Stereoscopic Ideas

Discussion in 'Utilities and programming' started by PEZZALUCIFER, Jul 23, 2021.

1. PEZZALUCIFER

PEZZALUCIFER
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

My quest to get BeamNG into some kind of 3D that doesn't look bad or run bad is ongoing.

I'm looking for some feedback on these ideas.

My plan so far is this.
    This will work to some extent, however I think atm with my limited knowledge the only way I can get the image to the curved screen is direct projection onto the screen and using warping software to straighten out distortions. The image to the sides will be smeared because the projection is 60 degrees. I think 120 degrees may be the better curve for this use case and I will just have to lose a little vertical resolution.

Ideally I'd use a curved mirror or prism to bend the light however afaik I can't use a mirror with circular polarisation because it modifies the polarisation on reflection. But I may also be able to use different filters/glasses to mitigate this issue.

I could also probably do the math to get custom prisms made, maybe even with a polarisation coating, but I'm not there yet.

I know this is most commonly done with 2x 1080 3D projectors, active glasses, using SBS, warping + blending software but this still looks potato imho.

I have tried doing this in VR also, but my first tests with this effect in VR aren't good.
    • The 3D effect is good, it works, beamng in 3d, wow.. however;
    • SteamVR tracking in opentrack is extremely smoothed, basically worthless.
    • The available mirroring apps only support side by side afaik.. low resolution.. I'm even losing resolution because of VR.. I'd have to write a custom mirror app to send high res images to each eye specifically for this and even then i'd be losing resolution, probably limited to 1600 high due to performance.. just not great overall.
    • The mirroring apps run horrible if they aren't in focus (probably just need to run the mirror in high priority or something, but I haven't got that far, because of general badness ).
    Basically, right now true stereoscopic VR hacks for this are potato.

So, has anyone done these things with great success (4k quality, 60hz)?

Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice