The future of cars?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Glitchy, Oct 4, 2017.

1. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Until you get the one guy... who you know WILL... end up hacking the network and telling a bunch of cars to do something that they are not supposed to do and causing complete chaos.

• Agree Agree x 7
  2. DD-Indeed

DD-Indeed
    Expand Collapse

Or one human driver in the bunch causes the whole system going nuts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Thatll be me on my old moped then

4. Snikle

Snikle
    Expand Collapse

Self driving cars may be convenient, only hipsters and people with no appreciation for cars would buy them. On the road with regular people, the self-driving cars might get confused and crash, and said hipsters and appreciation-less people would sue, because that's what they do. Plus, whenever people design "Self drivin' cars of the FUTURE!" they tend to look like blobs on wheels. Then again, the cars of the 50's didn't look like streamlined art deco things like people thought of as "the future" in the 30s, the cars of the 70s didn't look like the personal spaceships that people thought of as "the future" in the 50s, and the cars of today don't look like the curved wedges that people thought of as "the future" in the early 90s. Maybe we'll get lucky and the future will turn out different than the autonomous amorphous blobs with wheels that we regrettably think of as "the future" now.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. PurePlatinum

PurePlatinum
    Expand Collapse

I prophecize the return of shiny trim, only it'll be for solar energy. I predict this will be called "Solarchrome" and it'll make sun-powered cars look good.

The only things I'd miss about petrol-based engines would be the sound and the heat. The petrol part itself is the sucky bit, but I agree that sales of petrol cars from licensed dealerships should stop sometime in the future.

European companies are not doing it because they despise Trump, they're doing it because the science says hydrocarbons are toxic and they contribute to the greenhouse effect when burned. It's a shame that petrol cars have to be banned outright though.

Also, wedges don't look that good at all. If they were the future of cars, I'd rather move to the city, take the bus, and wear a hood over my head lest I look out the window at the traffic.

also, I agree with the general consensus about self driving cars, but they're also incredibly dangerous because GPS spoofers can make them run off the road.

6. H/\Z/\RDOUS

H/\Z/\RDOUS
    Expand Collapse

I think it's revolting that anyone's even CONSIDERED a driverless car. Cars were made to be driven, not to drive themselves. cars do not need to be "smart" and have "all the bells and whistles and sh*t". They need to be practical, fun, and useful. There's no fun to be having in a car you can't drive yourself. Then there's practicality. A lot more could go wrong in a car that drives itself, rather than one controlled by a human. And I don't know why people think it would be good to just be able to "call" a self-driving car to ride in. WORK, GET MONEY, AND BUY YOUR OWN F*CKING CAR YOU LAZY ASSHOLES!!!

well, you have to think. intersections will still be dangerous, whether your car drives itself or not. and they can still crash, so they will still end up blocking roads, and there is also the looming possibility of technological error, which in a lot of cases can be more fatal than human error, as it can be more difficult to fix, as it is controlled by a computer rather than a human.

I hope you dont mind if i quote this, because you have an amazing point. if we keep traveling down this path of "technological simplicity" we will eventually end up like the people from WALL-E. if you haven't seen that movie, here's a picture of the captain of the ship.

and here comes the subject of electric cars. "So, you want to save the environment by buying a cheap little chevy bolt? Ok, good for you. Just don't complain when my gas-powered supra beats your little p*ssy car's ass!" its just stupid. who would want to drive around in a SILENT CAR?! You'd just hear more road noise! Although a gasoline engine doesnt have as much torque, at the moment they can still make alot more power. Also, there are a lot more gas pumps in the world than your petty little "charging stations". its just more convenient. and if i havent already mentioned this, the technology used for self-driving cars has to be heavy. It will certainly slow the car down! And if governments are really trying to ban all gasoline cars, I guess im gonna be an outlaw because that's just retarded. noone is ever going to stop me from driving my 1996 geo metro (which happens to be my dream car btw) I think this technology has come before its time, and we should just hold it off until all the sane people die, so the lazy idiots can have what they want and I don't have to see it. anyway, I think I've gone on long enough. Let driverless cars and emissions bans die! cheers!

#26 H/\Z/\RDOUS, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. DD-Indeed

DD-Indeed
    Expand Collapse

Another thing about the self driving cars is actually the psychological backstep from responsible car ownership. Because when you drive the car yourself, it requires a lot of thinking and responsibility behind the wheel in order to even drive the car properly and have the licence to drive one. I can only imagine, what will happen, when people with no responsibility buy cars and just do all sorts of things with it, like, piss off trespassers. Or even worse, certain groups of people will use those for their benefits of doing bad things with them, since they don't need to worry about the driving.

And imagine the lawsuits after that, oh my goodness. Which one is to blame, the car manufacturer or the owner, if the car is used as the vehicle to do bad things ? Self driving car should stop you from doing certain things, but I highly doubt, that it will be possible ever. Lots of unanswered questions, yet, goverments keep pushing for those like if they're the correct future for humanity.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. H/\Z/\RDOUS

H/\Z/\RDOUS
    Expand Collapse

"Indeed" my friend :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Snikle

Snikle
    Expand Collapse

One can hope, but car designers nowadays couldn't make it look good. Shiny trim would not mix well with modern cars the way it did with older cars. Although maybe if such a thing is invented, it would be an incentive to move back to the blockier car shapes of the last century to make the Solarchrome look good. After all, it it is solar, they wouldn't need to worry about making it aerodynamic for the sake of fuel efficiency, which is the reason modern cars look so shit. Something like this could back up what I said earlier about visions are the future never turning out the way people expect them to. We expect all electric blobs to rule the roads in 20 years, but maybe we'll get re-imaginings of 50s cars with the chrome trim providing all the power needed.

Probably just wishful thinking though.

10. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

You know a virus like thing is deffinantly a possibility. Viruses are passing antiviruses all the time, and Tesla recently sent out that update for the people in the hurricane so that they'd get more range. While it's not a virus, it shows that the cars are calling out to some sort of server or something. I'd like to think that that (thanks English) wouldn't happen, but we all know there're people out there who would.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DD-Indeed

DD-Indeed
    Expand Collapse

Next hit product in Amazon: tin foil hat for cars!

Edit: Only 99.95 $ (999.5 $ for Tesla models, not a spelling error)

12. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Ive said to a friend of mine if they ever ban old gasoline cars ill probably buy them all and build them so they can run on methanol or something so that i dont have to use electric cars the same thing i would do with normal cars when self driving ones are the only ones allowed to be newly driven

13. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

that's not a reason why they are the future, that's just an argument for their existence. you gotta provide a whole encompassing worldview on the benefits and how this will be enforced, my bro. I'll top stephan's high score before letting myself be driven by a robot

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

The #1 threat for the modern world is terrorism and self-driving cars will offer them limitless possibilities. Some cars can already be hacked and remotely controlled, and this is only the beginning. With driverless cars, terrorists won't need to risk their life and freedom. They will just be sitting in a chair behind a computer while somewhere, a remotely controlled truck will be speeding into a crowd of people. You will have to fear everyone because you won't know whose car is being hacked by a terrorist. Could it be that old businessman in his 7-series or a soccer mom in her minivan? Is it a teenager girl who is happily texting in her Smart or a semi driver playing World of Tanks in his autonomous Tesla truck? You won't know...until their car comes for your life.
    You can run, but you can't hide.

• Agree Agree x 11
  15. Copunit12

Copunit12
    Expand Collapse

idk why people are so mad at me for answering the question of "The future of cars?". I personally don't like the future of the automotive industry but its what governments and many people want. I rather all future cars look like 1950's economy cars to 2008's super cars with the ability to turn off traction control. My 2015 Jeep Wrangler won't allow me to fully turn it off unless I'm in 4 wheel drive so no drifting for me just power sliding.

16. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I just thought about this today. When I was thinking about the rise of self driving cars, the movie Total Recall came to my mind. The movie itself takes place in 2084, all the cars in the movie doesn't fly, and there was a self driving taxi called the Johnny Cab. I think that Total Recall made a more accurate prediction about the future of automobiles than what others movies like Back to the Future 2 did. I can now easily see self driving taxis as a fully operational business by 2084, if not earlier, once the technology required gets off the ground. And I do believe that most likely cars won't be flying anytime soon, if at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

I actually dont see it feasable that cars drive themselves in our lifetime as there is to much to go wrong also what happens when the car looses conection to the server or whatever? We probably have to fix alot of other stuff before self driving cars even become a option. Also what happens if someone like me does something a computer cant understand? How will it react? Also how will it react to road surfaces and all?

• Like Like x 1
  18. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

Hmm, you got me there. I'm no expert with that subject, so here's my guesses.
    Maybe a manual control system for the passengers could be an option in case the car either loses connection to its server or its systems goes haywire. You could also maybe have some type of backup/emergency server that the car can connect to in case of any instances where a connection to a main server is lost.

As for how it would react to road surfaces and anything else, the car could have built in cameras to allow it to see, and the computer in the car could have access to gigabytes worth of input, maybe even more, to ensure that the car knows what it's doing, where it's going, and how it should react to different scenarios.

These are definitely issues right now, but where will said issues be decades from now. I know the advancement of technology never ceases to amaze me, so it won't come to me as a surprise if a way to make it work happens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. DD-Indeed

DD-Indeed
    Expand Collapse

This in the end will be the biggest killer of these. Because computer can underestimate or do a false calculation based on the road surface changes. Since computer need to calculate everything all the time, it can go horribly wrong, when surface changes dramatically. And also, they cannot evade every single possible accident.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. nosraenyr kcirtap kcin

nosraenyr kcirtap kcin
    Expand Collapse

Also what if you live in a rural area where connection might be a problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice