WIP Tail of the Dragon / Deal's Gap 1.0.1

The original route of 11~12 miles with 318 curves from TN/NC USA now in Beamng!

1. ThatCarGuyDownTheStreet

ThatCarGuyDownTheStreet
    Expand Collapse

I was just hoping you could remove alot of the trees that are out in the open away from the road, because they are kinda useless and rape my computer. I an turn my settings to lowest, and then I get a decent 30-40 fps, but then it looks like I'm playing minecraft.

2. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

There's a low detail patch, on the forums here. You can add it to the \levels\dealsgap\ folder of the archive that contains my map.
    If you do it right you'll overwrite just one file.

Or... do THIS (which is same thing patch does!)

With the game in a window, not full screen PRESS F11 key once.
    You'll have to wait a few seconds, and the editor interface will load.
    Press F1 key to make sure you're in object editor mode within the editor.
    Now on the scene tree window on the right, go and type in LEVELINFO into the search bar in the right-side top side of the box.
    One little blue icon should be below this. That's THELEVELINFO.
    A field is there called FARVIEWPLANE or FARVIEWDISTANCE, it's 'far view' something, that's the furthest in meters your video card has to render, anything past that, is dis-regarded. This is the distance, in meters, from you or the camera, that you can see.
    So if you really want to run this map nice, type 400 in for an amount here. You should see the view field reduce significantly (but not if you're in places of the road surrounded by trees). Normally it's like 1300~1600 or so, which gives you a mile or mile and a half, but not everyone can always see that far anyways. 400 meters is just over 1000 feet. You could probably get away with 300 meters if you wanted.
    So then you can save it and it should remain this way when you next load the map. You can then exit out with f11 again, and hit alt+enter to full-screen your game, and go back to playing it.

Try not to touch anything else, if it doesn't work or you make a mistake just remember CTRL+Z is undo feature in editor.

Here's the patch you can put it in yourself inside the tail of the dragon zip file, it goes in levels\dealsgap\ folder, it will over-write one file if you do it right.

https://www.beamng.com/attachments/mainlevel-json.321392/

• Like Like x 1
  3. ThatCarGuyDownTheStreet

ThatCarGuyDownTheStreet
    Expand Collapse

Thank you so much bro, this is greatly appreciated.

4. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

No problemo buddy.
    I can't make all my maps run great without some type of trade-off. I chose to make this one real, by request. I get 60fps here but not everyone has money to blow on fancy GPU's (I actually only buy one every 3~4 years, so don't feel bad!).

My Nevada Interstate map should run really well for you, or at-least 'passable/playable'.
    So-Cal Interstate will probably be much too slow, as it's view-distance is too far. That one needs an update, badly (but you can fix this map with the same editor tip).

The editor tip works in all maps that have THELEVELINFO object in them (they're supposed to, ethically), just try not to change things you're not sure of (otherwise the map might not load, or might run worse, or strange things can happen).

You can also add some fog with the fog thickness indicator... just keep in mind, the most fog you might encounter (unless you live by large bodies of water) is generally like 0.0001~0.001 or something rediculously small amount. Fog only serves to hide that far view plane cut-off, that's all, and that's how it's done in many other games (including such as the Stalker series, lots of N64 games, etc).

I can make a pretty map but it doesn't always run as pretty ... so there's a trade-off.

--Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  5. kec

kec
    Expand Collapse

I looked out of the window and this amount of fog is about equal to what I saw:
    screenshot_00291.png

6. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Well, I looked out my windows here in this room, and I couldn't see any fog, so I tried to turn it up, but it didn't work. Only the fog in the game changed. :(

Will let the developers know...

7. NewoFox

NewoFox
    Expand Collapse

Keep up the great work! I haven't found a rough patch yet in all of my attempts. So far I am averaging around 26 minutes transit time on the Custom Sport Bike -

8. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Glad you enjoyed it! It was so much fun testing that I knew it would go over pretty well but did not assume it would be this well loved... All's well that ends well anyways. I spent a *LOT* of time smoothing that route out. There's only *one* spot where it's not 100% perfect, it's a little bit of a bump but I left it because it's not really an issue at all in the grand scheme (and also, because I could never find it again once I noticed it, oh-noes!)...so it must not have been that bad.
    I will have to add this to the playlist of videos on the map on the resource page - thanks.

9. kingjbag

kingjbag
    Expand Collapse

I literally made an account just to comment on this map, I think you are definitely on to something here. I have been waiting for a map like this forever, keep up the good work mate, and thanks for all the time and effort that has been obviously put into this content :)

10. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, you've made my morning. While my maps are usually infested with freeways/highways etc, and roads made for flat-out pedal-to-the-metal driving, there's always roof for a horse of a different color. So grab up 200+ of those horses and enjoy the map as always. There will be more time put into this map in the future (and compatibility will be checked on future game-updates, I keep close contact with the moderators and developers to make sure I'm not missing something here), and I will surely be adding extra to the map, but for now, it must be 'tolerated' in it's current state with just the main route finished off nicely. I try to make fully realistic maps that can be enjoyed by almost anyone on modern gaming hardware, and also, this map was a special request by several people.

Turned out that it's a huuuuuge hit - suprising even me, quite a bit actually. Never-the-less I shouldn't have been so suprised in all honesty, because when I would finish up a mile or two while working on it, and went back to test it out, I found out it was seriously entertaining to say the least, and didn't want to stop testing/playing to go back to 'boring' mapping chore. Glad you enjoyed it to say the least, and stay tuned for my next Roane County update due out in a week or two, if you have an up-to-date PC to run it that is.

11. kingjbag

kingjbag
    Expand Collapse

I have hours in this one road already, it is challenging yet fun to drive fast on, and the road is smooth as butter, even with the lowest/stiffest car i have it just cruises along beautifully

Ill check out the Roane county one to see if my PC will run it, its only a laptop but its a specced out Alienware so should do ok i think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Why are the dam surroundings blocked off by barriers?
    I spawned at the dam, and, as the dam could not be crossed, drove forward. Suddenly, I discovered that the road is blocked with concrete barriers. It was so unexpected I barely avoided a crash.
    screenshot_00568.png
    I noticed a dirt road starting near the dam and decided to go there. I drove for quite a time, passed a turn but had to stop as the road led straight into the river.
    screenshot_00572.png
    I turned back and took the turn I already mentioned, but that road was also blocked.
    screenshot_00574.png
    I tried to drive past the barriers, and the terrain behind it was completely normal. I didn't fall through it or anything.
    Why is the dam area blocked off then? If it's not supposed to be driven on, then why is there a spawn point on it?
    P.S.: what is this?
    screenshot_00573.png

#112 Ytrewq, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  13. Sierra-3

Sierra-3
    Expand Collapse

You do realize this is a beta, right? Many areas aren't finished and look bad. They're blocked.....wait for the final.:)

14. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

As I said earlier, if the dam area is meant to be blocked off because it's not finished then why is a spawn point there?

15. Sierra-3

Sierra-3
    Expand Collapse

Because he wanted to have a spawn to test that area anyway? Again, unfinished, as-is.......I'm pretty sure "work in progress" means don't go crazy over details yet. It will all make sense in time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Road ends in a river where the edge of the terrain is so it doesn't have an unsightly hard-edge sticking up.
    Roads are barricaded to normally prevent the player from getting out (not totally, but discouraging) of the finished immersive simulation area of the main "Tail of The Dragon" route.
    There's a spawn-point at the dam because when I added the spawn points in, I added all the ones I needed for the map, regardless of the area's completion.
    The last picture is some of the road-guide left-over (it's partial map data so that I can lay the roads down in the right places).
    That area isn't done yet. The only part that's complete and truly meant to be enjoyed is the main route.
    I will revisit this map later to make more progress but wanted folks with low system ram amounts to be able to enjoy it regardless, so I released it with the main route finished as-is. More trees to complete the map would raise the RAM amount and lower the FPS.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BeamCarHomeTrade

BeamCarHomeTrade
    Expand Collapse

Damn Lagging 2 MUCH! ON HIGH END SYSTEM (16.5FPS)
    i7-3770k
    GA-Z77P-D3
    32GB DDR3 1866
    2TB+256GB
    Windows 10 Creators Update
    Gigabyte GTX 690 4GB
    What causes it,always playing beamngdrive on ultra,and now BAM

18. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

because your system isnt even close to high end you should lower your graphics settings

19. BeamCarHomeTrade

BeamCarHomeTrade
    Expand Collapse

Are you dumb? i7-3770k is a 2016 i5-6600k gtx 690 is 1050ti or powerfuler 256gb ssd? 2tb hdd 7400? NOT HIGH END DUDE RE-THINK YOU HAVE SAME CPU BUT MY GPU IS WAAAYYY MORE BETTER

20. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

no im not dumb and i ever said my pc is high end i just said try lowering graphics settings and the game runs better this map is super fps intensive

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice