The Azores - Map Suggestion

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by General S'mores, May 27, 2018.

?

Would a Azores-based map be good?

1. Yes

66.7%
  2. No

5.6%
  3. Unsure

11.1%
  4. Probably

16.7%
  1. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

I have been wondering for a bit... why not make a map based on the Portuguese islands (part of Portugal, not Brazil)?

Details for the map (specifically Pico Island for example):
    • Mt. Pico. (the tallest mountain in Portugal)
    • Rural small towns. (plenty of them are coastal)
    • Plenty of dirt roads, and paved roads.
    • Lots of forested areas.
    • A small port town.
    • Buildings/homes with similar styles, except for others.
    • Agricultural areas, mostly associated with farming.
    • Small local airport.
    If this could be done, thanks for bringing along the idea! Also, it can be only one island, though that's what I think will do for now.

#1 General S'mores, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Xelerate

Xelerate
    Expand Collapse

While I like it, I think we should wait for Italy, as it will probably be a lot like that.

3. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Not sure if I would say at any circumstances that the Azores would be a lot like Italy TBH.

The only noticeable similarities are the tropical environment, and that's really it.

#3 General S'mores, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Here's a general idea of Pico Island in images:

5. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Looks bit like Italy (pic below is from Italy):
    upload_2018-5-28_13-26-24.png

Maybe bit less steep coastline, but Italy might have other coasts with less steepness too?

6. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Then again, Italy is a more populated and varietal country, as you can see different styles on those Italian buildings, while the Azores often look alike to each other except for a few buildings.

7. Xelerate

Xelerate
    Expand Collapse

Which is not good for the Azores as a map in BeamNG, as after a while you would get pretty bored of the same old houses. In Italy, you get tons of different houses, thus making it less boring.

8. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

But the idea is that the islands are pretty cheap to live in, therefore there's not as much variety as in other countries. Also, ECA also has similar houses, yet nobody complained about that.

9. Xelerate

Xelerate
    Expand Collapse

That's because ECA was the first real real city, and they didn't have any other models. Plus, does anybody play on ECA or am I the only one who doesn't?

10. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

I do play on that map occasionally. But the thing is.... The Azores isn't like the Bahamas or Bermuda, because most houses and buildings didn't really change a whole lot since they were built, though not all buildings will look the same, rather just share the same style (just like ECA, where most buildings shared the same design except for the church).

11. Xelerate

Xelerate
    Expand Collapse

I feel that it would be a great mod if anyone is interested in making it one and I would play it, but with Italy coming it should quench our thirst for new maps. If there was a new map to come it would be nice to have an official offroading map, or some sort of mud pit, something we don't really get.

12. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

The Azores probably could fulfill that, especially that they do have dirt roads on the islands, like Pico Island as mentioned before.

13. Xelerate

Xelerate
    Expand Collapse

Yes, but the more city like area isn't needed for that, because of Italy. I'm thinking more like maps from, like, Spintires ish

14. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

But again, the Italy map would differ city-wise, especially that Italy has more advancements, and is more expensive to live there or to stay around for a trip than in the Azores.
    Also, remember that not all of the Azores is the same in style. Look at Ponta Delgada for example:

15. Xelerate

Xelerate
    Expand Collapse

That would probably be wayyyy too much work for BeamNG right now. Completely new textures, new building models, heck, new cars that even fit with that style so it makes since and we aren't driving Hoppers around Portugal.

16. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

It doesn't have to be a official map by the way. Also, it's not impossible to have vehicles outside of Portugal in the Azores, like in this image:

17. Xelerate

Xelerate
    Expand Collapse

As I mentioned before, as a mod it would be cool. But I just mean why have a Portugal map with absolutely 0 Portugal cars in the game?

18. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Maps mods don't always need a car themed after it. See B.I.H.S Crash Hall for example, where there's not really a car theme for it.

19. Xelerate

Xelerate
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, because it's a place for crashing all types of cars. If you want to be seriously immersed, you don't drive an SBR4 where there probably are 0 SBR4s.

20. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Then again, you can drive literally any car (all that work to be specific) on any map, no matter the theme.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice