Toyota Prius or Ssangyong Rodius

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Dc5R, Jul 30, 2015.

?

Toyota Prius or Ssangyong Rodius ?

1. Prius

63.8%
  2. Rodius

36.2%
  1. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Maybe some small 3 cyl turbo engine car would be best for economy.

I don't think that there is really need to go 160kph on public twisty roads, even 120kph sounds quite bad.

There is no shame doing below the speed limit really. Hm, maybe I'm bit old for this, once was young with such passion, but then maybe just tiny bit sense has come to my head :D

I have had my share of disasters because of some drivers having 'fun', so I'm quite anti reckless driving on public roads, mistakes happen and you need to have room for them.

Prius drivers are probably sensible ones, not letting their emotions to overpower them and not endangering others by letting feeling drive them, instead they reasonably select speed that allows for their and other's to make mistakes without it leading to accidents.

Prius certainly is not a car for hotheads, also it is not as good as many think for environment, when considering whole manufacturing etc. but it is solid automobile for typical transportation needs.

Luckily I don't need car these days, but while at some point in life I would of thought similarly about Prius, these days I can already see that it has it's place, it is not a sports car and certainly not a car that would get car enthusiast's heart pounding hard, but it is solid practical automobile for those who need such.

2. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Or you can have one decent car, not one bad and one decent.

Plus, I don't give a shit about not having a manual, and there is no hybrid Corolla.
    --- Post updated ---
    TBH small turbo engines don't have a good track record in matching the manufacturers' claims, although they aren't as bad as people say - they just don't improve, as opposed to hybrids.

3. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

And the rodius is still fairly fuel efficient for a 7- seater (about 8l/100km)

There is a hybrid corolla:

Also the whole driving fast isn't about the age, my Dad is 59 years old now and he still likes to drive faster, not really on the highways, but on the twistier roads he starts picking up speed. He isn't a gearhead at all... I'm still trying to convince him that 75hp in his megane isn't enough...
    Another argument against prius is that they are expensive compared to Rodiuses. And the Rodius is going to last unlike the prius with its dying hybrid system.

4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

What is this then? https://www.toyota.com.au/corolla/specifications/corolla-hybrid

I'm thinking small turbo electric hybrid thing, as turbo increases efficiency and electric motor gives torque, it should be quite nice, just don't have idea what is on market.

5. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Electric engine isn't really needed. Look at the Twingo or the Dacia Sandero, both have the 0.9 Liter turbocharged 3 cylinders. They both do good on fuel in the city, but the same as hybrids, they lack the power and for dynamic driving they just don't cut it as you have to really push them.

6. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

A Prius can last 300+k miles.
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-...ow-long-does-prius-last-least-315k-miles.html

If you're going to drive fast, the Prius seems to be a better choice. It is lighter and the centre of mass is lower than in the Rodius.
    --- Post updated ---
    I doubt they'll last 300+ k miles.

7. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Rodius is more luxurious, so it is going to be heavier, but you can take additional 2 people.

And with right maintenance and with someone who knows how to drive a diesel the rodius could last for up to 1 MLN miles without much in the way of issues. Last year in the Local renault dealer they had a 2nd gen 1.9 dci renault laguna which by many people is considered unreliable. This laguna had over 800k KM on it and after they've replaced seats and steering wheel, they sold it, as it was still driving with no problems at all. Right maintenance is the key. But hybrids have one weakpoint, the battery lifespan. After 4 years they start dying. And replacing the batteries is another huge expense.
    Renault did sort of solve that with their zoe. It comes without batteries. You have to actually lease the batteries, but then after they wore out they are replaced for free if I'm not mistaken.

8. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Again, the batteries argument was explained in my post - 315+k miles, which is about 25-30+ years of normal driving.

9. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It says here that electric assistance is up to 83Mph and 39 mile range with electricity.
    https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/prius-plugin/index.json

I think it should have a lot smaller petrol engine with turbo (or TD) and bigger battery though, also they don't tell electric motor power there, but I don't think that is so horrible bad as claimed.

10. zschmeez

zschmeez
    Expand Collapse

I kinda had this choice made for me. Since insurance is so expensive for new drivers, my parents decided to give me their old 2010 Prius instead of getting me something new. So yeah, Prius.

Now, as a Prius driver, I am obliged to debunk some stuff.

Not exactly. Yes, there is damage done to the earth which comes from producing the batteries. But the same applies to producing anything. For instance, all cars have lead-acid batteries. Those are also highly toxic.

Here's the thing. A standard Prius doesn't have a plug. You simply fill it up with gasoline, like a normal car. Only plug-in hybrids use electricity from the power grid. Also, coal is becoming less and less prevalent as an energy source in the United States. Here in California, coal makes up a fraction of a percent of all electricity generation, while renewables often produce upwards of half of the State's electricity demand.

From my experience, this is entirely false. I drive a 2010 Prius. I can keep up with traffic. I can overtake on the highway. Hell, I've even gotten it up to over 100 miles per hour. It makes 134 horsepower, and does 0-60 in 9.8 seconds, which is almost identical to a Toyota Corolla, and better than many cars sold in Europe.

Hello! I'm a car guy and a Prius driver!

Anyways, if you want to ask any questions of a real live Prius driver, go ahead.

#90 zschmeez, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
  11. PigeonDriver

PigeonDriver
    Expand Collapse

Seeing as how my daily driver is a 2017 crush blue metallic Toyota Prius II, I would definitely prefer a prius. I completely agree with @zschmeez on the battery issue, and I think it's also worth noting that the biggest environmental issue right now is global warming, which batteries don't contribute to. When less gas is being used in a certain amount of time less carbon dioxide is released in that distance. In the driving that I do, the engine is running about 75% of the time, which means that my car actuallt produces a bit less than 75% of the CO2 that it would without the hybrid system, due to the fact that the motor assisting the engine produces less carbon dioxide as the engine doesn't have to work as hard. Furthermore, high gas mileage is extremely convenient. When I hypermile my car does about 56-58 mpg in the summer, and 49-52 mpg in the winter. This means that I only have to stop for gas every 3-4 weeks, which is convenient and cheap.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

According to most predicitons, if we don't ease up on the CO2, we might be screwed.

Miami underwater is no laughing matter... though when you think about the sight, it gets a bit amusing.

13. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Of course, why even bother about smog? It just decreases visibility, nothing more than bad weather, and lung cancer is caused by vaccinations, we all know that. Tons of plastic in the ocean? We ain't livin in it after all. Deforestation? Who the f*ck cares about it, maybe animals lol.
    (Doesn't have anything to do with Prius vs Rodius, I just find it laughable when people go nuts over CO2 and turn a blind eye to everything else)

• Like Like x 1
  14. zschmeez

zschmeez
    Expand Collapse

Those are also enormous issues facing this planet. Nobody is denying that. However, climate change due to CO2 production is more relevant in the context of cars. And sadly, there are people denying that. (I really don't want to get into it, I'll just point out that the combustion of hydrocarbons with oxygen produces CO2 and H20. Basic chemistry.)

15. ¿Carbohydration?

¿Carbohydration?
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Deleted due to website glitch.

16. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

You'll notice my comments about battery charging from grid referred to a Tesla, a pure battery operated vehicle. You'll also find a lead acid battery is a far far smaller battery than a hybrid vehicles battery and far cleaner to manufacture (large numbers are made entirely from recycled materials even).
    It is specifically the hybrid battery that is dirty to manufacture. Everything else that needs making in a non hybrid, a hybrid still has, hell some hybrids even retain the lead acid battery as an accessory battery. And then once they're on the road, there's many non hybrids around with better gas mileage and just as good emissions, so really what is the hybrid offering? No more environmentally friendly on road. Significantly less friendly in manufacture (compare the 8 container ships used to build a Prius to the 2 of a Polo). Significantly more expensive. All in. They offer nothing to promote their usage.

Dirtiness of battery manufacture is also an electric car issue but once power grid renewables are addressed they at least offset it with on road emissions

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. zschmeez

zschmeez
    Expand Collapse

Show me a non-hybrid car I can purchase in the United States which is more efficient than a 2018 Toyota Prius. Oh wait, there aren't any.

Source: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/best-worst.shtml

18. PigeonDriver

PigeonDriver
    Expand Collapse

This is very much true. All I'm saying is that we should concentrate on solving the biggest problems first. You bring up an excellent point, though.

19. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Interesting that list. 320d, 318d, golf TDI, all missing. Fiesta ecoboost we've managed to achieve 76mpg from. Move to a country that doesn't suck maybe? Got to remember most of us aren't in the US.

20. zschmeez

zschmeez
    Expand Collapse

The European NEDC is a very inaccurate test of real-world mileage. It vastly overestimates the mileage possible. You cannot purchase the 320d, 318d, or Golf TDI in the United States. And the Fiesta Ecoboost is rated by the EPA at 41 highway, 31 city.

Also, keep in mind that the US gallon is smaller than the UK gallon, so a car getting 50 miles per gallon here would get 60 miles per gallon over there. To convert from US MPG to UK MPG, multiply by 1.2, and to convert from UK MPG to US MPG, divide by 1.2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice