Tips For Noob Mods

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by PreacherGoat, Apr 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. PreacherGoat

PreacherGoat
    Expand Collapse

So..... Yeah.... I'm the noob, New to beamng modding. I have just started teaching myself to use blender 2.8 and this game seemed like a perfect companion to it. Showcasing and practice.

I scanned over the forums a little and couldn't find exactly what i was looking for. Maybe someone could point me to some tutorials, Or to an existing thread with the relevant info? I'm easy and i know blender 2.8 is still very new.

If no such thread exists, I'll happily start a collection of stuff here

Over the past week i have been teaching myself the basics... And if i sound a little arrogant.... sorry, But i have taken to it like flies to poop.... I have the object creation sorted, UV mapping etc.... Got custom maps made in Beamng.... But heres the big one....

How do i make the exported .dae files have substance...

If you read this speech to point out a tick box i missed, I will humbly apologise and love you forever! Also, Hello Beamng modding peoples!

2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

There are some things that add to Wiki:
    https://www.beamng.com/threads/tutorials-index-list-of-useful-guides.51454/

Now technically easiest possible is to practice with simple cube and to get that exported to gridmap, that is very simple to do and allows you to build plenty of additions to maps already, from there you can move to more complex aspects like vehicle part addons etc.

Blender 2.78 is what I use, but basic stuff in 2.8 still is similar, although exact places of where to find stuff might be bit different. Overall, you might want to be familiar with Blender before attempting to do much of exporting, but I can show how 2.78 Blender handles exporting and you only need to find way to find out how to do same in 2.8.

For BeamNG, make sure your material names are unique, it always saves the hazzle. Also remember apply location, rotation and scale, in object mode hit ctrl+a and choose those options from the menu.

For objects use smooth shading and edge split modifier.

When exporting objects, make sure you are in object mode and your object is selected, then file-export-Collada (or whatever is equivalent in 2.8) and then choose selection only and apply modifiers options in exporter options. Also select include material textures option.
    upload_2019-4-20_4-43-20.png

Practice by exporting to path Documents\BeamNG.Drive\levels\gridmap\art\shapes\yourshapename.

Cool thing of BeamNG is that when you have exported your .dae file to empty folder like above, then when you import object in game editor, BeamNG automatically makes materials.cs file for you, so you will have textures in your object already. When you are well practiced, you can also try UV textures and UV mapping, but that is too complex at first, imo.

So after you have exported your object, load grid map in game, hit F11 to go to world editor, then go to Object editor (F1), on right choose Library tab and meshes and navigate to path of your exported object:
    upload_2019-4-20_3-24-19.png

You double click your object and then popup window comes up, you can choose force update materials.cs just in case, then hit OK to import your object:
    upload_2019-4-20_3-26-5.png

There is the object then with materials applied:
    upload_2019-4-20_3-26-32.png

For collision type, select Visible mesh final and you can already do some test crashes with your new object on map:
    upload_2019-4-20_3-27-25.png

There is bit more on Wiki about it, for example LODs and Collision mesh are things additional that needs to be learned, but above is just to get started easiest possible way on making simple objects to maps, so you can start practicing and experimenting.

These Wiki documents help then in going further:
    https://wiki.beamng.com/Creating_static_objects
    https://wiki.beamng.com/Exporting_static_objects

Learning modeling in Blender itself, that is which you need to find youtube tutorials, modeling is quite generic, there is not much BeamNG related to be worried about at first, just combine cubes, go to edit mode, extrude some edges and just make lot of different stuff to learn how modeling itself works.

Oh yes, welcome to dark side :p

#2 fufsgfen, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. PreacherGoat

PreacherGoat
    Expand Collapse

Amazing!! Thank you. Perfect starting point, I will make you a free car... in about a year or two :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. PreacherGoat

PreacherGoat
    Expand Collapse

I've been doing Great..... kinda.... Your advice was very useful, I made this! Buuuuut,

-Some of the mesh doesn't register (Maybe too many & small faces?)
    -There's an invisible barrier along the red line.....

All my normals are fine... All the colours are basic materials (Collision set to visible).....

I have tried many many variations... cleared cache etc etc... No idea what the invisible barrier is... and no idea why some of the dae file counts as solid... and some doesn't.... Its all a single dae. file....

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

• Screenshot_1.png
  5. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Visual collision works on simple objects, when stuff gets complex, it starts to bug out. Might work better if chairs, table and sofa would be all separate .dae files.

Usually complex objects need to have collision mesh, that works best.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PreacherGoat

PreacherGoat
    Expand Collapse

Sweeet, So separate things and load in as pieces, Learn how to make separate collision meshes & Work out how to add more detailed textures.

I'm glad its just buggy from complexity.. I tried so hard to work out what i'd done differently. Again, ty kind sir!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice