Released The Nostalgia II ( Remake of the Super Stunt Track from Race Drivin' )

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by mike22, Apr 18, 2014.

1. mike22

mike22
    Expand Collapse

For people who have driven this track, it's amazing. I even did the long jump instead of the short one. It's uploading to YouTube now..

- - - Updated - - -

Here it is.. as always, Driving Force GT set to 900 degrees. This track basically requires a wheel because I never hit the wheel lock while doing this run.

#21 mike22, May 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  2. deject3d

deject3d
    Expand Collapse

very smooth run, mike :)

decided to give a faster run a shot, here's my first time actually making it through the jumps. wait for youtube to finish processing the video, tho.

it would be very hard to take those jumps as smooth as you did without a lot of practice or having a speedometer up !

#22 deject3d, May 4, 2014
  3. mike22

mike22
    Expand Collapse

Fans of Race Drivin' should like what I did for version 1.0. I was able to make a timer ( displayed in the OSD ) that ticks down in real time by the second. Checkpoints add time. And get this, it's tied to the fuel gauge, so when you run out of time, you run out of gas just like Race Drivin'. I also was able to add a lap counter to the display.

Notice the correlation of the fuel gauge with the timer.. This won't dazzle most people, but to people who remember Race Drivin', this is quite an awesome accomplishment.

(imported from here)

(imported from here)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, you can coast through checkpoints after your time runs out and it'll give you more time just like Race Drivin'.

Another addition that'll be in version 1.0 is a basic text MPH display that updates every second.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a glimpse into what I've been working on:

(imported from here)

The MPH, TIME LEFT, and SCORE update every second.

Checkpoints add time to TIME LEFT. The amount of gas in your car is directly linked to how much time you have left. If you have 30 seconds left, your drivetrain.fuel = 30, etc., so it's reflected in your gas tank gauge too. When you have no time left, you're out of gas and G A M E O V E R appears where the time left was. Pressing F7 will spawn you back at the original spawn point, but you have to press SHIFT-T to reset the LUA system. If you don't, you'll be at the spawn point with no gas.

The score is based on MPH. Every second, the speed you're going is multiplied by 5 and added to itself. So, you're rewarded for driving faster.

Everything is set up with multiple laps in mind. When you pass through the finish gate, you'll get a little more time than you would for a normal checkpoint. The more laps you do without running out of gas ( time ), the higher your score will be.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a video demonstrating the OSD and gameplay changes for The Nostalgia II. The random crashing was a time waster to show you what happens when time runs out. I was out of gas.

I also did a simple edit to the car, so the drivetrain never breaks.

#23 mike22, May 6, 2014
  4. Nish01

Nish01
    Expand Collapse

amazing how you made it work like that. great work bud

5. james_uk

james_uk
    Expand Collapse

Love the extra authenticity this'll provide. :cool: If you're able to hook up sound effects for events like passing checkpoints, finishlines, cow collisions ect I'll be more than happy to provide raw/clean samples if it's possible to do within the limitations of BeamNGs current system. Will you be cascading this system back to the previous Nostalgia track?

6. mike22

mike22
    Expand Collapse

I have the sound effects in mind, but I need to figure out how to play a sound file with Lua code. When I get around to it, yea, I'll use this system on The Nostalgia track. I'll be using some variation of this system for Coastal Road too. It's a good competitive system.

7. mike22

mike22
    Expand Collapse

There are HUGE gameplay changes in version 1.0. Even if you don't know what Race Drivin' is, try this. I'm not over-hyping this. It's a lot of fun with the gameplay changes I made. Use the car included.

- - - Updated - - -

The online leaderboard is now ready to accept score / time submissions for this track.

8. mike22

mike22
    Expand Collapse

I don't know why, but my barn started looking like this now:

(imported from here)

The trim is supposed to be white. Is it white for you guys ?

9. mike22

mike22
    Expand Collapse

This track seems to be extremely niche. Nobody has submitted their best time or best score for it to the online leaderboard. It's somewhat of a shame because the Lua work I did on this track is intricate.

Maybe this track isn't fun for people who only use keyboard controls ? When I try driving it with a keyboard, it's frustrating.

10. martywolfman

martywolfman
    Expand Collapse

The second check point doesn't work for me, I get no extra time when I pass it, so I am unable to complete the course :(

11. mike22

mike22
    Expand Collapse

I'm sorry, but it's impossible for one checkpoint to not work. There is one instance where a checkpoint won't work and that's when your vehicle loses a part. For some reason, the game doesn't trigger a BeamNG trigger when your car has lost a piece.

12. martywolfman

martywolfman
    Expand Collapse

Then I guess I must be doing something impossible, I'm pretty sure I haven't lost parts on some of my attempts (at least 6 times this happened to me, before I gave up trying)

13. ORIGIN4LFluffy

ORIGIN4LFluffy
    Expand Collapse

Uber impossible challenge: Complete this track with the D-series with Full size logging trailer. No resets (unless you start from the beginning).

14. deject3d

deject3d
    Expand Collapse

sorry for not seeing your post earlier: it seems that very few people play this game to actually drive cars around a track, as evidenced by your leaderboard and general lack of involvement revolving your tracks with timers. i'm really interested in observing how other people play this game... i mean, you put the car on the road and then that is it. that is the extent of the gameplay. how are people not all over the forums posting their videos, laptimes, and competing with each other? there is nothing else to do. there is a built in torque3d world editor to screw around with... but still.

i myself am waiting for the race update to continue playing or else i would love to drive your track and continue posting laptimes/videos. if things go well with the update i'd be happy to start collaborating on racing-oriented content with you.

15. mike22

mike22
    Expand Collapse

I agree. It doesn't bother me because ultimately, I made these tracks for my own enjoyment. I shared them with the community for anyone interested, but I have wondered why most people aren't attracted to timed laps. This track is especially creative with the Lua code. I won't be modest here. I worked my ass off to program the gameplay for this track.

They probably just crash cars to crash 'em, but when I play the game, I see the realistic damage as just an awesome side effect of a great driving simulator.

Cool, I'd be willing to have some help creating this stuff. It's a lot of work for one guy to make a track in Blender, shape and detail the terrain in Torque, and write Lau code for the timers, etc. I haven't done any work with BeamNG lately. I've probably forgotten how to make a track in Blender ( hm )..

I'm waiting for the race update as well because I don't wanna do anymore work that will probably not work correctly on the new version of the game.

On a side note, one of my tracks has exceeded my expectations of how much interest it would get: Corkscrew Mountain.

16. Nish01

Nish01
    Expand Collapse

I think there are alot of reasons people arent so attracted to lap times and time trials/hot lapping, its because there isn't a whole lot in terms of actual race cars. No ffb is a big one as well (at least for me). When the race update comes out i think it will get pretty competitive.

But yeah thanks for your hard work, you made some great maps and made an awesome timer/leaderboard system.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice