Outdated Strato HMX 920 - Aerobatic Aircraft 3.0

Aerobatic flying at its best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

Re: Aerobatic Aircraft (Extra 300SC)

In regards to naming, I find it to be most useful to look at the inspiration for the name of what you're copying. In this case, the Extra 300 was named after its creator, German professional aerobatic pilot Walter Extra. Perhaps you could look up a variety of central European race or stunt pilots to get inspiration for a new name, or just simply use a generic Anglo-Germanic sounding name (Albert, Busch, Wulff, Dekker, Derick, Kruger, Karl, etc.).

Given how well you've managed to capture the aircraft, though, I see no real reason to off-brand it.

#21 Occam's Razer, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  2. RedBolide

RedBolide
    Expand Collapse

Oh mah god. I can't contain my raging erection...

3. Spartacus

Spartacus
    Expand Collapse

CarlosAir, felicitaciones! Fantastico trabajo! Me recuerda el de Red Bull Race! Muchas gracias!
    CarlosAir , congratulations ! Fantastic job! Reminds me of Red Bull Race! Thank you very much !

4. CarlosAir

CarlosAir
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I think that the reason I wanted to give it another name was probably to avoid comparisons, I didn't want to hear things like "oh, the Extra 300SC has this in this way while yours has it in that other way", being me the first one that would say that, I know no one would be that picky, I guess is just excessive self-criticism :p (did I make myself clear?, I don't think so :p). But, yeah, I didn't follow strictly the blueprints, so some proportions are a bit off, and I designed some things my own way, maybe the cockpit will be very different, and it will definitely wont fly and "feel" like that real Extra (even though I've never flown one, I wish :p). So I don't want to call Extra 300SC to something that isn't a representation as close as possible to the real one, and I could be trying to do that, but I'm not :D.
    But now I think that should not be reason to invent a complete new brand, because it definitely and obviously has the looks of an Extra plane, so I think a good approach is to keep it being an Extra aircraft, but as some invented variant, maybe "Extra 300CA" as WrongBrothers said.

Anyway, why do I write that much? Thanks for your help Occam's Razer! It was very useful! You really got me thinking :p .

And thanks! (Gracias! :p) to everyone else for the comments! I really appreciate them!

5. GabrielFarre

GabrielFarre
    Expand Collapse

I play warthunder for a few months Im lvl 14 and i have tier IV

6. WrongBrothers

WrongBrothers
    Expand Collapse

Bahhhhhh I've been playing for a few months too, and I have low T3 in Britain, high T3 in US, and low T3 tanks in Germany. The new update's really screwed up aircraft battles.

7. GabrielFarre

GabrielFarre
    Expand Collapse

LOL i played my first battle in may :3 and now Im lvl 14 almost 15 and i have almost tier V of airplanes :3

8. MetalMilitia623

MetalMilitia623
    Expand Collapse

I don't play that much, level 8 or something but just got T3 on US. So excited to get my B-17 soon

9. GabrielFarre

GabrielFarre
    Expand Collapse

Lol already have it :3 (b17E)

10. medion

medion
    Expand Collapse

(imported from here)

11. GabrielFarre

GabrielFarre
    Expand Collapse

Poke rainbow :3

12. Toddolius

Toddolius
    Expand Collapse

Awesome!!!

13. CarlosAir

CarlosAir
    Expand Collapse

Ok, a little bit more progress. The most noticeable thing is that there's now a seat :D. Though, it's not a final version. But it even has it's jbeam.

(imported from here)

But there have also been many other minor changes. But still a loooong way to go until this project is close to finished.

(imported from here)

Short video because why not?:
    [webm=]http://www.beamng.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41231&stc=1&d=1410638288[/webm]

Aaand long video because why not? :p

[webm=]http://www.beamng.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41229&stc=1&d=1410637071[/webm]

It's a shame I am on a laptop and I have to use low settings, with graphics settings set to high, the videos would look a ton better. And it would be even better if I could use another map like East Coast :D. But, anyway, I hope they give an idea of how the plane flies.

Attached Files:

#33 CarlosAir, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  14. GabrielFarre

GabrielFarre
    Expand Collapse

I cant wait to release or pre release

15. Sammyo28

Sammyo28
    Expand Collapse

Not sure if you're able to do this, but a real plane's smoke plume would be larger. Also not sure if the real plane has retractable gear, but that'd be cool too.

16. GabrielFarre

GabrielFarre
    Expand Collapse

Yeah like vought f4u :) it looks like F-4U without v wings

17. WrongBrothers

WrongBrothers
    Expand Collapse

Ummmm no it doesn't. The F4U was a huge carrier aircraft (compared to other single-engined planes except the P-47) with a giant radial (14 cylinder 2 row R2800) with a giant prop that had a round-ish fuselage and rounded tail and wings. The Extra is a somewhat small stunt aircraft with square-tipped wings and tail, somewhat boxy fuselage, and an inline engine. Not a whole lot in common except that they're standardly-configured single engined prop planes that don't have bubble canopies.

As for retractable gear, most stunt aircraft have fixed gear. Don't ask me why.

18. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Weight.

19. chris_lucas

chris_lucas
    Expand Collapse

Carlos how long did it take to make.

20. CarlosAir

CarlosAir
    Expand Collapse

I'll have to look into that, but as I said, atm it's only a proof of concept.

I haven't been keeping a record of how many hours I've been working on it. That would be a very interesting thing to know. But my guess is that many :D.

The first appearence of it in the forums was on 7-7-14 (here), showing a rather primitive version of the mesh, so I guess I had started some weeks earlier. And I've been working on it since then, many times a week, almost every week, so, in a very irregular way. :D And you have to add that it's my first project, and my first time using 3D modelling software, so I have been learning throughout the way. I wish I could give you an accurate answer, as I would be very interested in knowing it.

That said, the project is not yet close to finish :p.

#40 CarlosAir, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice