The bus has highlighted the need for a very small game wise but a hugely necessary part of driving

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Hati, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

Proper mirrors.

So I can actually see what I'm reversing into.

Rigs of Rods got it years ago

we need mirrors.

• Agree Agree x 8
  2. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

You mean PiP mirrors that change reflection based on where you are looking from? i think that's very hard to make tho.

3. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Those work in a different way.

Dynamic Reflections basically use that. It has 6 cameras that creates a cubemap, but renders thing on a very basic level.
    If you check closer, you'd see for example that vehicle appear all chromy. That's because that renderer uses only the very first texture layer for performance reasons (and on vehicles, that one corresponds to a full chromy layer).

If you want 1:1 mirrors, you need to render things fully, which is particularly expensive in terms of performance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

An option to do that would not hurt tho. Placing 2 cameras just for the mirrors and making them high quality (but at let's say low graphics) it would make driving much easier and more fun for the users with better PCs and it would not really hurt anyone else if it was just and option.

5. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

Not a problem for my system if I go by what Eurotruck Simulator has managed to do. The main problem besides the low resolution of the reflections is that the car doesn't reflect it's own image. You can't see your own car in the mirror. thing is, when driving I use my own car's body as a fixed point of reference for doing things like parellel parking or reversing through tight spots, I presume you do too.

it's something I miss in driving simulators when I don't have it. and while the cubemap reflections are nice, they aren't fully featured mirrors. I don't mind the low resolution, but self reflection in particular is what I miss. The ones in Rigs of Rods are better than what we have currently, and I'm prepared to beg for something like that.:)

--- Post updated ---
    you talk as if pioneering a softbody physics engine was easy, and some already established techniques for basic mirror rendering in games is beyond them. I'm sure it's still a technical challenge but it's well within the capabilities of this development team. I mean, look at the amazing shit they've already produced.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Ghost187

Ghost187
    Expand Collapse

deleted... changed my mind

7. Flap Flap Donkey

Flap Flap Donkey
    Expand Collapse

I'd like to second this request. It has always been breaking the immersion a little bit, but not seeing the curb makes everything harder.
    I don't think anyone wants to have perfect mirrors. Having mirrors are that seem somewhat realistic, maybe even with the inside rear view mirror mirroring the rear headrests, could be enough.
    Word.

8. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

See, i would agree with you but your train of thought is "they did something hard, ergo they have to be able to make things almost as hard to improve the game".

Just because they pioneered soft body physics doesn't mean they can make the game look like frostbite 2 and have multiplayer and just cause 3-sized maps. Besides, like nadeox said, it would require a total rework of every single texture.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. KiloHotel

KiloHotel
    Expand Collapse

I would be very happy with RoR quality mirrors, even if just as a placeholder. Would be nice to be able to stay in first person for every maneuver.

10. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

We need to differentiate between viewing position and 'realistic'.

1)
    Rendering cameras is expensive I said (and dynamic reflection system, using 6 cameras, is an example for that. More cameras > more expensive.
    RoR does not have issue with that, because it uses a different type of renderer (does not make sure of multi-layer materials in its default materials)
    We do have multi-layer materials, and each layer is a render-pass. More render-passes, less performance.
    Reflections does not render all the layers, but only the very first one of all objects, to avoid more performance hogging. That makes some objects look weird, in particular other vehicles (see post above, being dynamic reflections, it's often not noticeable)

2)
    Dynamic Reflections takes the vehicle origin as starting point, excluding the vehicle from the view (is obvious, if the origin of the vehicle is in the middle of it)

So if you got a camera, that only renders the very first layer, you'd see your own vehicle's side in the mirror, looking all chromy.
    Rendering all the layers, is probably not healthy for performance either.

Hope it's clear the kind of downsides you got.
    Performance issues, or vehicle looking weird.

11. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Still, some of the people playing this game have extremely good PCs (sadly not me) and they could most likely handle the mirrors just fine. I assume from the way you're explaining that it wouldn't require a whole lot of work, so it might be worth giving us an option of seeing our own vehicle in the mirrors even if it would be all chrome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Flap Flap Donkey

Flap Flap Donkey
    Expand Collapse

Not too sure. I have a GTX 1070 and it reaches its limits; BeamNG is a pretty taxing game in that regard. Then again, nearly everything is maxed out at 2560x1440px with ~27fps-64, depending on the map, so it's fairly acceptable. I would trade a lot for better mirrors, though.
    Still, I agree that having the choice to enable useful mirrors and living with the consequences is desirable.
    Why not both? :p
    Again, would it not be possible to have the option to select a given amount of layers to render to fine-tune it for the available system?

Why is that, though? Even for the side mirrors? Is it really that expensive to have multiple cameras when no reflections are rendered?

I'd be willing to live with these downsides to a certain extent, to be honest. But at the moment, I cannot choose. Of course, mirrors like in Euro Truck Simulator would be really exciting, but I understand you don't deem this technically feasible. But is there really no middleground between the awkwardly janked mirrors we have now and a perfect mirror?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice