WIP Beta released The Tennessee USA Roane County 0.71 Beta Discussion/Suggestion/feedback Thread 19.3.1

HUGE 175sq/mi, 193+ miles of roadway, US40 highway, 3 Towns, Signs, Working Traffic Lights, Trees

1. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Edit, I think there is an issue with the spawns, will try to figure it out later. Not super-duper life & death priority, but they do work for me here, from the same file y'all have downloaded. Might be something conflicting not sure yet.

If someone has an issue with all the spawns dumping you at the red brick town-houses in Harriman (default!), let me know and help me out by sending your log file in via private message to me, after you load the map and reproduce the error (click on any spawn but the default).
    Default log file location is Mydocuments\beamng.drive\beamng.log.
    Thanks!

#741 bob.blunderton, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  2. SergentFido

SergentFido
    Expand Collapse

This map is awesome, it was already but with the new details it gets a lot more life.

I especially enjoy the long sections where we can try top speed of cars :p he he.

screenshot_02152.jpg screenshot_02154.jpg screenshot_02155.jpg

These are some screenshots i did because being back to the game after 2 weeks of work on my professional stuff, i post it for fun but please don't ask here for the progress on this car, better use the other topic thanks.
    It's a tribute to this awesome map.

#742 SergentFido, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Remington

Remington
    Expand Collapse

Just out 100% pure curiosity, is there a possibility of getting a low vegetation version of this? If not what's another good way of boosting fps? (I'm running a dual core i5 with integrated graphics and 56mb of vram :p)

4. ET_Gamer

ET_Gamer
    Expand Collapse

The map will lag quite bad I'm afraid...
    I'll guess you will get 10-25 fps
    I've got a quad core i7 7700k with 32gb ram and gtx1080 with 8gb of Vram and I get 30-50 fps in some cases...

5. Remington

Remington
    Expand Collapse

figures as much, but i'll give it a go and see how the superpotato handles it.

6. ET_Gamer

ET_Gamer
    Expand Collapse

Go for it! just turn the graphics down to minimum and then turn them up until the frames start to drop.

7. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Shadows off to help cpu slowness (if you have any, highly doubtful you're likely graphics bottlenecked there), Reflections off, lowest detail textures, water will look hideous like water in QUAKE for MS-DOS (but cleaner)... run in 720p if possible.
    Map uses 4gb of texture memory on highest details @ 1080p, just a heads up. You can increase the video graphics memory in the bios, but it will subtract it from the system memory.

There's some bugs here I am aware of now, The car wash sign is showing up where it should not be on a strip mall (my mistake on one of the signs, doesn't show up while editing), and the spawn-points aren't working as they should for some dumb reason. If anyone can shed light on the spawn point issue let me know, they did work for me though, without fail.

Awesome review by @davidinark as always, thanks Dave! For a good time, do check out his channel, hope I'm just like Dave when I reach his age and still enjoying simulations/games and generally having a good time.

32 minutes and just scratched the surface.

8. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

So, back to the work day for me - on the map that is... A new mile+ or such of roads for Kingston, between my frequent trips to the latrine anyways (yes I have stock in the Toilet Tissue companies...).
    http://media-cdn.beamng.com/2HAUrPJcXh2NYNN1/screenshot_00462.jpg
    Ignore the imprecision in the water showing through the landscape from far away/high up. That's the game for you.
    So over the next few days, you'll get to see this progress into a housing development, Commercial frontage along the main route (that's Kentucky Street interchange there, and obviously Kentucky street which has the newer (dark!) pavement here (that exists in the released version).
    So Kingston will be getting further along, along with some more progress in Rockwood. Considering monthly releases here.

If anyone could send a log if their spawn points don't work, please do so! Send it to me in private message, if you will, as an attachment. Thank-you for your cooperation ahead of time.

2 more fast food places will go in, some misc businesses, and lots of homes, and one apartment complex (yes we need another).

9. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm
    Expand Collapse

Love the update Bob! Keep up the good work!
    screenshot_00259.png

10. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Will do! Many Thanks buddy and thank-you for your signs. I think I finally fixed the 'big signs' bug, it was an issue with a duped entry in the forest file (one had entry for size, other did not) from the 0.8~0.9 conversion which is why it was that way in the April version too - but not the previous one from last fall (in layman's terms - nothing you did was bad or caused it, it's all between myself and the game).
    When the game says 'okay I've converted the forest brushes.cs over to the new forest.brushes type, you can delete the old brushes.cs', it's best if the mapper does what he is told and doesn't say 'oh i'll get to it when I get to it' like I do, heh. :)

Oh the follies of it all! Murphy's law definitely applies to the Beamng world editor.

So while I have my roads that I've just shown in the Kingston screenshot all leveled, banked, etc, smoothed enough to drive on (well, going to test that now of-course), let me know if there's any particular stores, set-ups, types of homes (mostly single-family homes here, commerce is confined to the main road - Kentucky Street - and the service-road that meets up with the end of the on/off-ramps there), things you'd like to see.
    There is one 'apartment complex' I mentioned, which, I looked at the listings for (and ended up looking at homes for like AN HOUR... OOOH SHINY ... A DOG FLEW BY... *does his best ADHD impression* ), they're actually single-floor 90s-built homes, about 4 homes to a block, Looks like HOA territory. So I will make sure if there's any reference to a HOA here, it's a complete mockery of one, because I positively DESPISE these idiots. IF I was president, or ever become, they'd be banished IMMEDIATELY and it would be made a FELONY or FEDERAL crime to run or operate a Home-Owners Association. They only cause fighting and they decrease, NOT increase property values - because no one wants to live in one.
    Yes, I looked at listings for a while to see how the home's exterior decorations are. There was a point to it.
    So yes, as above, if there's anything you want to see here, let me know and I'll make sure to do my best to fit it in!

#750 bob.blunderton, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Remington

Remington
    Expand Collapse

In other news, without shadows on lowest settings I can get 25-32 fps. Gets kinda jumpy when rendering the heavier areas.

12. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Yes on the LOWEST setting, the grass vegetation won't render, so it should be a big boost. Luckily the stuff in Kingston is fairly spread out and includes places I can bury visibility blockers in the future (this is why you see lots of walls of bushes in Rockwood as of late, visibility blocking bushes will in the future hide render-blockers that will discard anything behind them when you cannot see it, to speed rendering).
    I did test out LOWEST setting, oh my, what blurry, hideous disaster it was, but it was PLAYABLE, all 300FPS + of it. So certainly, for those with even 10% the graphics power of this machine, could have it playable.
    Technically, anyone with the Recommended specifications for Beamng.drive (on the Steam store page for this game/sim), would easily be able to run this on medium, and anyone who meets the bare-minimum while still having 8gb of RAM can run this on 'low' to 'medium'. If it gets to the point where people meeting the Recommended specs can't run this, then I need to optimize.
    FORUM FIGHTING = 1 hour in the cactus-lined angry rabid porcupine pit. (Not necessarily pointing at you, but anyone, really, not that I care too much)

13. davidinark

davidinark
    Expand Collapse

Thank you so much! Life is way too freaking short not to have a good time! Ignore all the haters that bash you for for your age, how you look, what you eat, what you play, what you do. Haters are less than nothing, that's why they're negative. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Sierra-3

Sierra-3
    Expand Collapse

That's two!

Capture.png

15. titantls

titantls
    Expand Collapse

What a great map. Awesome update. Detail is off the charts and in some cases hilarious! 20171005173455_1.jpg 20171005173522_1.jpg 20171005173614_1.jpg

16. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Awesome, glad you like the serious amounts of effort I've been putting into this map. I got serious with this. When I started this, it was but a dream, and I had no clue how I'd ever accomplish what's already been done, much less, how I'd ever finish it. Surely I could spend another *YEAR* on it... or more.
    This thing's bigger than game-worlds in GTA V, GTA IV, Fallout 4's main area (Boston), it's huge, I mean monstrous. I made this map originally as a proof-of-concept that open-world *COULD* tentatively be realized in this car simulation, and that it is *NOT* limited to boring little shoe-box panoramas (not knocking anyone's map, totally not, but I've been modding for games, making 'maps/levels/worlds' since DOOM, in ms-dos in 1994~1995 when the internet got started). I saw this game and bought it with the intention of... hey it has an editor, supports modding even in an early stage, "let's check it out for a 20-spot" ($).
    I couldn't have foreseen that it was the game it is, or even was then. I fired up the editor, to make a 'heat-induced buckle in the pavement' in the middle of a Desert Highway map, as road-surface-buckling was in the news back then, to launch cars off of.

It just clicked. This was 'too easy'.
    So after fiddling with some maps I grabbed my copy of Black Hills, and started messing about, adding some bridges, a *bunch* of my own textures (making them as I went), and made some concepts up, and messaged it's author, @Ouerbacker , who more than obliged my work and didn't mind a bit. Nevada Interstate was born, a few months later, to open arms. This map was created about a month or two after I started mapping, to see 'just how big' I could have a map in this game. This big. It was originally about 6% (this map) larger, but I knocked that measely 6% off to fit it in the 8gb of RAM footprint otherwise it was pushing 9.5~10.0 gb. This map is a 94:100 ratio of map-to-real-thing, so 10 miles in real-life would be 9.4 miles in this map. Close enough!

Never thought I'd get this far.​

But I have, and I am still working on it - and will be for months and months, taking breaks periodically to keep my mind fresh and work on other projects. I have a city project I am going to start once I get the towns mostly in, in this map.
    Work in Kingston.... what's this?

More will follow later, more pictures, not so much text. Chalk up another two miles of roads, or so, for the map :)

MOAR PICTURES!!!

Last shots show where it is in relation to the east-end of the map/ US 40 highway, and Kentucky Street (Kingston, where the 1st Burger World that was built, is). I added a non-official trail (between the east end of US 40 highway and the back of the development) to increase the 'flow' of the map and help people 'find' this otherwise rather hidden development. There's 34 units here, all individual entry, over half of them have garages, and 12 of them have garages you can enter / park inside as is featured in some spots in the map already.
    The trail also increases the chance that the AI will end up back there, or cut through, during chases.
    The tall rock bank is sloped in a manner that cars flying down the narrow road (on the high side) and hitting those rocks will go airborne, launched over/into the housing development. Should help you car crash guys.
    Oh, forgot, the Kingston water tower is in! Yay!

HOLE IN ONE!!! That jump ROCKS! Because it's ROCKS!

--One block down another dozen+ to go, heh. They won't take THIS long though.

#756 bob.blunderton, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  17. titantls

titantls
    Expand Collapse

I'm very happy that you continued to work on this map. I can tell that you put an extensive amount of time and effort to it. I have been with this game for about 3~4 ish years now and love he game to death. Having great modders like you just add that little bit more to it. Glad you kept working on it. Once again great map thanks for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, it means something. I am doing this, because I can, and because I like doing it, and because, finally there is a computer program that can that's not that entirely complicated to pick up and learn. It's surely time consuming, but honestly, I don't mind. I have a lot of free time with my rubbish spine, so it's not a waste by any means.

Working on filling some of the space between the main road (Kentucky Street), and the block of homes I put in yesterday. I used to do BLOCKS at a time per night, but if I get 2~3 done in one night I am happy. They're better quality than if they were done like 8 blocks a night of homes. Surely it takes a lot of time and there's often very monotonous moments but the end result is 65535% worth it!
    In real-world Kingston, those 49~50 homes (Cape-Cod style homes), really do all look very similar.

This picture is of an area not yet complete, it's about half-finished here, so pardon the mess or otherwise roughness in appearance.
    All the homes in the background were put in today, including the one the car is at, there's 50 more homes. I have all the driveways in and lots graded properly (as much as the terrain will allow anyways), just need to do the foliage/grass and misc bits like props and signs (stop signs are in). Not going to do the main commercial strip until this part is done.
    Started and finished 4 additional homes, that don't look like the other 49. 54 homes in today, most of them are cape-cod style homes, 'cookie-cutter' post-war American housing of the 1950's to 1960's. 49 are pretty much just boxes & driveways/walk-ways, the other 5 (total) new homes I made tonight are variations. Depite 49 of the homes being similar size, they don't obviously repeat endlessly.
    There's now 5 more filler-walls, which I can use to make variations with on the existing homes, or make single-wide trailers/sheds/ businesses out of. Trailers, not the truck/lorry kind, the live-in-it not-by-choice kind. What's Tennessee without some trailer parks or typical infestation of single-wide trailers along rural routes? That aside, a teaser of what's more to come!

A little closer to completion, though a different block of homes, on the previous single screen shot above.

Took some bogus fields out of the spawn points (class), and upped the RADIUS of them, so maybe that will fix the spawn-point bugs next go-round (the spawner script I know for a fact hates extra info, even if the editor itself added it). Whoever gets the spawn point bug in this version, let me know, and send me a log in private message so I can figure out what's causing it, as I can't reproduce it even when just using this zipped like everyone else.

#758 bob.blunderton, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  19. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Having completed a majority of the housing development I 'teased' yesterday, I have completed it tonight. Lots of screenshots now.
    A gas station was also completed, and the main-route through town was corrected and the shoulders widened.
    Houses along the main route (they've been there for 10 months or so) will be removed in favor of more-accurate commerce areas.

Overview. Most open space along main corridor is for Commerce/Business. There's about a block of one road for houses yet, between the two subdivisions (housing development phases), it gets 'slightly more modern' homes.

The stuff I did several days ago is in the back of the screenshot against the highway (east terminus of the highway, US40, for this map).
    Again, yesterday I added some new model re-skins into the game. There shall be more in the future, much more, I just have to make the textures for it first. I have to do the textures/models for the MOBILE HOMES when I get a chance. You can't do an accurate representation of *ANY* southern state without MOBILE HOMES.
    If anyone can make some 1970s~present single-wide and double-wide mobile homes, let me know! They have to have basic collisions. Credit will be given!
    --That is all!

• Like Like x 1
  20. pease

pease
    Expand Collapse

I downloaded the latest update and got even more of the bright orange NO MATERIAL surfaces all over the place. I cleared texture cache before I ran. What did I do wrong?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice