the worst biking mistake you made

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by crashitall, Oct 1, 2018.

1. RyvyLo

RyvyLo
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the advice ! I will try my best to apply it for sure, if I ever get motivated to ride in the cold now (for some reason, most of my rides where I was wondering if I'll ever make it back to my home where in the cold...)

We sure aren't built the same way, -5C is the coldest I can endure while still being somewhat confortable, my confort zone is more between 12C-23C ! I don't really care about the overheating, as long as I have enough water to keep hydrated.

• Like Like x 1
  2. crashitall

crashitall
    Expand Collapse

how many crashes have you gotten into so far probably not many since your a dev
    --- Post updated ---
    wonder how many times people have that ride in the snow and just got from look at me driftmaster to oh no a tree
    --- Post updated ---
    and the site messed up on me wonderful day lol

3. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

Managed to hit myself in the trachea with my handlebars

4. RyvyLo

RyvyLo
    Expand Collapse

I don't really see how not crashing much and being a dev would be related together ?
    Appart from that, yes, I didn't had a lot of crashes. I tend to have a cautious approach to biking, and what's the point of risking crashing and injuring myself out of the sport ?
    The worst injury I had was a spraining wrist. I was going down a street on a icy road, and had the choice between hard braking and falling or blasting through an intersection with no visibility.I decided to brake, slide on the ice and fall instead of a potential important crash with a car in the intersection. Others notable crashes are when I headbutted a tree while mountain biking (always wear your helmet, I think it saved me a bad injury here !), or when I was a moron on my road bike, I was following a car closely in a traffic jam without my hands on my brakes... Ended up right in the rear of the car when it suddenly braked. But got lucky, I didn't get any injury and there wasn't even a scrape on the car.

5. crashitall

crashitall
    Expand Collapse

what i thought is that if you were a dev your inside more not getting out much so the less you get out the less crashes but of course im dumb but whatever

6. Mr.Blueboy

Mr.Blueboy
    Expand Collapse

Well, I crashed into a large tree while going down a short ( 2 meters) hill on a very narrow bike trail. I crashed into the left side of my handlebars, and of course, I flew off.
    I have a multicolored metalic blue 1997 Shwinn Frontier 21 spd, with 26 inch Alex rims, on the rims are Kenda mountian tires. I am an all year cyclist. I've ridden anything from nice rainy weather to a foot of water, two feet of snow, and lot's of ice on a 55mph road. I'll try to post an image of my bike later. :)

Attached Files:

• upload_2018-10-3_18-44-17.jpeg
  7. rottenfitzy

rottenfitzy
    Expand Collapse

My neighbor has a driveway that is extremely steep, and has many ruts in it. I decided it was a good idea (this was a few years ago, mind, when I was younger and had no real sense of danger) to go up it until I stop and then turn around.
    Needless to say, I cut myself up rather badly.

I also tried going around a relatively sharp (20 foot diameter) 180 degree bend at 25 mph. The bike went out from under me, and I was limping everywhere for a week.

I’ve crashed so many times I can barely remember how I have crashed. But you learn how to stand on the outside pedal in order to increase corner speed. That was a revelation that has saved me from crashing as much.

8. ferrettank

ferrettank
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

I am a dev and I crash my bike about once every two weeks :p, I used to race mountain bikes semi pro. Anyways, one of my craziest wrecks:

I was following an ex Pro Yeti factory down hill racer, we were doing a blue trail to warm up, so we were going fast, probably 35-40 mph on this strait section. I was goofing around, barely tapped a tree. It spun me 180 degrees, I went off the bike backwards into a rock pile, I gave my self a concussion and got a gnarly scar. The camel back saved my spine luckily. I almost had to get surgery for a torn tendon too. It was an intense experience.

Another time I went into an S section wayyyy to fast, bike washed out on me, hit the berm so hard, the hard part of the knee pad almost ripped off. On the second bounce I cut up my knee super hard. Of course my bike flew about 3 stories down the mountain and it was sooo painful dragging the thing back up. :S.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

I hit a bus that did not indicate while driving my road(sport bike). Hit it with my helmet, bounced back on the sidewalk.
    result: indicator shape in my helmet, 3 bruised ribs behind my lungs(so high up) and a big bruise on my ass...
    I think that was the worst one. Which is a miracle since I used to cycle 3000km or something per year to go to school. For 6 years :).

• Like Like x 1
  10. Spede3

Spede3
    Expand Collapse

I was a bike noob at the time but I used to like to go full throttle in a field until the wheel went off the trail one time and into the plowed dirt. The foot peg landed on my ankle, somehow never broke it but had a nasty fracture. I hopped around on one foot for the rest of the summer.

11. LentrioxV2

LentrioxV2
    Expand Collapse

I used my first road bike about 6 months ago. At that time, I'd grown a custom to the plain old boring mountain bike. I'd finally felt that I can go fast and decided to the bike to it's limits. I was wearing jeans, and they got caught in the gears, and I somehow came to a stop from 35+ MPH with no accident. The fatalities at the end of this was completely shredded jeans, and ripped shoes. I know own my own road bike, which is a 2007 Specialized Allez Expert Double, and I use to ride my uncle's OCR 1. My bike needs some work, needs some cages, and needs replaced grip tape which I have.

Attached Files:

• 20180924_194046.jpg
    • 20180909_172559.jpg
    #31 LentrioxV2, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  12. crashitall

crashitall
    Expand Collapse

normally never easy to ride a bike these days especially when the roads are pretty much pothole city forcing you to use more concentration then probably need be trying not to get that flat. even when i wear jeans pretty much i try tucking then up but its uncomfortable so i just had to live with my jeans down but then when i do so the first thing that comes to mind before i get on my bike is will i damage anything if my pants did actually get stuck in my gears.
    its almost like when you go to unclip your foot from the pedals to stop but failing and deciding well ill hit the floor in front of dozens of people.
    i even forgot safety in the back of my bike too even with the little lights on my wheels i still got a ticket for not having proper lights on my bike
    --- Post updated ---
    you think biking is safe and your parents say oh go ride your bike it will be a great experience.
    yeah a great experience for falling on your face when you make the corner wrong or if someone pulls out and decides to hit your bike.
    mostly biking seems more dangerous than actually trying to drive a car cause yes a car you have protection on a bike well......
    the only protection you have is the hospital after the accident cause then your not getting into bike accidents

13. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

I've had to carry a racing bike over half a mile home after a pothole blew the front inner tube.
    Thank god it's light

14. crashitall

crashitall
    Expand Collapse

you think biking is safe and your parents say oh go ride your bike it will be a great experience.
    yeah a great experience for falling on your face when you make the corner wrong or if someone pulls out and decides to hit your bike.
    mostly biking seems more dangerous than actually trying to drive a car cause yes a car you have protection on a bike well

it happens but if you went 30mph intentionally into the pothole to test your suspension then you have issues
    i tried that before and lets just say the rim wasnt happy and pinched my inner tube flush with the tire

15. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

No i have solid forks and because Northern Ireland has bad roads this one pothole snuck up one me and blew out the tire

16. crashitall

crashitall
    Expand Collapse

how fast were you going to flatten your tire?

17. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

5-10 mph

18. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Racing bike tires go flat from almost sight of a pebble, they have come quite far from the time of early Tour de France, when it was mostly gravel roads.

With MTB one thing that contributes for flats is if you ride rigid and seated, always have butt off the saddle on rough parts and with bicycle you have to constantly read the road surface, predict what others are doing as 90% or so seem to be completely blind while on traffic.

Like one mother person that reversed into front of my car at grocery store parking lot, she was looking straight at me, still bumped and claimed she did not see, there are that kind of drivers out there, their mind flies someplace complete else, so don't presume anyone will avoid you, actually don't presume anything, just estimate all possible locations others can achieve in next second or two, know where you will be at that time and plan ahead so that they will have no chance to get you.

Being in traffic is very much a mind game, where you have to think a lot ahead to avoid getting hid by those rather blind drivers.

Always leave enough space and surprise them from behind, what drivers are excepting is that you go near front of them, so they can bump you, it is after all game of tag or sometimes feels like it, so you have to outsmart them if you can't outrun them :D :D :D

So same is at trails too, always you have to think ahead, know how you are taking a corner before you are in the corner etc.

At 30MPH you should not really hit a pothole, it is plenty of speed to glide over the said pothole, without slowing down, if you hit anything at that speed, it will slow you down. So practice riding downhill without sitting in saddle, legs are your suspension and while bike moves under you up and down, you don't. If you look any mtb racing videos you can see that is how they descent and that is one key to be fast.

Also always look where you want to be, look that tree and you will end up hugging it, same with potholes and pretty much anything :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. crashitall

crashitall
    Expand Collapse

the one rock that kills all no matter if it gets scratched or not

20. Spiicy

Spiicy
    Expand Collapse

So basically a new mountain biking trail opened up, and I wanted to be the first to try it. So I went with my bike and went on it. About half way though there was a section where there was no side, and there was a 10 foot drop. Being me and not paying enough attention and not realizing there was a quick turn I went straight off of the drop. I landed sideways and got all cut up, but my bike was ok :p

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice