1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

T.O.D. -- Why is it backwards?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by B3_Burner, May 16, 2020.

1. B3_Burner

B3_Burner
    Expand Collapse

In the game, 0.00 = 12 noon, and 0.50 = 12 midnight.

Shouldn't it be the opposite? 12 midnight starts a day and ends a previous day... hence 0.00% of the way through, and 100.00% of the way through (into the first minute of the next day).

0.50 (50%), should mark 1/2 a day, which would be 12 noon, half way between 2 mid-nights.

Quite perplexing if you ask me. If we're to get used to equating TOD with logical time of day in respect to morning-noon-afternoon-night... it would make a lot more sense if the numbers followed a straight, logical, percentage sequence where higher = later. Not start high at sunrise, & start over again at 0.00 at 12 noon.

Who made World Editor? A monkey sitting on his banana bench?!

2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

It is like that from Torque3D. It was even weirder if you enabled azimuthOverride in the ToD object (which was fixed in recently)
    Fixing is not trivial, and will probably break any level mod out here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. B3_Burner

B3_Burner
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Yes I noticed that you recently fixed "Azimuth Override" specs (which was throwing off TOD by an additional 0.25 units, as compared to non-AzOver).
    0.00 ='ed sunrise
    0.25 ='ed noon
    0.50 ='ed sunset
    0.75 ='ed midnight

It was confusing as heck. I'm honestly not going to miss that.
    I wish you could implement accurate sun path by latitude/longitude, date and time-- thereby allowing for seasonal variation, and accurate sunrise and sunset times. But I'm sure that's a whole mess that would take forever and a day to complete. I'm just happy that Azimuth and Non-Azimuth Override are finally on the same page... as to what starts the day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice