1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

texture slash lighting issue?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by kennyloggins, Oct 6, 2015.

1. kennyloggins

kennyloggins
    Expand Collapse

2. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

It's called specular and it's not a bug, it's just normal shading.

One of the most recent updates made specular a lot uglier, now it's overdone and grainy. Although Torque3D's shading system is really ugly to begin with.

3. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

I've noticed this too. I think the latest update has changes to/addition of specular values on the vehicle textures.
    My personal opinion of it makes the cars occasionally look like they have a fine misting of oil all over them.

4. kennyloggins

kennyloggins
    Expand Collapse

deleted coment

#4 kennyloggins, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  5. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

I agree that it doesn't look exceptionally nice like this, but that attitude surely doesn't help us.

6. kennyloggins

kennyloggins
    Expand Collapse

i apologize to everyone i was saying that it was a mistake. it's not that this game has to be pretty
    it's not the style of this game has it's subtense that count's
    also by the way this game has changed alot since i started playing
    i have also grown used to seing grainy shadow's.
    i again apologize.

#6 kennyloggins, Oct 7, 2015
  7. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

First of all... this game isn't ugly it's easily somewhere in the middle.

The new shadows made high look like last versions medium so if you want grain-less shadows I'd say at least run medium or crank it to high it doesn't make a huge impact. [on a decent desktop GPU I'd say GTX760/960 or Higher/equivalent] would run high shadows [@ 1024] pretty decently.

2nd if you want to remove that ugly black blahh-ugh filter they have for under the car and in the engine bay n' stuff. Turn off "SSAO", it is very poorly implemented in Tourqe3D as of right now.

3rd Dynamic reflections... )= I hope one day they can improve on these but for now they serve to be far more beautiful than the lame cubemaps. however right now on any mod car it seems to be impossible to fix this but the reflections generally don't work properly and show unnatural angles, and stretch out when you aren't facing north.

also to vastly improve FPS lower mesh quality to "Low" there isn't much a difference just a small number of very distance trees may look poor but it does give a 10++ FPS boost on tough maps.

And if you have a high-end GPU you can edit the maps shadows to be twice the res.
    [1024 to 2048 res shadow map] - if this interests you just ask and I'll show you how to do this.

I've been playing since 1hr after release when I had the tech demo, due to purchase complication I didn't play my purchased version right away until about 5hrs after release. ohhh 2013 sept.....

But I do agree that the new spec maps are terrible. [please excuse the negative feedback but I'm sure the devs will get right on this in the next update]

(imported from here)

Ohh... the sunburst seats..

(imported from here)

(imported from here)

(imported from here)

As you can see here you can have pretty heavy shadows [however on this map 2048 bogs my GTX770 to the floor..]

These are determined in the map config not in the options so it is kind of hacky to change this but only takes a few seconds.. it shouldn't cause instability.

All shots captured with "High" shadow quality enabled.

Left shots are close ups Rights shots are when distance begins to reduce sharpness.
    2048 Shadows
    57ca7bfafb.jpg f8b7a38d21.jpg
    1024 Default
    7c46c5eea3.jpg dd9a5d588a.jpg
    512 Reduced [this is good for higher fps if you have a mid end GPU or CPU holding you back]
    59dfcf1797.jpg 507c3d5c10.jpg
    256 what is this the first game to have real-time shadows on maxxed settings?
    d07763223e.jpg d5c7eced0b.jpg
    128 ugly begins
    85be79fa27.jpg 36bfe9df3e.jpg

* One thing that bugs me is that it feels like the GUI still eats your FPS or their is still something in the overall interface that is lacking... idk what it is but my FPS between each version is all over the place.

I really want a new GPU mine is meh... it's not exactly stable either it crashes it's driver on BeamNG, CS:GO and Project CARS [even tho I don't play much Pcars] but never GTA V for some reason.
    And it's had major instability in the past, including artifacts.

5f3434974d.jpg 62b0c38bb6.jpg 3eb97a6d7b.jpg d1f1e2792d.jpg
    This happened the other day across numerous games and I had to reset the computer to fix my intoxicated GPU... it was in Beam, stress testing, GTA V, Videos, webpages, everything with any rendering involved. [all images shown from CS:GO]

Sorry for a monstrous post. [And mild off-topic-osity]
    Sorry to Beam servers for over abundance of images. 18 to be exact.

#7 KennyWah, Oct 7, 2015
  8. Zorin-Ind.

Zorin-Ind.
    Expand Collapse

That's nice of you, also I'm sorry for my unfriendly reply.

If I set mesh quality on lowest, some meshes disappear.. At Hirochi Racetrack, all the barriers are gone then (Still, they remain 'physically' there, it's like crashing into an unvisible wall). In Riverside Expressway, the supports of the guardrails are missing.
    Turning it back makes everything normal again.

9. clayton8or

clayton8or
    Expand Collapse

Low, not lowest. Same thing happened with the track in gridmap, when you set mesh quality to lowest it just disappears

10. Zorin-Ind.

Zorin-Ind.
    Expand Collapse

Ah, indeed. I think it's a bug, no?

11. clayton8or

clayton8or
    Expand Collapse

Yes, it certainly is.

12. kennyloggins

kennyloggins
    Expand Collapse

13. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

I said "low" not "lowest"

14. Zorin-Ind.

Zorin-Ind.
    Expand Collapse

clayton pointed that out as well..

Anyway, still a bug.

15. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

The new specular issues are bug with Torque3D that we will fix. When we made the specular highlights realistically sharp, it bloomed them past 100% bright for no particular reason. The specular maps were not changed. The values in the specular maps are reasonable, usually around 50% specular, so they shouldn't be pure white and grainy.

16. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the information update!

Hope things go well ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Sigh...

- - - Updated - - -

That is also exactly why I didn't say lowest.. because ever since around the time scenarios were released that has been a bug.

I don't see why you had to reinstate the obvious.

17. Zorin-Ind.

Zorin-Ind.
    Expand Collapse

I misread something, that's my bad. However, I pointed out another issue which I hadn't seen before.
    Let bygones be bygones :)

18. kennyloggins

kennyloggins
    Expand Collapse

thread is dead

NO MORE COMMENT'S PLEASE!!!!

let this thread die this next weekend

also no bumping if you stumble apon this don't comment

also sorry for the use of comic sans

#18 kennyloggins, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  19. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

Re: thread is dead

Explain to me why it is a sudden issue for people to speak out on this thread.

It's not a rage pit about a bug towards the devs exactly like some bug threads are unfortunately

#19 KennyWah, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  20. kennyloggins

kennyloggins
    Expand Collapse

Re: thread is dead

that is why i don't want post's on this forum anymore and people started getting butthurt because i said that the dev's messed up a little code.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice