1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Top speed runs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ApolloSauce, Feb 16, 2017.

?

What should my next community challenge be?

Poll closed Feb 21, 2017.
  1. Time Attack

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Rally?

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ApolloSauce

ApolloSauce
    Expand Collapse

I have a challenge for you guys. Since the Bonneville Salt flats have been added via mods I thought it would be nice to hold a friendly competition. The rules are as follow: mods allowed; any mod as long as it isn't anything with insane levels of power or change aerodynamics or anything of the sort to make hitting high speeds too easy, I want this to be semi realistic. Runs must be recorded via any means possible ( potato cams if needed)

Class restrictions:
    "Econobox" Class. Weight limit: I don't care. Power limit 1300 HP: must be a Covet with the standard body or modded bodies like the JDM body from the DPMP.

Utility Class. Weight limit: can't be below 3,000 lbs. Power limit: 2000HP. Cars allowed: Roamer, D series and H series.

Sports cars. Weight limit: can't be below 2,250 lbs for RWD, 2,650 for AWD. Power limit: 800 HP for RWD, 1200 for AWD. Only for the 200BX and the K series and the SBR4.

Family Cars. Weight limit 2500 For RWD, 3000 lbs for AWD, 2300 for FWD. Power limit: 900 for RWD, 1200 for AWD, 750 for FWD. only for 4 doors such as legran, S series, Sunburst, Pessimas, Burnside.

The Balancing Act: No weight limit, Power limit: 600 BHP if you can get it there. Only for the Pigeon. 3 wheeled only.

Please In your recording use the airspeedometer and have the engine dynamometer on the app layout so I can confirm that the power restriction. Also use the app that shows car weight for restriction requirements so I can confirm that nobody has an unfair advantage.

Post videos and results in one post. Feel free to enter multiple classes! Good luck!

#1 ApolloSauce, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

I managed to get the 200bx to about 380kmh using vanilla parts. You can have as much power as you want but you have to have the supporting mods to get it to go to higher speeds.

3. aesthetic_tea

aesthetic_tea
    Expand Collapse

What is the moonhawk?

4. ApolloSauce

ApolloSauce
    Expand Collapse

What do you mean by supporting mods? Do you mean stuff like gearing, Aero and suspension etc? You can use mods from the forums and repo if you want, I would just prefer that nobody uses any insane power mods or anything that eases the process too much by making the drag coefficient super low or adjusting friction. I want this to remain semi realistic
    --- Post updated ---
    Also if you can is it possible to get a video of the run? This also applies to anybody who posts their results. Please post what class your running in with what car, drivetrain you are using, weight and power, and if you wouldn't mind can you drop a config file so I can try it out myself to see other people's ideas. If using any modded parts let me know what mods they are from so I can have a identical config. Thanks

5. Inertia

Inertia
    Expand Collapse

Top speed = 335km/h and probably more if I fix the gearing.
    screenshot_00065.png

6. ApolloSauce

ApolloSauce
    Expand Collapse

Idk how this will work but for anybody wanting to be serious about this competition, I would like to start a leaderboard that is updated at the end of each week. In order for me to confirm a run I need a screenshot or preferably a video of your run. The map that the runs need to be recorded on is the Bonneville Salt Flats. Use the 2 8km strips and record your top speed. In your post please include the picture or video, what class you are competing in ( you can compete in multiple if you wish), what car model you are using, drivetrain, Power & weight. If you don't know how to find the power use the engine dynometer and for weight I think it is one of the debug apps. Thanks! And best of luck to you guys!
    --- Post updated ---
    Leaderboard will be posted once I get at least 2 entrants for at least 2 classes. After that I will post every run that is posted here on the leaderboard. The leaderboard will show your Username, Class, Car, Drivetrain, and speed reached.

7. Destroyer247_52

Destroyer247_52
    Expand Collapse

So, is this enough to enter? Econobox // Covet // Custom 2.4L I4 making 492 BHP peak, and 337 LB-FT peak (Based off a Honda Engine that someone nicely rebuilt) // 4-Speed Manual Transmission that has custom ratios // 228 MPH Air Speed // Weight: 2348 LB // I will PM you the config/mod (not finished and don't upload) if this even qualifies so you can check it over.

Attached Files:

• BeamNG2017-02-1820-10-31-69.jpg
    #7 Destroyer247_52, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  8. ApolloSauce

ApolloSauce
    Expand Collapse

Yes, thank you so much! This is exactly what I'm looking for in this! That is everything I needed for an entry in this competition. If you want to, feel free to enter in more classes! I won't be able to review your config for a while because I'm at my dads for the week and my PC isn't exactly portable or movable. But I trust you

9. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

K24 the ultimate.

10. The Green Hell

The Green Hell
    Expand Collapse

257 MPH in a SBR4 facelift. It has twin stage 3 turbos, and is in the sports car class. Sorry for not having a screenshot, I didn't read the entire post first.

11. ApolloSauce

ApolloSauce
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the entry! If you can give me a screenshot of the car standing still afterwards that is fine I just need to know what drivetrain it is, how much power it makes & how much it weighs. Thanks

12. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

I'll enter with this for now. Very moderately tuned 614PS (personal mod modeled after the BMW N74B66), RWD, slightly unstable without the rear wing that I usually have on there. :D

Maybe I go for the full allowed 800 hp later :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. ApolloSauce

ApolloSauce
    Expand Collapse

;)
    Thank you for the entry! Never thought I would get a staff member on here! I will have a leaderboard up on Wednesday night EST as that is when I decided to do the leaderboard update. That is hella fast for only that much power, can you find the weight of that car for me please?

14. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Weight of that config is in the screenshot :) (Just a standard ETK K)
    Little advise though, weight does not matter for top speed at all, it only matters for acceleration. Since you limit weight only towards 0, the restriction is pretty pointless.
    Example, it does not matter if a car weights 1t or 2t, given all the other characteristics are the same, the top speed will also be the same.

Oh btw, the BMW 760Li (which uses that specific engine) is said to run around 345km/h if it were completely unlimited (actually limited to 305).

• Like Like x 2
  15. ApolloSauce

ApolloSauce
    Expand Collapse

Oh, duh. I over looked the weight in the screenshot. The only reason I added a weight restriction is because it is meant to try to get a decent blend of top end and acceleration since the run is supposed to be completed on the salt strips. I know that weight doesn't affect top speed.

16. DD-Indeed

DD-Indeed
    Expand Collapse

While we are on the subject, if no one has not yet proposed this, I think that all of these attempts should be done in a map, that doesn't run endlessly, since you can't find endless straight in real life either. :)

So, would it be best, that we would test these top speeds on that Salt Flats-mod map ? It would serve us as realistic envirovement for testing and it has long enough straight (couple miles ?) to hit the absolute maximum top speeds within reasonable time. What's more, would it be cool if we would have some sort of top speed radar and screen for it in the end of the straight just before the braking point ? And all speeds could be uploaded into leaderboards into certain categories, now that we have partial/testing purposed online features in the game.

#16 DD-Indeed, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  17. ApolloSauce

ApolloSauce
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, that would be a very cool feature and that's what I've been trying to say I just don't know how else to say it. :p

18. The Green Hell

The Green Hell
    Expand Collapse

20170222094859_1.jpg
    There's the culprit. It produces 1040 lb-ft of torque and 1170 horsepower. It is AWD, so it just fits inside the limits. How do you weigh it??

19. DD-Indeed

DD-Indeed
    Expand Collapse

Tried this one today, used this Pessima V8 mod, don't know the exact BHP levels on this, but the speed was nice, and no tyre blowout either.

20. Inertia

Inertia
    Expand Collapse

She actually gets up to 583 air speed ;)

Sadly it's completely out of the class restrictions, 2600HP, and ~1575kg weight.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice