1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

this game has been off my list for a long time

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr.Booce, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

4gb of ram and integrated graphics card? I dont think the game will ever be THAT optimized.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Oh by the way Mr.Booce.

I do not recommend downloading Los Injurus or Roane County Tennessee made by bob.blunderton until you get your computer fixed. They are over 1 GB and they require at least 8GB RAM to run.
    We will just have to see how much the devs evolve over the next 5 to 10 years, or so.

3. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

i STILL really, REALLY, REAAAAAAAAAAAALLY dont think ANY game developer for a serious 3D game with good graphics makes the game with integrated graphics and 4gb of ram in mind. This isn't "low end", this is "irish potato farm" territory.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Okay then :/

By the way, doesn't BeamNG require 4gb to run, or am I mistaken?

5. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

As a min to run? yes. However "minimum to run" implies stock content, no extra mods, and no guarantee of a stable high framerate.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Exactly, 4gb is the minimum requirement for running BeamNG. I thought that was true already, but thanks for conforming it anyways =)

4gb isn't nearly enough to run Roane County or Los Injurus made by @bob.blunderton. Thank you for the informative posts Dr. Death =)

7. sjbphoto

sjbphoto
    Expand Collapse

i see your issue, the 2 core.
    Obviously as the game gets updated a 2 core is going to struggle hardcore

8. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Every big update the game gets. The devs add stuff, whether it's expanding and updating a map, adding a map, or adding a new vehicle. That could make the game harder to run on your pc.

9. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

As per the game specifications for system requirements; this game REQUIRES a dedicated graphics processing unit (GPU or 'video card').
    A computer with 4GB of RAM is not a proper gaming computer for modern (or even a few years old) 3D games.
    It will run some console ports, if they're done correctly; as consoles only have a combined 5GB of memory for use in holding all the programs, and their respective models and textures.
    If you run DirectX 9 (not 10, 11, or 12/12+RT), things are even worse as all things in VIDEO RAM must be mirrored to system RAM, even if your system uses the system RAM as VIDEO RAM for integrated graphics. This is not the case in the other levels of Direct X. Direct X 9 was in it's heyday 10 years ago, so thankfully, it's been put to pasture where it belongs, but is still something to keep in mind.
    Memory is cheap. Used sticks of 2 or 4gb can go for as little as 5~20$. Just make sure you copy the model numbers off your existing ram, and know your processor and chip set names so you can match memory to save money, vs replacing it all and throwing the baby out with the bath water.
    An Integrated GPU isn't a death-sentence for gaming - it won't run most new/newer 3D games - but I managed to run Carmageddon Reincarnation on my 2014 Devil's Canyon iGPU (Haswell Refresh), and it was playable in 720p. You just have to run games in 720p or 768p and similar resolutions on integrated graphics, as the memory bandwidth & latency on all but the most recent (2017~2018 and newer) models isn't sufficient to fill 1080p resolution at full motion (24~30fps or above).
    Things to keep memory use down, iGPU load light, and processor load light:
    MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE you've dedicated 1GB of video RAM to the iGPU in BIOS. Some models might only allow you to use up to 768mb, that's cutting it very tight but it may still run.
    Set video options preset to LOWEST in-game in the video options.
    DO NOT use shadows except maybe 'player only'.
    Uncheck all optional boxes on the graphics settings for thinks like anti-aliasing and especially but not limited to SSAO (Soft-Shadow Ambient Occlusion).
    More drastic but might help FPS even more:
    Go into the (f11) map editor, find THELEVELINFO object in the F1 object editor, and set the 'far distance cutoff' or 'far view cutoff' or 'far distance cutoff' in the right-side box from 6000+ meters down to 500~800 or less (it's only one field, I forget what it's called and it has changed). This will drastically reduce the field of view as things higher than that number (in meters) will not render at all, but will drastically improve performance on the most limited machines. You can search for 'info' in this box and it will bring up one single object, THELEVELINFO, which controls fog and view distance among other things. Try not to fool with other settings.
    Save your work via the menu and exit the map editor with F11 key again, and enjoy the map.
    When the game has a major update, please remove the content of documents\beamng.drive\levels folder, to make sure the new versions of the updated maps are used, otherwise you will have very strange scenery. This will mean you will have to do your changes over, but it's a small price to pay (not as small of a price as a RAM upgrade, hint hint).

Los Injurus will run on a system with a 1GB dedicated graphics card even if said-card is a half dozen years old, and even if you have a first-generation i7 / xeon chip on an X58 'Nehelam' socket 1366 system, with a whopping 6gb of 1333mhz memory. That system was an OEM HP system from 2009~2011 or so, so that's food for thought.
    Roane County needs more CPU power and about equal GPU power - believe it or not - if you stay away from the default spawn with a poor CPU you might be okay (the default spawn is in Downtown Harriman).
    Nevada Interstate may run for you on Low/Lowest, so you can try that one out if you only have 4GB of RAM total, minus whatever the iGPU uses.

Most computers that have a processor capable of handling this game can host at-least 8gb of memory. You should have at-least that much in a modern gaming machine, and when I say 8GB minimum, I mean 8gb minimum. 8GB is 2014 gaming machine standards, and we're now in 2020, where most gamers have 16gb of RAM.
    TL-DR (too long Bob, Didn't read!).
    Please consider replacing the computer if you like to game on it, with a pre-built machine with a Ryzen 3200G / 3400G or any half-decent dedicated GPU + 8gb of system RAM and a Ryzen 1600 / intel 9400f at-least. There are many machines out there that are purpose-built machines for gaming or professional 3D tasks - you will find these should be adequete for your needs. Plenty of youtube personalities out there will happily lead you by the nose to the perfect gaming machine out there, if needed (not insulting, not one bit; but that's what they do and surely they're fairly good at it if they have a million+ subscribers).

--Good luck!

Edit: At the original poster, 3rd gen i7 1.9ghz ... 1.9ghz isn't enough for pretty much any modern games. You're going to be in core 2 duo performance territory with that. That's like trying to run it on a newer NetBook computer (not even a laptop). Get something newer, please. This is a cutting edge physics simulation engine that isn't even released yet. Asking it to run on a 1.9ghz anything with 4gb of RAM and an iGPU is just not going to happen realistically. Not being mean, just honest. If you can't afford a better PC, afford yourself a better job. If you're too young to work, in-stead of playing games, do work for friends/friend's parents, family, neighbors, or anyone you know who will pay you timely and reasonably. When I was a kid even while in school there were times I held two jobs and still found time to go slave for/get suckered into helping my father for below-minimum wage at the construction business. Always had cash in hand though.

#29 bob.blunderton, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. fivedollarlamp

fivedollarlamp
    Expand Collapse

Please don't make an exasperated forum post complaining about terrible performance in a physics-based simulation game when you're using a 7-8 year old machine. low-spec users are being "given a chance"- this game is increasingly well optimized. The fact of the matter is that you're well below "low spec".

A good PC is not going to cost you $2,000. A PC that has good performance and lasts a long time will likely cost around $1,000, most likely less.

For those who are on a very tight budget, a clever way to get good performance at a low price is to buy an HP desktop from eBay or an office surplus store. Look for a core i5 and about 8gb of RAM. At most, you'll want to spend about $80. From there, order this model of GPU (Doesn't specifically have to be on Amazon, just get it for as low of a price as possible) If you can afford it, throw in one or two more RAM sticks. That kind of build should only cost you about $240.
    Gaming on a budget is possible.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

Yep. Like i said. i7 3rd gen, 4gb DDR3, and no dedicated GPU isn't low end. Its just "im browsing the internet, watching YT videos and netflix and maybe some browser games" territory.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Amazon sellers often sell the used XEON machines for dirt cheap, and the HP and lenovo models are fairly decent. Heck even a dell business-class machine has almost always been fairly decent. Often on amazon-approved sellers you get a 90 day warranty on it, too. They have to have good ratings to be amazon-approved, so it's usually a pretty good bet. Often there's used computers listed in the classifieds, though be careful not to get ripped off, and mom-and-pop independent PC shops almost always have an array of used games.
    The 1650 / 1650 Super class of cards are fairly good and the XEON or i5 specced business-class machines will *usually* have enough power in the OEM power supply to push that card. If not, you can always throw in an EVGA super-discount 450 watt power supply for somewhere around 30 bucks and forego any RAM upgrade until later. Just make sure the power supply has the right pin-outs for the PC as often these OEM's are making motherboards with strange connectors on them with much less pins (there are adapters out there for pretty much anything).
    Heck even a 1050 2gb card is better by long and far than an iGPU, and my old Radeon 7850 2gb card (while it needs a dedicated 6-pin or 8-pin power feed from the power supply) could still run almost any game even IF the textures looked like mud (they did, I couldn't even see the lines on the roads in Los Injurus from half a block away). For the record, the 1650 is much, much more powerful than the 1050 2gb or the 7850 2gb (which is much older).

• Like Like x 1
  13. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Agreed =)
    @bob.blunderton, If you want to talk about school and jobs. I did create a thread in off-topic for people like you to talk about those things. That said, you don't have to reply to that thread if you don't want to. Anyways, your posts are very detailed and very informative =)

Thanks for replying to this thread bob.blunderton =)

• Like Like x 1
  14. BrynCoops

BrynCoops
    Expand Collapse

Talk about budget gaming. I'm currently on a Lenovo Ideapad.
    It's loaded with an Intel Core i3-6006U series processor with a max speed of 1.99GHz, Integrated graphics, and 20GB of ram.
    No, I don't run BeamNG at any higher resolution than 1280x720, but I get no performance issues and a stable 20~ FPS (at most...)

For screenshots, I ramp every thing up to max and the resolution goes up to 1920x1080, but I'm at like 5fps.

Been playing like this for the last four years, don't know why people are complaining about low-end performance.

15. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

laptops are a pain in the ass..
    i went thru 2 laptops in the last 10 years. both of them rog laptop. very powerful pc.
    But my last one was a lemon and the board died.
    For what that laptop cost me (2000 wit tax n warranty)
    I now bought a desktop that cost me 1500 and i easily have 2x time the specs in a mini desktop.

for those interested in specs.
    Laptop was
    i7 7700hq (4 core 8 threads)
    16gb ram
    1050 4gb (non ti)

Desktop specs.
    ryzen 7 2700x (8 core 16 threads)
    16gb ram
    rtx 2060 super.

Laptops are desktop parts engineered to be smaller and they are cramped up in a small area, they heat up cuz of awful airflow and i got unlucky with mine and it died out of nowhere. if you compare laptop parts, they are even less powerful then their desktop variants.

Like i said, my laptop died, right in christmas break as well...
    I was shopping for a new laptop since im still in college and having portability would be favorable.
    I saw the zephyrous, it was even on sale for 300bux, with tax and additional warranty, it went up to 3000$ (canadian rupees)
    Since i dont have that much money i looked into getting it financed, and thru a 24 month period, the new total wouldve gone up to 3800$$$

Guys, do yourselfs a favor.
    Invest in a portable desktop way before a laptop. it might be a bit more of a pain in the ass to transport everywhere. but for the specs of a 4000$ laptop i got myself a 1400$ desktop with even better specs.

I personally am done with laptops. i aint rich....

Honestly man, if i were you id put away some money here and there when possible and get a desktop build for around 500$
    im sure for that price you can get a similar ddr3 build with 8gb of ram, some kind of quad core cpu, and a decent enough gpu to run games a bit better then a potato laptop with no gpu and 4gb of ram...
    Might take months... or years to save up... def if ur in highscool or going thru stuff. but i onced saved up my lunch money for a whole year to buy myself a bicycle when i was younger. it was worth it. long process but at the end of the day you get what you want at some point.

Money situation aint ez. it took me a long time before i could get anything. but i also work with computers so i kinda have a priority for it as well.. but 2nd hand stuff could get you an even better deal. just keep an eye out for scams n shit like that....

Good luck for the time being..

• Like Like x 1
  16. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Laptops are so "wonderful" at running BeamNG, right?

Jokes aside, I'm lucky. I have a desktop that runs BeamNG.Drive just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

By design, laptops are flawed. As nice as it is to be able to carry them around easily, not even mentioning "what if something breaks", laptops have absolute trash cooling and air flow and because of that, they will never be good for playing games, on top of the fact that even the most hardcore battery right now for computers wont let you play a videogame for more than 3-5 hours unplugged.
    --- Post updated ---
    What a weird case. 2 ghz i3, no GPU but 20gb of RAM? i dont think of many applications where a low end computer with that much RAM would be very good unless using google chrome a lot or making it a server computer.

18. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Well, I do have a Google chromebook that I use mainly for internet stuff and it has a 10+ hour battery life, though I don't play non Google play games on it.

19. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, however that's because you dont use it for games. The more hardware intensive tasks will increase power consumption and temperature. That's why gaming laptops give you different battery life expectations between playing games, idling, doing minor tasks, and so on.

20. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Like others have said here, the game is actually well optimized if you're willing to turn the settings down. If you are desperate for a PC, shopping around for a used computer then tossing a used GPU in is a good way to get a good gaming system on a tight budget.

And throw all of the RGB you can find at it too. More RGB = more horsepower. Hell, toss a strobe light and fog machine in and you're golden.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice