Released Trackfab Unlimited 2.3

V8 powered unlimited class buggy with loads of suspension travel

1. Logan De Anda

Logan De Anda
    Expand Collapse

hey could someone add a wheelie bar and or an option to have additional modifications and more engine please?

2. TrackpadUser

TrackpadUser
    Expand Collapse

Well, I'm blaming you for this :p

upload_2020-7-11_13-4-48.png

I kinda agree the setups were a bit wack, so after our conversation I've made a second version of my spreadsheet that includes everything needed to adjust dual damper setups based on damping ratios (instead of an eyeballed massively overdampened setup like the current repo version)

There's still the issue that I don't really have much of an idea about how to find out a decent setting for the damper knee (slow to fast transition), and same thing with where exactly in the travel the bump and rebound zones are activated, but I'll try to find something. Right now the current setup works mostly fine, until you hit a jump and it just slams to the ground. Adding some hydro bumpstops might also help on that front.

I'll respond with my usual questions of "why?" and "what exactly?"

I don't think a wheelie bar makes realistic sense for a buggy like this, as it would get caught up all the time when offroading. In my experience the wheelie-ing is easy to control if you keep the buggy off asphalt, which you should be doing.

As for engines, while I have plans for making a smaller and lighter version of this buggy once I'm truly happy with it, using a 4 cylinder engine (something similar to a class 10 buggy), I don't really see what "more engines" would add to the mod in its current state, other than more choices that I have to add, adjust to fit into the buggy, and maintain in future updates. I don't see much work/reward from my POV.

• Like Like x 4
  3. letters

letters
    Expand Collapse

I've seen 0.25-0.75 quoted as common knee points, maybe a few times.. at motion ratio 0.5 that's 0.5 to 1.5.
    I've been between 0.5 and 1.0 lately, last night was running
    0.5-0.7ms main knee, 0.9-1.1ms bypass knee, 55-104 springs (1.10-1.35hz),
    3,600-5,500 fast bump (22.5% sprung mass damping ratio, 52.5%-70% unsprung assuming 118 pounds, haven't tried to weigh the suspension yet but I would expect it's closer to 150 pounds unsprung),
    4,400-5,100 fast rebound (65% unsprung damping, sprung mass fast rebound ratio doesn't matter).
    8,800-13,400 front-rear bump and rebound, 55%.

How can I add multi-rate springs? I'd like at least 2 rates, one for the bottom 25% of travel or so, slightly softer middle to lower ride height and ideally a third for the top 25% to add droop and keep ride height down. And I'd probably try to add variables for the length of each to fine tune it all. Bumpstops will still be necessary :)

It would help to have a track with appropriate terrain, i.e. aggressive wheel-deep whoops. The whoops at Gridmap are ok for testing fast damping. American Offroad Island is unrealistically hilly and lacks whoops, but it is a consistent test, and my main goal is for it to drive well. I've probably done close to 250 counterclockwise laps.

Do you know what bypass % does? I would assume there's no difference between 5000 bypass, 5000 coilover, 50% bypass, and 2500 bypass, 7500 coil, 100% bypass.

#83 letters, Jul 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  4. TrackpadUser

TrackpadUser
    Expand Collapse

My favorite map when it comes to whoopy trails is desert trails : https://www.beamng.com/resources/beamng-off-road-open-desert-trails-4096x4096.5438/

As for bypass, to make a fairly crappy MSPaint schematic. For the "bypass dampers" (the secondary damper), when ever you are in the "bump zone" or "rebound zone", you're getting the full damping from the setting, while in the ride height zone you're getting only part of that damping, based on the bypass percentage.
    So if you're setting the damper at 10000N/m/s with 70% bypass, inside the bump and rebound zones you're getting the full 10000N/m/s of damping, while in the ride height zone the damper provides 10000*(1-.7)=3000N/m/s of damping.
    upload_2020-7-11_20-24-13.png

Tender springs is something I'll probably be adding next update, along with ripping the shock models off the pre-runner. From my understanding of how they're used IRL they're not usually used for true progressive springiness, since when they're "active" you usually get a very low ride frequency (since springs in series is k = (k^-1+k^-1)^-1).
    They're mostly help when it comes to having a decent amount of droop, and are in "coil-bind" (or on their stop collar) for most of the travel.
    With my new WIP suspension setup I'm getting around 2 inches of sag, however since the springs can't get longer than their uncompressed length (well, in beamNG they can but the wheels aren't heavy enough to pull themselves down to full droop), the tender/helper spring will help make sure the wheels droop down all the way.

I can send you the files if you want to play with it, and if you have discord I could explain where I'm trying to go with my setup right now?

5. letters

letters
    Expand Collapse

I look it up, thanks.

Multi-rate springs are quite common, road racing cars sometimes use tenders, offroad vehicles can benefit from 2 tenders.
    https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/threads/spring-rate-frequency-questions.21850/#post-209528

I'll PM you.
    --- Post updated ---
    Kek, nevermind
    Later post from that user "I mainly wanted to see if it was feasible to go to a triple rate without using the zero rate helper...which is the only triple rate setup I've seen used." Wonder what a zero-rate helper is..

6. Plisehon

Plisehon
    Expand Collapse

when i spawn the sand hopper it doesnt spawn sand paddle tires. what do i need to download?

7. TrackpadUser

TrackpadUser
    Expand Collapse

https://www.beamng.com/resources/trackfab-offroad-wheels.11471/

Seeing the issues some people have been having, I make just kill off that wheel mod and include the bits with the cars that need them.

The repo really needs a way to set-up "dependencies"

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Plisehon

Plisehon
    Expand Collapse

9. Austin.G1776

Austin.G1776
    Expand Collapse

Not sure if I'm the only one experiencing this but the bypass shaft isn't in the body since the latest update.
    upload_2020-8-24_20-31-27.png

Attached Files:

• upload_2020-8-24_20-29-56.png
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dawombat

Dawombat
    Expand Collapse

yea I've had that problem too.

11. TrackpadUser

TrackpadUser
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, the slidenodes were at the wrong coordinates. I'm actually surprised it wasn't causing problems before.

It's fixed on my end, I just need to update the digi-dash and there should be a new update coming soonish

• Like Like x 3
  12. TrackpadUser

TrackpadUser
    Expand Collapse

TrackpadUser updated Trackfab Unlimited with a new update entry:

0.20 fixes and suspension rework

Read the rest of this update entry...

• Like Like x 4
  13. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

Please make the automatic transmission not to downshift in M, otherwize when you lock the wheel it downshift to M1 and overrev upon brake release
    Code:
            "autoDownShiftInM": false,

14. Austin.G1776

Austin.G1776
    Expand Collapse

upload_2020-9-1_16-46-31.png
    Is anyone else having this issue? Or is there a way I can fix this on my end? I'm sorry, I'm brand new to Beamng

15. Trophy

Trophy
    Expand Collapse

clearing cache

16. carlover6x6

carlover6x6
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

17. TrackpadUser

TrackpadUser
    Expand Collapse

You do know were getting something very similar from the devs themselves right?

It's going to be much better quality from a visual POV than anything I can do for sure.

18. carlover6x6

carlover6x6
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Pleeeeeeeaaaaaase.

19. TrackpadUser

TrackpadUser
    Expand Collapse

20. Trophy

Trophy
    Expand Collapse

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice