Suggestion for 'Gigawert' 's Altimeter (in feet)

Discussion in 'User Interface Apps' started by B3_Burner, Jul 16, 2019.

1. B3_Burner

B3_Burner
    Expand Collapse

I don't want to bump his release thread from August 2017, and I have no way of private messaging him, so I wish to convey this to the group, and hopefully he sees it.

I have a suggestion for the altimeter. The ability to calibrate it to whatever number you want to use as your base starting point. (Kind of like a Kollsman window on an aircraft altimeter). The reason I suggest this is that I've noticed that depending upon which map I use (default or 3rd party) the waterline is not always calibrated to exactly 0 feet (i.e.-- sea level). Now yes I know, not all bodies of water in the world are at sea level. But there shouldn't be any vast seas or oceans below sea level either. In some maps I've noticed that the altimeter at the water line has read as low as -1,660 ft on some maps! Other maps, I've noted the water line at -512 ft.

Typically lakes and rivers might be higher than sea level, but they should never be lower, and I've seen at least two instances recently where they were. Also, since we don't necessarily want to assume the master water line of any map is zero feet, it would be good to be able to adjust that.

Mr. Gigawert, if you happen to read this... might you consider adding an elevation calibration knob or key entry field; in order to initially offset your altimeter to a chosen height in the map, that we may believe to be more accurate-- just in case the author of a map mod didn't take the proper elevation into consideration?

Thank you.

EDIT: Upon further investigation, it would appear that the disparity lies in the z-setting in the world editor for both the earth entry and the agua/water/carkilla (whatever people are calling it) entry. Those are in meters (not feet, like I had wrongly presumed at first)… and it would appear that many map modders are setting their highest points on their maps at 0m... not their lowest. So everything below the highest mountain peaks are in negative meter-ages... or below theoretical sea level. And then who knows where they're putting the water level itself. Usually below 0 meters as well. Imagine that.... sea level below sea level !!!!!! Surprising? Yeah... sort of. I don't know what to make of it. And since I have no control over what heights map modders default their earth and water levels to, I really wish the altimeter-dude (Gigawerts) would make an override adjustment knob/button, to re-calibrate the altimeter, to account for map modder height variance.

#1 B3_Burner, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  2. B3_Burner

B3_Burner
    Expand Collapse

Whoah ho! Totally missed this guy's app until I accidentally happened upon it-- looking for something else totally unrelated. (Isn't that how one mainly finds what they want?) I think this will address my needs.
    https://www.beamng.com/threads/altitude-indicator.12304/

EDIT: Oooops! King of wishful thinking... I spoke too soon. I can't get it to load or run in my UI menu, or appear in my screen. Anyone haz a guess as to what I'm doing wrong? Is it outdated? Does his 'altitude.zip' file go into docs/beam/mods? Or docs/beam/mods/repo?

EDIT #2:
    Disregard all of the above... I PM'ed the author and it is definitely outdated and doesn't work anymore.
    It was otherwise a nice attempt. Oh well.

#2 B3_Burner, Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice