Things that annoy you in racing games

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck, Mar 2, 2018.

1. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

It was watching Gran Turismo Sport videos that brought this up, but there is no GT Sport thread here so I had to make a new thread. The one thing that is really ticking me off right now is what I like to call "orphan cars" - cars with no real competition in-game that just sort of... sit there, not fitting in. I'm not even talking about things like the occasional luxury sedan in a racing game; even if it's the only one in its game, it is at least still a passenger car and can compete on reasonably equal terms with the smaller, lighter cars given enough power. I'm talking about where you have an entire car list full of sports cars, supercars, sport sedans, hot hatches, and so on, and then... truck. Not a sport truck like the Ford Lightning or Chevy Silverado SS, not even a normal truck, a Ford Raptor. In a game based almost entirely around racing on pavement, in which rallying seems to be about as marginalized as is usual in a Gran Turismo game, at least if the videos posted to YouTube are to be believed. It could have served as a springboard to bring trophy truck racing to Gran Turismo, or otherwise finally give dirt racing the attention it deserves in GT, but instead it just sits there as an orphan car with no racing versions and no direct competition in-game. Same with the 1960s Le Mans cars that just get stuffed into Group X with the VGTs, rather than in a proper "classic 5000cc prototype" class. Then they keep adding more road cars without any attendant Group 4/3/B versions, and not that it's technically a bad thing as I do hope to see these new, better cars and models in an eventual GT7 (which I hope they come up with quickly, now that they're about to nuke the GT6 servers despite the lack of a proper successor), but given that the game's tuning system has replaced actual engine upgrades with simple power & weight sliders, well, having a bunch of road cars operate under such a system seems wrong to me because I'm just that OCD. There's so much they could add to the sanctioned-racing side of the game - trophy trucks, a "Group A" class to fit in below the current "Group B", more classes to account for the variety of vehicles in the game that don't really fit anywhere, but instead I get the distinct impression that all the proper racing vehicles and classes that are ever going to be in the game were there at release, and they're just going to keep adding more orphan cars and more road cars that will be subjected to a simplistic, incomplete tuning system instead.

Joke cars fall under the same category. See: the Isetta and Supervan in Forza and the Microbus in GT. Not only are they orphans with few or no similar cars around, they're also so slow or so goofy that they can't be taken seriously as a class of themselves either. Some can be saved with tuning depending on the game, but some, like the Isetta and Supervan, will always be inherently annoying even when I don't even have the game in question, just based on the possibility that I might buy it someday, and they're eating a car slot that could have been spent on something that was actually worth buying.

Beyond that, the only thing that really annoys me on this level is "permanently missable content" - pre-order DLC, "season pass" exclusives that you can only get if you have the season pass by a certain date, DLC getting pulled off the market, and so on, mainly because, due to my financial state, I'm often several years behind on getting new consoles and games. There are two cars I'll never be able to drive in NFS HP2010 because I didn't originally think I'd be interested in an NFS without customization. If I ever decide to "fill in the blanks" by getting a used X360 and the original Forza Horizon, well, between the pre-order BS, the time-sensitive season pass BS, and all the DLC getting pulled down anyway, I'm guessing that's about half the cars I'll never be able to drive without committing several federal felonies.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. welshtoast

welshtoast
    Expand Collapse

I am going to start with the obvious: Paid DLC. Especially Microsoft's DLC's. Paying 7 to 8 bucks for 7 cars is way too expensive. If it's a big add-on I'm fine paying for it, but not for things like that.

Another obvious point: Rammers. You're just trying to race cleanly and have some fun, but then a rammer takes you out and you're race is ruined. Especially when you're leading and after the ram you're all the way down in 8th, 12 seconds off the leader.

3rd point, and kinda similar to point 2: a
    Annoying AI. This is a thing that I experience a lot in rFactor and other racing sims. You run wide through a corner and rejoin the track pretty safely. Nope. AI comes, smashes into the back of you, and you're suspension and race is destroyed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

The AI. I know Ai is a tricky thing to get right, but I always have the same problems with them. Mainly, alot of AI in games have no sense of whats around them. If you're where they wanna go, they'll happily push you off the track so they can go there. If you brake alittle early on a corner, then they'll often just slam into the back of you and send you flying..
    Also, their physics in alot of games, rarely make any sense. Someone can be in a car twice as big and heavy as yours and still go around a corner twice as quick as you can. And for the games that have it, the rubberbanding stuff. Their cars seem to find an extra 200hp out of nowhere. It's very noticeable in Forza Horizon 3, for example. Especially in an online race. One second a car will appear slow, and you can overtake it easily. The next it'll be going like 150km/h faster than you, and will quickly take you over and disappear ahead, never to be seen again. It's incredibly frustrating when it happens near the end of a race, and you can do little about it but just watch it happen

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

No realistic damage, which leads to rammers and all that cheating.

I like it better in Beam, WCUSA race track you can't really go full speed to that drop after chicane, because your car will get damaged, you have to have mechanical sympathy in Beam just like in reality and that aspect is missing from most driving games, especially from all sims.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. JetPoweredMacintosh™

JetPoweredMacintosh™
    Expand Collapse

I have many problems with different games.

RR3: You can be going around a corner going 30 in a FWD car (Hyundai) and suddenly get massive oversteer that throws you off the track. -realism-

NFS: Shift: Rammers. This is in every game ever made..... Not just NFS. Also the fact than I see crown Victoria and Peterbilts in Tokyo.

Forza 6: It wants you to buy a certain racing wheel, or else it won't work....

Every game: The AI only knows where the edge of the track is, nothing else, including other AI. This is actually quite funny when one shoves another off the track......lol

#5 JetPoweredMacintosh™, Mar 2, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  6. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Saying that the Isetta and Supervan have no purpose because they are joke cars is stupid. It's like a wheelchair-bound man saying that bicycles and motorcycles are useless because he has no purpose for them.

They are joke cars, and to you they have no purpose, but there are many people who love exactly that.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. nosraenyr kcirtap kcin

nosraenyr kcirtap kcin
    Expand Collapse

Lack of normal cars, maybe it's just me but I love it when a game have like 10 pages on IGCD but I really love it when you can go from a Ferrari F50 to like a Plymouth Volair.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

AI definitely.... It is especially annoying in the fact that if they end up more than 5 feet out of position on either side of the racing line, they seem to have no idea as to what to do and will just start trying to ram their way back into the racing line. Super annoying.

If a game has rubberbanding, that can be annoying... don't get me wrong, I love a close race, so if the AI has to cheat a little to keep up and stay competitive with me, so be it. That won't bother me any... HOWEVER, as mentioned before, if the AI all of a sudden goes slingshotting past me out of nowhere with incredible speed and handling that would put an F1 car to shame... THAT really gets annoying fast...

Awareness, as mentioned before... is... well... lacking still. They have gotten better in recent years, for instance, in GT6, if a car goes off track, it will actually sit at the side of the track until it deems it is safe to pull back on without causing an accident. That is nice. Also, trying to outrun the AI to a corner and outbreak them can be pretty hilarious because Forza's AI seems to run the "If he can do it, I can too" mentality when they are right up alongside you. I have seen many an AI car go sliding past a corner because they waited until too late to brake in their heavy car trying to outbreak me in my lighter car. All that being said, if you take a different racing line, even if it's just a little different, you might as well be on the mafia's hit list as far as the AI is concerned... It's pretty much the racing line or no line as far as they are concerned.

Last gripe... Holding out on cars for DLC. Recently Forza 7 has just released the Bugatti Chiron as a DLC car. Now, normally that wouldn't bother me too much, except for one detail. The car was out way before Forza 7 was. Long enough that everyone on the Forza forums was trying to figure out if it would be in the game or not. Turned out that it wasn't in the game... that came as a bit of a surprise as most of us figured Forza would want one of the hottest cars of the year to be in their new game... but it wasn't. Now, though, they released it as a PAID DLC... I dunno about you lot, but that is really starting to grind my gears a bit. 10 bucks says when the Supra finally gets released we will magically end up with a Toyota themed DLC seeing as Toyota is magically missing from the roster for some reason.

• Agree Agree x 7
  9. Nivracer

Nivracer
    Expand Collapse

I could go on for hours on this topic.
    -Project CARS (only played the first but have read about and watch videos on the second)
    1: I was watching a YouTuber playing career and the AI are super fast in qualifying (qualifies 11th or last), then in the race they are a lot slower (finishes 2nd in 3 laps).
    2: No safety car for a simulation racing game.
    3: Even though the weather is dynamic the weather is the same if you do the same championship. So if you do a race in GT3 and it rains half way through the race on COTA, it will do it every time in the GT3 championship. (they did it in their first game too.)
    4: Can't create custom offline championships, but you can create online custom championships.
    5: They promised things we never got in the first game.
    6: The amount of testing they don't do so they release a mostly broken game.

-Forza Motorsport (I've played 2-6)
    1: Mostly just 3 or 4 lap races.
    2: can't change the AI cars in online after FM4
    3: After FM4 they combined all GT cars into one class, and LMP cars into one class. when they should be separate classes like GT3, GT2, GT1, LMP2, and LMP1. And they put the Lamborghini Super Trofeo in the GT class, when it's not even a GT car, same with the Maserati racecar.
    4: Puts lots of trucks in the game with no dirt tracks.
    5: Usually only half of the DLC cars are good in their recent games.
    6: Drivatars have absolute no clue what a racing line is, especially FM5.
    7: (FM6)If you are lapping Drivatars they don't know if they should give way or take the racing-ish line so you end up crashing into them.
    8: Don't remember when they introduced this stupid feature but when you hit a wall or more specifically scrape it your car gets slowed down a lot, I get that it's to prevent wall riding but that only really works on walls that on very close to the track or street circuits.
    9: (5-7) Random Tire walls instead of corner cut penalties. If you spin out or crash going into the grass on the left side of the track going into a left corner you are going to hit a tire wall just to add insult to injury and possibly damage the car more by other out of control cars or just too much speed hitting the tires. a simple speed limited corner cut penalty could solve this.
    10: Lamborghini Aventador or an Enzo Ferrari engine can go into almost anything.
    11: (FM6) Wet tracks have had more rain than Hurricane Harvey.

-Forza Horizon (played all)
    1: (2 & 3) We have offroading so we are going to force you to do it (cross country)
    2: You almost always end up offroading supercars.
    3: Adding Track only and racecars in an open-wold game.
    4: (FH3) Super random lighting fats rubber banding that only takes place though 1 corner. (One car will just take one cars at Le Mans Prototype speed, then continue normally)
    5: (FM3 maybe 2 also) While on the rubber banding subject I did a race on "New Racer" the slowest setting, should be easy for someone who has mostly only played racing games for over 5 years, I got 3rd because of rubber banding, put it back to "Unbeatable" and got first on the same race.
    6: Lamborghini Aventador or an Enzo Ferrari engine can go into almost anything.

-general
    1: Micro transactions, and pay to win. Pay 60$ or more for special/limited editions and all they want yo to do is buy currency (credits, dollars), secondary currency (gold, diamonds), parts, cars ect. to progress faster or get something you can't get otherwise.
    2:Games that have convertible cars but don't let you put the roof down, or up.
    3: AI that are invincible or more resistant to damage.
    4: AI that don't need to refuel or need new tires.
    5: Ridiculously fast cop cars.

That's all I can think of right now at 1:30 AM.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Forza 7 at least split the gt and lmp cars up again. There's 2 or 3 GT classes, P1 and P2 LMP classes.

AI is fucking awful as ever and while there's a ton more moderators in online compared to previous games, ramming is still rife.

Disagree with arguments against the micro cars etc, they are actually sorted into classes with other similar vehicles.

11. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

FM7:
    Glitches. Seriously, I hate that glitch where it depletes the number of drivers to 0 when playing at certain times. I also hate that some cars would've been better if it was in FH3, like the Patrol Turbo, and Ridgeline Baja. Lastly, I don't like the AI.
    NFS Payback:
    Story line. Who remembers when NFS didn't focus on story, and more on missions, fun, and that other factors? Well, add a goddamn boring story-line to it. I swear this drags out more than The Crew, and that story is more stereo-typical. Plus, it fails in variety. Sure, there are a few, but it sucks how much less cars they could add to the game. Atleast with GTS and FM3/FH7, they had an packed collections of cars to choose from. Payback is also an disappointment, since it was praised so much before release.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

I hope you're on PC, because Forza doing that on Xbox would have zero excuse.

13. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Nope.
    But, it's still true. I'd just hope that it doesn't have to do with internet.

14. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

It is internet actually. Xbox and pc impacted because the glitch is you having a crap connection and dropping out of the race, not a game glitch

15. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Okay, atleast now I have an idea.
    I also hate how sometimes I have to restart when "The Crew" won't sign me in. It's not because of the internet this time.

16. Dean Wang

Dean Wang
    Expand Collapse

in nfs payback
    cannot drive cop cars ex : crown vic corvette srt8 charger
    cannot drive g35
    in fh 3
    no cops it gets boring
    in beamng
    too realstic understeer af

17. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

The force feed back is so terrible, i literally want to throw the game out the window, seriously FH3 cars dont just have a centre spring that adjusts to speed, i thought Beam was bad until this.

18. 98crownvic

98crownvic
    Expand Collapse

Two things that annoy me in FH3 are the drivatars, who even if you’re driving normally, will pass somebody on a blind corner and ram into you, and also the fact that you pay full price for a game to get like 2/3 of the actual content. Also, I don’t like how much FH3 and FM7 don’t match up. Say you have a car with two sets of lights in back, like a Skyline. In FH3, the brakelight will be on the outer circle, and FM7 it’ll be on the inside circle. And the fact that car pricing absolutely doesn’t match. A 90s M5 costs 25K in FH3 and 105K in FM7. And of course, the lack of steering in FM7. Full lock at 40 miles an hour, you get like ten degrees of steering angle.

• Like Like x 1
  19. welshtoast

welshtoast
    Expand Collapse

I think someone actually made an experiment about drivatars, with the results that they actually aim for you. Really annoying when you`re biulding up a big skill chain and then some idiot drivatar smashes into you

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice