1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Texture Question with file path vs no file path.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Artistterrymartin, Nov 23, 2021.

1. Artistterrymartin

Artistterrymartin
    Expand Collapse

For DAE's/track meshes. I been putting them in their own folder and writing a main.materials.json. Then sticking that folder in the levels art folder. Usually from testing it works and the game fills in the texture actual location as seen there on the right. But sometimes, sometimes I get an orange texture and what is normally filled out in the texture editor will have a path but no thumbnail. I think It was because there was already a duplicate texture in the arts main.materials.json that was including a location. As long as game has never seen the texture being presented. Sometimes it works fine but the thumbnail in the asset browser is orange (which I don't care about as long as it works. Think that is from the model having a CDAE in the levels temp folder)

I thought I read somewhere that all textures file location dependencies will be depreciated/removed at some point.

Thanks ! I would ask if I had not exhausted my 500 trial and errors :D

Attached Files:

• lava5.jpg
  2. thomatoes50

thomatoes50
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

you are right, relative filepath are not officially supported anymore since the move to json format because they don't work when using the json format.
    only the old CS format was able to work (still not recommended)

maybe in the log you will find that the game tried to correct those path.
    what is displayed in the material editor is correct, so you should force save that material to correct the main.materials.json

3. Artistterrymartin

Artistterrymartin
    Expand Collapse

Something like texture dds. not found in unknown. I found the particular problem I had was having another texture named same thing in the arts root folders main.materials.json that I created prior. Having my blender made track objects in their own folder in the art folder I make each of them their own materials.json. Works everytime, except for my duplicate.
    I do see those yellow lines all the time, hehe wandered about that. That makes perfect sense now, thanks again ! Will pass this along to my friends who get the occasional texture issues. Not mentioned here is mod textures. I just recently started not including the file path for them too. But see that If I edit that texture in World Editor by adding new materials to it, it will write a mod\unpacked\ on it. (when working in the unpacked folder for a mod that is)
    Seems like a type of temp folder C:\Users\Terry\AppData\Local\BeamNG.drive\0.23\vehicles\mod_in_this_example.dds. Thats created when editing a mods texture if working in the unpacked folder. I just copy that materials.json, overwrite my mods materials.json in unpacked and removed all the locations.
    Appreciate the answer !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice