1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Thermal Simulation Feedback

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Diamondback, Mar 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

oil gets quite hot on cars after revving them alot, but say for example the V6 pessima, you go around 100mph in 5th gear the oil temp creeps up, shouldnt this be cooled by the rather cool engine as the coolant temp is bang on 90C, i dont really know much about oil cooling systems but the oil should probably be cool in 100mph 4k-5krpm driving, if you were at a standstill at that rpm then i would expect the oil to get hot.

2. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Michael is quite right here. My A4's oil stays under about 60-70°c for normal driving even uphill on very hot days. The temperature will only ever creep up when I'm driving it very hard for prolonged periods, and even then, it will never exceed the coolant temperature which is a stable 90°c.

A4 employs an unusual oil-to-water cooling system though.

3. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Well my own car goes quite happily up to 120C oil temp even with moderate driving. 60-70C oil max is quite worrying, that's too cold for most oils...
    It really depends on the car and how the cooling system is set up, oil can easily get hotter than the coolant. :)

4. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Kind of an interesting discussion. The C6 Corvette I once borrowed showed temps of... I think it was either 180-200 F or 200-220 F while idling, lower in motion. My Sunbird, I think, can display temperatures between 100F and 260 F, but given its normal behavior, I'd consider anything over halfway (180 F) to be concerning (then again, I've never really thrashed it over a long distance, so I wouldn't really know if it holds steady at a higher temp or just melts down when beat on).

5. synsol

synsol
    Expand Collapse
    QA Lead
    BeamNG Team

That is absolutely right , depends of the engine itself (gas or diesel , na or turbo , oil cooling system , intercooling oil exchanger ...) this is why there are big differance between models concerning oil service interval.

6. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

I was thinking that too, but oil has never been an issue for it in my 5 years of ownership. I'm not exactly a meticulous owner either; manual specifies 15w-40 for my climate, but it's happy to take whatever oil I have laying around. Hell, I've been running plain water instead of coolant ever since the thermostat inlet hose exploded earlier this year. I'm bad, I know.

The 12v V6 is known to be bulletproof though, knock on wood.

Circling back to your point about your car comfortably hitting 120°c on oil temp, that's the maximum limit on the oil temp gauge on the A4, so I suppose there's plenty of margin for the vehicle team to play with since real cars vary so much.

7. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Also, watching a YBR video and is it just me or does the Sunburst do a pretty bad job of keeping itself cool?

8. FalloutNode

FalloutNode
    Expand Collapse

It's just you. The Sunburst in that video had tuning but a low performance radiator.

9. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

Don't forget that the oil is supporting the connecting rods which I am sure soak up plenty of heat from the pistons. Vtec equipped Honda engines have oil squirters that spray oil on the piston for that very reason along with helping reduce detonation. I've seen failures at the racetrack that I'm sure are from oiling problems. If you do not have an external oil cooler you may find that lap after lap, your coolant stays at 200f but your oil gets up to 300f. Regular oil is NOT viscous enough at this temp and will cause bearing failures.

10. clayton8or

clayton8or
    Expand Collapse

The sunbursts performance radiator doesnt seem to be enough for it when driving flatout with a stage 3 turbo, i dont know if the stage 3 turbo is designed to slowly murder the engine but it does so very well.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Revocide

Revocide
    Expand Collapse

Hi guys,

Have been messin around with the new thermals in BeamNG Drive. For a first attempt gotta say this is pretty darn cool. As many have said before I, some tweaks are in order to allow "spirited" driving of some of your sporty versions of the Beam Cars.

Driving the Bolide at sustained speed will not end well. Testing Vmax could prove terminal. I would understand if I were behind the virtual wheel of a 10 000 hp top fuel dragster going for an unlimited speed run. Those engines run at full power for a few seconds, sometimes that is a second or two too long.

The Wheelie monster D 15 will chew it's engine to bits within 2 minutes if you stick on some stock treads, enable the transfer box and then do 4 wheel burnouts. This an extreme vehicle, power creates alot of heat. This is just hilarious to drive and kill.

Spawn, Thrash, Kill, Repeat.

The smoke coming from where ever the exhaust ends is a pretty cool touch too. Use node grab to rip it from it's mounts and the engine bay gets a bit smoky. A side note, should the engine sound change without some of it's exhaust system?

Keep the changes coming Devs, looking good from here.

Revocide

12. Jorlman

Jorlman
    Expand Collapse

I don't know if this has been answered already, but I have one question about the new heating system:

Does the wind, or the air speed if you're going fast, have some impact in cooling the system? I mean, there's already a pretty rad wind and aerodynamic system in the game, but I don't know if there's any implementation of air cooling yet.

• Like Like x 1
  13. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

I have this question too. I've sent a car down a 2 mile stretch of road downhill with no throttle and the coolant temperature doesn't seem to drop at all.

14. crazikyle

crazikyle
    Expand Collapse

It does. Do a burnout in the barstow, overheat the coolant and see how long it takes to cool down while staying stationary. Then do another burnout, this time at the top of a hill, overheat the coolant, then finally go down the hill and the coolant will cool much faster than when you remained stationary.

15. sharonmaitino

sharonmaitino
    Expand Collapse

Some cars overheat too easily. Like the Bolide for example. The Bolide should go 3 minuets at 160 mph without overheating. Should it?

16. Termonator145

Termonator145
    Expand Collapse

i've noticed that if vehicles coolant temp has hit 130 and you let off the gas, the temperature doesn't come down. Not sure if this is supposed to happen, but even at speed, and slowing down, temps still rise. Noticed this in the bolide (and a few other base vehicles), where i can do about 230 km/h and have coolant at 130C, and stick it in neutral or completely let off the gas, and the temps for the block and cylinder wall still rise.

also, many modern cars also come with a set of fans behind the radiator, and correct me if i am wrong, but they do kick in if the coolant temp starts getting to dangerous levels. and also kick in when the vehicle is at idle as well to help with the coolant temps.

17. nobadesuuchan

nobadesuuchan
    Expand Collapse

I think the bottom out damage should be significantly less for solid axle cars, since the axle bottoms out before the chassis, but hey. what do i know. and also. absolutetly zero smoke on stationary revving, it happens in real life, and no smoke on idle, which is when smoke usually comes out.

#57 nobadesuuchan, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  18. LizzardGamingYT

LizzardGamingYT
    Expand Collapse

Is there a way to disable the thermal simulation?

19. NistingurA

NistingurA
    Expand Collapse

No

20. Twitch Axis

Twitch Axis
    Expand Collapse

I found that the smoke disappears after a while... right after a terrible crash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice