The follies of the forest brush editor...

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by bob.blunderton, Oct 10, 2017.

1. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

So, I am editing with the forest brush, spawning, placing, etc.

IF YOU MISS THE LITTLE ICON, TO MOVE THE ITEM, BY EVEN A PIXEL, the *ENTIRE* scene gets selected.
    Your work since you last saved is *GONE* and the editor is locked up.

Please, someone either make those handles a little more sensitive, or give me an option to disable the click-drag select while I've already got something selected (it doesn't work worth beans anyways, it either selects everything or just locks the computer up).

More time wasted. This happens at-least once daily.

There's also a nice big fat nasty crash every time I first open the forest editor and try to place something, I must move things around first, select brush size of 1 and then 1%, and pray it doesn't crash else spend 1~2 mins loading the map again.

I swear I lose 5~10% of my time just dealing with the two crashes listed above, and the log doesn't say a thing about it, not a SINGLE thing. I've searched them until I got tired of searching.

The second crash has to do with it trying to open or manipulate the forest brush to add something and the fact that it's closing in on a 40mb forest index is causing it to crash.

Help?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

Bump

I think I am getting similar crashes when using forest brushes. I am trying to place a large amount of trees, and with certain brushes, the entire game locks up, and attempts to crash my PC, or closes itself out with an error regarding RAM.

Is this what you're experiencing? Or was that something different. Its getting really annoying now and I am in need of a solution, because this wasn't happening before today.

3. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

You likely ran out of RAM, especially with Windows 10 home, or unmodified PRO (you can adjust it), you can end up with Windows closing it for you.
    0xFFFFFFFF from Beamng means your PC exceeded it's allocated RAM amount, and only adding virtual memory (pagefile, set it to 1.5 to 2x your system RAM amount) will help, or upgrading the amount of system RAM which costs money unlike the former option.
    Windows PRO you can set to not close your program. Windows 8.1 and 7 don't generally close applications for you.
    If it crashes when a certain brush is picked but not others, make sure your have the correct models in the correct directory, specified in the art\forest\manageditemdata.cs. Make sure the textures for the models are also there, missing too many can cause the game to crash but usually one or two won't spell the end of things.
    Attempting to place a 'missing' model, can cause an error to pop up, hitting CTRL+Z to undo causes a crash-to-desktop situation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice