the Logitech Profiler, because the coding of Logitechs software is somehow deficient. But also it is very time consuming to program it right and in the end you'd have to adjust the code for every car AND for every combination of car and track to get it perfect. In nearly all modern finished games (except TDU2:confused:) you need to put the spring effect, the damper effect and the centering spring strength to 0%. With the profilers standard setting at 100% you will have an unrealistic behavior with damped, slower and inaccurate wheel forces or sometimes these sliders don't effect the game either. They are mostly used, if the game is old and has no FFB implemented.

For most games you don't need to setup a specific game profile. The software always reads the Logitech Profiler Global Device Settings and so i only adjust the FFB forces and FFB gain ingame. The game engine is doing the job and i don't want the Logitech software to change the behavior of the wheel. That's why usually i've got my Global Device Settings on 105 / 0 / 0 / yes 0 / no 900 / yes .. because, like i said, mostly all of the games will work best with that for a realistic approach. 101%-107% overall strength is to minimize the dead center of the G27 due to its construction and its motors (a more expensive wheel will give you a much better center spring feel out of the box). The 0% setting for the rest because in most of the cases the Logitech profiler then interferes with the game and blurs out the original FFB information coming from the game engine.

Realistic forces of a steering wheel:
    In an old street car and in cars i.e. like the Lotus Elise, an old open wheel (formula) car or a racing kart you have no power steering build into the car. So the strength you need to turn the wheel, especially when your car is not moving and when you're going fast is much higher than with a power steering. In the case you are not satisfied with the FFB of the car or mod and you want to simulate this, you raise the Centering Spring Strength, the 4th slider of your Logitech Profiler Global Device settings. For an old open wheeler without power steering you could simulate it by cranking up the Centering Spring Strength to a very high value, if you're searching for a realistic feel and the car or mod does not provide it out of the box. But the G27 is not able to give you a realistic feel at all. For that you have to buy the top-notch pro hardware. In an interview the driver of an older Formula One car explained once, that at the end of the race at Monza the last corner into the straight at high speeds over 200 kph the muscles of his left arm reached its limits to hold the wheel and hold the car on track.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you adjust the damping in the Logitech Profiler? I was testing the whole night but i notice just a slight effect of damping the rumble. The Force Smoothing High Frequency Setting has a much stronger effect. Right?

- - - Updated - - -

Did you find a better setting for you? I have a very decent FFB now :)

#4 Tobyto, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  5. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer & Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

I meant the in-game high/low frequency smoothing sliders. Sorry for the confusion, I was away from my work computer and didn't recall the exact terms used in the menu.

As for Logitech settings:

BeamNG.Drive only uses constant force effects. In the Logitech settings window, this is affected by "Overall Effects Strength".
    I am not sure about the latest Logitech firmware, but in the past, selecting a strength different than exactly 100% could lead to undersired effects (so even choosing 101% was better avoided). This applies (or applied) to G25 too.

"Spring" and "Damper Strength" values will have no effect on BeamNG since we don't use such effects, so you may choose any value that suits your other games/sims. In the future we may start using some of these effects to compensate for the lack of chassis feedback (we only have steering column rotation feedback at the moment), but it's not planned to happen in the short term.

"Centering spring" is not recommended at all for BeamNG. Real life vehicles provide a centering effect naturally, since most vehicles suspension is designed to provide it, and our cars sport realistic suspension setups. Arcade and not realistic enough games sometimes have to resort to a centering spring, to compensate the lack of good physics simulation. This is understandable, but is not our case. The centering spring therefore is better turned off.
    The recommended way to achieve this in the case of Logitech drivers has usually been to actually "Enable" the centering effect, and then set the slider all the way down to 0%.

These are just a guidelines. You are free to test different settings, but those are the ones I personally recommend for Logitech Gxx wheels.

Generally, for any sim/game out there, it's generally recommended to leave the hardware driver settings as neutral as possible, and then tune the settings using the game-provided controls.
    If you want all forces to be scaled down a bit (but still fully use the hardware motors in case of a big crash/bump), use the force coefficient.
    If you want to never force your wheel motors to use their full potential (regardless of how hard you crash your car), use the force limiter.
    And to achieve damping in BeamNG, resort to the high/low frequency smoothing parameters.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice