1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Techdemo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lettice123, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Lettice123

Lettice123
    Expand Collapse

I have just recently downloaded BeamNG.drive Techdemo thinking it was a version for developers and it brings up the version in 2015 march what is the point?

2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Demonstrating how real world physics are awesome.

3. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Techdemo is, as the name suggest, a demonstration that put emphasis on a certain technology.
    Like a normal game demo, but on a more technical scope, in this case the physics.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Lettice123

Lettice123
    Expand Collapse

Okay Cause i was just like what is the point is is way past Feb 2015/ mistake on post

5. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

no, the techdemo is still a really old version of the game, and the full game has been vastly optimised since then.
    while we're on the topic, @Nadeox1 , are there any plans for an updated techdemo? one that would more accurately display how well the game can actually run?

6. Lettice123

Lettice123
    Expand Collapse

the game doesn't actually run any better it is realy slow

7. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Not for now, the Techdemo has done it's purpose for when it was made.

At a certain point it really depends on your hardware.
    https://wiki.beamng.com/Requirements
    If you are using something that is below the minimum requirements (or in any way really slow), you won't have luck with performance.

8. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

From the time that tech demo was released to the current state of the game, is VASTLY improved in terms of graphics, performance, features and content. If it runs slow, your CPU or graphics card probably is to blame. What are the stats of your computer?

9. LentrioxV2

LentrioxV2
    Expand Collapse

I have decent laptop specifications, but still get lag. I run BeamNG on low settings as well. On West Coast USA, I get 35-40 FPS.

Laptop Specifications:
    • Intel Core i5 7th Generation
    • GTX 1050
    • 8 GB of RAM
    • Windows 10

10. Lettice123

Lettice123
    Expand Collapse

For me West Coast USA is realy lagy

11. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

You are playing with too high graphics settings, your hardware is not capable of handling highest settings.

12. Zero

Zero
    Expand Collapse

he said he's using the lowest settings.

13. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

No he did not, he did say he is using low settings, also resolution comes to play, 1050Ti is pretty much 720p only at WCUSA because of high polycount etc. card just can't keep up with computations needed, so laptop with 1050 and probably quite weak CPU compared to desktop CPU, is also giving issues, especially if using shadows or heavier vehicles.

So shadows, reflections, ssao etc. off, textures can be normal, Anisotropic filtering can be 8x or something, pretty much everything else to low or lowest and resolution to 720p, then by using custom settings, setting those one by one level higher it is possible to find best compromise between graphical quality and performance.

Still, for WCUSA those specs are not that great and with laptop thermal throttling comes to play quite soon at full load.

Also if there is dust collected to cooling fins of laptop it degrades performance really fast and dust needs to be cleaned of usually every now and then, but WCUSA is one of the most demanding things you can game on, don't know many games where my system is pushed equally hard than with single bus at WCUSA, high graphics, reflections low and SSAO etc. on, BeamNG is heaviest game around on CPU and GPU in that sense.

Even with low settings there is some huffing and puffing at WCUSA, when for some other maps GPU fans rarely even spin on if I play at low.

Here is example, graphics are set to LOW and this is i7-6700 with gtx1080, notice how there is not 60fps and GPU load is 47%:
    upload_2018-10-22_11-15-38.png

GTX1060 can do 50% of what GTX1080 can do, around roughly there.

CPU is limiting factor there, I have lot of stuff running background, like browsers etc. and those make big impact when one is CPU limited. 8086K is bit better, but GB is taking forever to send MB back as had to RMA that so can't do comparision, but it is not that much better, it still is barely keeping up.

So low setting at JRI result only 30% GPU load. Between low and high, there is 8% difference in GPU load at JRI, but do note GPU clock runs higher too when graphics are set to high, so difference is bit higher as well as difference between WCUSA and JRI low:
    upload_2018-10-22_11-22-51.png low

upload_2018-10-22_11-23-21.png high

That means, that even if you can run some simpler maps like JRI which is one of the lightest map to run, you can't necessarily run more complex maps that are still WIP especially in regards of performance optimizing (that is WCUSA).

Setting lowest is then where even weaker GPU can handle the game, but it looks terrible.

Hod does it compare then, 53% GPU usage is what this shot of Just Cause 3 shows, generally that game is around 50% single thread usage and on all 8 threads, GPU is around 50, bit below bit more, graphics are maxed out, it really never drops a frame. Consider that WCUSA shot was 47% on LOW graphics, putting them on high will see much higher GPU usage. Again note that GPU clock is different again, it dynamically changes, it clocks only to same as WCUSA at low here, so those are maybe comparable percentages.
    upload_2018-10-22_11-33-20.png

ETS2 I have set to Ultra graphics, everything maxed out, it did drop to 50fps once near Goteborg at rain while it was raining, but other than that never drops below 60fps, GPU load can go as high as near 90% as highest, but usually between 40-60%:
    upload_2018-10-22_11-43-35.png

So what about WCUSA when doing something other than LOW graphics, 48fps 57% GPU load:
    upload_2018-10-22_11-49-45.png Maximum quality without reflections

upload_2018-10-22_11-52-13.png With reflections on

GPU would do better, but CPU can't, if I would restart my system and kill all not needed process etc. I might be able to run it above 50fps without reflections. Even 8086k is not quite able to keep 60fps with reflections on and reflections are set to really low.

It just is so that BeamNG WCUSA is one of the hardest to run that I know of and laptop with gtx1050 (non Ti) is not up to it really, especially when paired with laptop variant of i5, one needs to run lowest without shadows and reduce resolution.

With 8086k I get higher GPU usage and framerates are about 60fps, bit below, but still it is CPU bottleneck, needs overclock to keep 60fps reliably with a bus and especially when UI is not hidden, that is lot of FPS.

So, I'm not saying it lightly that his hardware is not up to it, but in a future hopefully performance is improved regarding this graphics and single thread limiting aspect, maybe also then GPU usage will be bit less, but until then, turn shadows off, run 720p and set to lowest if nothing else helps.

Update: Here is Bananbench for system used for screenshots, you can see 1 car result is 40 which tells about how fast single core performance is and which for many is reason for low FPS when they can't quite understand why low FPS is happening (that is GPU utilization less than 100%.

#13 fufsgfen, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Zero

Zero
    Expand Collapse

ok, my typo for doing "lowest" instead of "low"
    However, low is still not the highest settings.

15. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

No, but at WCUSA there is not huge difference between high and low, it is actually oddly low difference, but enough adjusting and his fps should at least improve a little.

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice