1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Taking steps: please remind me why AMD and this game don't mix well

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck, Dec 28, 2018.

1. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Caption this as yet another PSU does Supernova:
    upload_2019-1-7_8-56-21.png

You in US right? Amazon did sell some other brand that was cheap but reliable, now if I just would remember what it was called, but Seasonic usually is okay, however their low end is not greatest either, but usually does not cause house fires or blow up all components, G series is bit of dog though, can turn noisy or fail so life might be short.

Sadly with PSUs there really is not too good models under certain price range.

I wonder how your wattage requirement might be, but here is some info from 430W models, you might need more wattage though:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3344134/xfx-430w-seasonic-eco-430w.html#19354323

2. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

We are currently looking for a 500-550, Seasonic is definitely on our list but I will keep in mind that their low end can konk out quickly.

UPDATE: Not sure which PCIe power connectors the Asus 1060 Phoenix Fan requires, another Asus 1060 seems to require one 6-pin and one 8-pin, the Seasonic Focus Plus 550 PSU I'm tentatively considering has the following connectors:

Power supply connectors

20+4-pin ATX 1 x

4+4-pin 12V 1 x

4-pin Floppy 1 x

15-pin S-ATA 6 x

6+2-pin PCI Express 2 x

This off what appears to be a Swiss site, so no idea if there's a US version with different connectors.

Beyond that it seems to suffer from in-cable capacitors and only comes with one PCIe chain; the test I read seemed to indicate that you could run two single-connector GPUs off it but would need to buy an extra PCIe chain, not sure how that translates to running one two-connector GPU especially when one of the GPU connectors is 6-pin and one is 8-pin. Other than that it threw down absurdly good test results except for efficiency, which was good to start but slipped a little as the unit started to get hot (with "hot" being a relative term as it apparently doesn't get very hot at all).

I've heard there is an 8-pin to 6-pin connector; would that work in this situation and will anything else require PCIe power connectors? Also I have found out that this 1060 is a single-fan model, though at this point I'm so tired of tail-chasing that I'd actually be willing to put up with the extra noise in exchange for the low cost, trusted brand, and not-having-to-look-for-another-one-ness.

#62 NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I can only urge you to forget single fan model, especially if it is radial fan, those are really really horrible and hence cheap.

Gigabyte GPUs have been somewhat ok still recently, so you might get such windforce model which is one of the better fan designs out there.

For 8pin connector, I think it should come with adapter? Usually there is what is included section, best to check of course.

4. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Looking at their site, it looks like it comes with one 8/6 pin PCIe connector with two connectors. From the diagram they both look like 8-pin (6+2 pin?) connectors. If an adapter will work, is it acceptable to plug both connectors of a two-connector PCIe cable into the same card?

I will see if I can find a dual-fan within budget but I may not be able to afford one.

UPDATE: cheapest dual-fan 1060-6 I can find is an MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GT OC, for about $20 more. Going to look up reviews but what do you think of MSI?

(Never mind, I fell for some rebate trollery, time to keep looking I guess. Zotac dual-fan is suddenly cheaper than the Asus single-fan I was looking at, heard Zotac is reputable, but this sounds too good to be true. Only a 1x8pin power connector; TechPowerUp has 1x6pin on the list but it is struck through. According to manufacturer website it comes with a dual 6-pin to 8-pin adapter.)

I can save about $30 by dropping down to a 450W power supply although its test results may not be quite as good as a 550. Given a Ryzen 2600X and a dual-fan 1060, will a 450W provide enough power? Some people have said that 430 is not enough for similar builds, but PCPartPicker estimates our power requirements at 239W, so I'm not sure what that's about. I'm also considering dropping down from an 80 Gold to an 80 Bronze PSU as other sources have said it will be good enough.

The case we're considering is a Cougar MX330 since the Deepcool Tesseract didn't have enough USB ports for my liking; what I need to know since we are now struggling to get the cost below $1,000 is how long this build would be able to survive for with no CPU cooler and the single garbage pre-installed case fan if I'm fanatical about keeping the intake area cleaned.

(This would probably be a lot easier if the crypto miners hadn't sent GPU prices soaring into outer space.)

MORE UPDATE: Now they're trying to get a 1440p monitor (apparently they can find one cheaper than a 1080p) however it is my understanding that 1. trying to run and record 1440p will tax both the GPU and CPU on a level I didn't plan for and that the build can't handle and 2. LCD monitors look like garbage when displaying at a non-native resolution assuming they even can. Is it possible to play at 1440p while recording at 1080p or is this whole thing a nonissue anyway?

#64 NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  5. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I would stick with 550W PSU.

With 1440p one will need 1070, so there goes savings with the monitor, better stick with 1080p one for budget build, imo.
    You can of course downscale recording, but then you definitely need to overclock CPU and 1070 as downscaling requires computing power too. At least in my opinion there is no point attempting to go higher resolution than 1080p with under 1000$ budget.
    Also monitors vary quite a bit, there are lot of different panel technologies that work differently, usually only gray to gray response time is reported, which tells nothing about how bad ghosting will be that tends to be really bad at lower cost models.
    Colors can be really terrible if looked even slightly from angle, but view angle is advertised as 170/180 degrees, only thing is everything is red from 60 degrees on or something like that.
    For example my 27" 1080p monitor did not cost much of anything compared to competition almost 10 years ago, but every part of screen is different colors unless I watch it directly head on, also this thing has serious ghosting and light bleed, there is no black color at all etc.
    That is what you get when going for cheapest monitor, there is a reason why those other monitors cost twice or more.

For example top half of screen has pink hue, while botton half has green hue as I look this now, both edges appear also more red, there is brighter blotch at top right area than rest of the screen. I have so been looking for new one and 149 euros for IPS is tempting for eye health and better usability for reading, but then it's even slower than my current, so not sure, dual monitor setup just is what I would really need to be able to bit more, so it might be that life of this monitor ends before I manage to get new one :p

MSI can bit hit or miss, better check, coil whine gets annoying for a while and all I know is that cheapest models tend to do that more likely as components that don't whine tend to cost more, so better check quality reviews on those.

6. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Already forgot about MSI; the low price I thought I'd found turned out to be a trolly rebate. Current best price I can find on a 1060 is a Zotac dual fan; I've heard Zotac is reputable but have had trouble finding reviews of this specific model, have you heard anything about that specific brand?

7. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Not really, I think that @SHOme1289 has one though?

This is what I stumbled upon though:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answe...c-gtx-1060-amp-6gb-pros-cons-temp-issues.html

8. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

yea the one I got used from ebay turned out to be a dead card...was well made, and if it worked I would have been very happy, i bought it for 160 used, and have since gotten my money back (I still have the card too lol).

Last night when I got home from work, i got a Gigabyte 1070 8gb WindForce in the mail and popped that in and WOW I am thrilled with the performance paired with my i5-6600K. The card I got yesterday cost me 239 including about 20 in shipping. Also used. It even came with the PCI pin protectors, all display port connector plugs, the original box and all manuals and anti static bag.

The MSI 1060 6gb that I have been using seems to have shit the bed, since 2 days ago when I installed it into my new motherboard, it would lock up on windows boot up (same shit as the Zotac card that I deemed to be shot). So, now that I know its not a MoBo issue, the new card is awesome...a little pissed though, because my intentions are to sell the 1060 to make up for the cost of the 1070. I will do some more fiddling with it. I also never even tested the Chinese "5gb" 1060. I wanted to take the GPU cooler off of it and see what chip is under the heat sink. I just need to get a small enough screw driver to dismantle it. All that said, I currently have (1) Dead Zotac, (1) *possibly* Dead MSI and (1) Scam Chinese GPU plus the 1070 I have now, as well as the MSI B150M Mortar Arctic MoBo laying around. I really wish I could have kept that white MoBo, it was perfect for my build, but now its more of a black and (some) white build.

On superposition benchmark, the new card BLOWS AWAY the 1060 even when that card was overclocked. I cant remember the score I got, but where the 1060 on 1080p HIGH settings (not maxed) it would be about 40fps average. Now im at over 60 on that bench. This card is at all stock settings. On the Italy map with the new card, im maxing out EVERYTHING including the dynamic reflections, updates, faces, resolution etc and its SOLID 60 FPS with like 3 or 4 pickups. It really runs super smooth now with nearly no micro stuttering, one of my biggest pet peeves with the 1060. I only play at 1080p so this card is more than enough. On Oblivion, I am clipping away at over 150 fps and on GTA4, solid 60 to 80 maxed out. Very happy with my current setup. Altogether, my build (factoring in all the buying/selling) has cost me a total of about 800 bucks. If you build my PC on PCpartpicker.com, its over 1500 new.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jaime Palmer

Jaime Palmer
    Expand Collapse

That's another option going for a used 1070 or even a 1080 from someone who has money enough to get the new RTX and is selling the GTX...
    I think graphic cards are like horsepower to our cars , who say no to some more power?

10. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

now that I am using a 1070 8gb, i see no reason to go any further, unless I splurge on that new 60 in. 4K UHD tv.

11. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Power usage goes up though, which might require beefier PSU in some cases, also case ventilation and costs to use full power of computer comes to play.

Between 1050Ti and 1080 amount of generated heat and power usage increases a huge amount, but jump from 1060 to 1080 is of course bit smaller.

And yeah, anything over 1070 in BeamNG tends to be bit of overkill, unless you like to do AWD doughnuts... :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

my PSU is totally overkill i feel, its the corsair rm850X White Modular PSU. The fan never turns on that thing lol

13. Jaime Palmer

Jaime Palmer
    Expand Collapse

Tomorrow we will know better the next AMD cpus.... Rumours point that will be very interesting, I should start saving up, next buy: Ryzen 5 3600x...
    upload_2019-1-8_18-27-3.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Alright, so, it's almost locked in, but I'm still on the fence about the GPU. The Windforce recommended above will take this whole thing over $1100 easily. So, considering that noise is pretty much not a consideration for me:

-How annoying is coil whine really (and is there a way to shut it up)?
    -If @fufsgfen's hatred of single-fan GPUs purely for noise reasons, or do they die sooner as well? If so, how much sooner?
    -If a GPU dies, can it fry other components or will the damage be limited to the GPU itself?

15. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

For some coil whine is like striking needle to brain, for some they just don't care.

Faster fan spins, shorter time it will last, usually, also if at some point there is going to be overclocking that will be limited by cooling. Also when that fan fails that is all cooling failed, with dual fan you still get cooling so you might get away with replacing the fan.

Life of components, well I hear that many people think GPU not to last even 4 years, while personally I can't remember any GPU failure from myself, but also I tend to choose models that will run cool without screaming. Considering my computer sees well over 8 hours daily use, I'm bit puzzled how soon other people's machines fail.

If GPU fails, it usually don't take anything with it, not sure what happens if power side fails with PSU that has less protection, I guess that would be greatest risk, but failed GPU just don't work too well or at all, that is at least what I saw at job and can't remember reading from net that GPU failure would of caused other damage.

16. Capkirk

Capkirk
    Expand Collapse

I've never really dealt with coil whine, but single fan GPUs aren't worth it. They usually sound like they're about to take off given any sort of load, and if it's a centrifugal fan, it'll also get clogged with dust super easy. Also, they might even risk overheating with stock clocks depending on your room temperature

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

3700X with all cores overclocked to 5Ghz, that might be really interesting if price is right and if it is stable at such overclock, Ryzen 9 is probably bit more expensive, but 3700X overclocked might have single core power to keep 60fps with so many cars that all those threads could run, maybe. Running 20 traffic cars would provide some life to town already :p

18. PriusRepellent

PriusRepellent
    Expand Collapse

I'm going right for the Ryzen 9 3850X if the rumors turn out to be true. It'd be like the time I went from a Pentium 4 to a Core i7 920 lol. Also, I'll be using an AMD video card too so I can call my next build a Team Red setup.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

I feel like coil whine is only noticeable on brand new cards, and goes away in relatively short time.
    And even if, coil whine usually happens when your GPU is pushing a ton of frames (ie. some game's main menu for example)

#79 Nadeox1, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  20. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

GPU cards tend to whine quite bit on lower price class, but it depends bit of how lucky one is. Not sure if it is as bad as with 8800GTS, cheap variant I had whined all it's life and loud fans were nothing compared that squealing, almost like a rat at handling of a cat, that makes ton of noise.

It really depends from luck though, sometimes you get better, sometimes worse, probability just goes up with cheaper brands.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice