Solved Textures Gone After Joining Objects

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by Chevy1980s, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Chevy1980s

Chevy1980s
    Expand Collapse

So, I have been working on several Burnout Paradise models, and the Carson Annihilator is my first model to use with true textures from the game. The first time I loaded my model with a working materials.cs, I got all my textures to the parts that I had properly named to in the .dae.

At the time, there were several parts that the moonhawk didn't have that I didn't attach, like extra cords (Blue in pic) and an engine braces. Now, it was about this time that I saw I had left off a small piece of chrome off right below the window on my two doors (These use a material named mirror, and not a texture from BP), so I joined them and loaded my car to find that the two dragons had vanished off the doors. I tried attaching it to the interior door panel, but those disappeared completely.

So I skipped this, and worked on adding those parts on the engine that were not on the moonhawk. What I did was separated parts of the brace and cording and joined them with near by parts. So for the brace, I split it about a quarter of the way and joined it with the fender, and the other longer half with the radiator support. For the extra blue cords, I joined the part running along side of the engine with the engine, and the part that extended that into the radiator cord so that it wont clip through the front clip in a crash. I also joined another blue cord that runs horizontally with the object "battery." When I loaded this in game, My screws had became a red square on the radiator support, it had lost its texture and became solid grey along with one of the braces on the left, And a dragon had disappeared on the left fender, but not the right.

I Didn't change my materials. cs from the original or the materials in blender through out the process, so I am really confused what is going on here. Help is greatly appreciated. Also, it seems that something black seems to stretch out/ explode when the models loads, but this is random, and happens in different spots if a forced reload like changing the .dae name is done or restarting the game. Also, clearing cache did not work, and the dragon really is suppose to be transparent and, but I like it with the mirror like effect.

Its probably best if I PM the files.

screenshot_00722.png
    screenshot_00724.png screenshot_00721.png
    Screenshot30.png Screenshot31.png Screenshot32.png Screenshot33.png
    Colors added to materials to help differentiate the textures in last image .dds
    The 2nd pic shows how the brace attached to the fender works.
    Basically, parts that I joined together after the 1st load lost there proper textures despite still being linked to them.

2. EcoNadder77

EcoNadder77
    Expand Collapse

I've run into this problem myself. Check the UV map of the joined objects. I believe it gets scrambled whenever you join two objects that are already UV unwrapped.

3. Chevy1980s

Chevy1980s
    Expand Collapse

Alright, well, Ive never touched uv maps ever in my life, so ill research and stuff about it. Your probably right, so im going to change this to solved. Thanks very much!

4. EcoNadder77

EcoNadder77
    Expand Collapse

You are welcome. I think (I'm not positive) if the UV maps of the objects to be merged have different names, Blender won't try to merge the UV maps together when you join the objects.

5. Chevy1980s

Chevy1980s
    Expand Collapse

I tried this, and I think it should have worked. Problem is, my blender won't save the renames to the UV maps of this file. I had an issue when this mesh was in an .obj format where I couldn't save any renames to objects without the term "drawcall_####" or rotation, but I was able to rename it in 3d max (where this model originated from) or when I simply exported it as a .dae in blender and it worked. Now that the uvs won't rename, im not sure if this still has conflicting uvs because the names are the same in blender when I reload :(.

As is before save in blender (still have this open luckily): All parts that were joined together had unique uvs names
    Screenshot47.png Screenshot50.png
    After save in blender, showing the names aren't saving and are the same on certain parts still :confused:
    Screenshot48.png Screenshot49.png
    screenshot_00726.png

6. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Possibly use a different format, you may avoid this issue, with Collada. Weird naming issues with linked files like textures can be the cause of using a conflicting or not properly supported format between programs (where one program imports it improperly or another program doesn't export it properly). I don't necessarily mean just 3d max or OBJ, this is with many programs, including different versions of said program(s). Try experimenting with different formats but keep a backup.
    There may be settings for this inside the exporting (and the importing, if applicable) program!

7. Chevy1980s

Chevy1980s
    Expand Collapse

It currently is a collada / .dae. Ill try to export to some other formats, but if all goes wrong, I have like 3 backups plus this open in blender.

8. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Yes, it looks beautiful, please whatever you do don't lose that work, it's a work of art and it will be well-loved here!
    There's other plugin's available on the web for blender, and possibly 3d max stuff to from what I gather.
    Doesn't hurt to look around!

Also, I read above, when you joined the models together, into one 'file', there, it could have lost some of it's texture entries, or merged some improperly. If you had a texture of the same name coming from two different files like 'engine' in one file and 'engine' in another, one might end up engine_2 or engine1 or something like that, keep a look for that. Just trying to help - not the worlds best modeler, but it's well over 20 years using computers - they do stuff like that! "STUPID TECHNOLOGY!"

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chevy1980s

Chevy1980s
    Expand Collapse

Thanks so much for the appreciation. I have other models that probably wont cause this many issues that I can work on from BP.I just tied .fbx and it didn't fix it, :mad:.

10. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

I would turn to google on this one, I am sure you are far from the first person to hit this issue!
    I would also ask others, like the guy who did the 1980's oldsmobile (I am sure you know that mod!) about it if he might have discovered this 'bug' or other unpleasantries. Maybe @Occam's Razer might know, he does modeling with this game. @RedRoosterFarm may also know, he's making a wonderful minivan for us Beamng folks.
    There's an answer out there, someone's already hit this issue, just must type the right words to find it!

Just take your time and if you're too angry with it, just walk away or browse the web for a few minutes.
    Your work is too nice, with too much effort put into it, to let it go. I am sure someone on here knows the exact issue at hand, so just persevere and you shall be rewarded.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Chevy1980s

Chevy1980s
    Expand Collapse

Well, I have found that .Fbx actually works! I accidentally opened the wrong file thinking it was the .fbx one. Now to see if re-exporting as a dae will work (Although I know if I re-export as a .obj, my rotation and names get messed up again o_O). If that fails, I really hope googles got something b/c I think I tried to look up this before and I found absolutly nothing except the fact that 3ds max has two pivot points.
    --- Post updated ---
    Okay, I completely missed that all the part names reverted back to "Drawcall_####" , But the uv names are intact. Only problem is that it reverts again if I export to collada. Maybe I can edit the .fbx in max and rename again in blender. Uggghh :(
    --- Post updated ---
    Okay, figured the names were there in the .fbx (at the bottom of the list where I did't check :oops:). Imported that into max, then re-exported as a collada. Looked in blender and saw that it had uvs with names still (But with a weird extension, but still unique). Loaded into beamng and.... Nothing new :(
    Im temped to start working on anything else but this pretty pain lol
    Screenshot56.png Screenshot55.png
    --- Post updated ---
    If anyone wants to try anything with this... There is a folder called oldbackup witch contains 4 .dae files and an notepad explaining what all of the .daes are and what is wrong if it wasn't obvious. There is also the original rip and the .fbx file of the modified dae with uvmap names blender wouldn't save. Now that I look at it, I think the .dae in the main folder that will be loaded should work too unless the maps got merged somehow. I might just work on something else in the meanwhile, unless this happens again. I really don't want to touch uv maps ever, they look confusing.

There is no jbeam edits yet since I couldn't get the textures to work right.

Also use the config with the full front clip (v8 special), and add the turbocharger in the parts selector.

3:40 am, goodnight. May be busy tomorrow.
    Zip Deleted.

#11 Chevy1980s, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice