Trailer Ideas...

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by 88c900t, Oct 18, 2016.

1. 88c900t

88c900t
    Expand Collapse

So, I've had a couple ideas about towable trailers that I've been throwing around lately, and I'd like to consolidate them (and any good ideas you have) in this one thread. As these are just trailers without any propulsion, I think they are too unique to morph into the "vehicle suggestions" thread.

First, playing around with the small flatbed trailer is a lot of fun, but there are a number of things that can make the experience either irritating or boring. First, you cannot zoom out your camera, so your view is bad-you cannot see whats going on behind you, and with something on the trailer you cannot see well in front of you. This is an especially large problem with the tractor-trailers. One feature I would love in this game is to be able to control the camera distance with the mouse wheel (or with other controls if necessary) , like Spintires. The next problem is that with a vehicle parked on the trailer, unless you are driving very gently (and what fun is that in beamNG ;)) it is likely that the car will fall off the front end of the trailer. I think the simplest solution is to have a wall/bar wrapping around the front of the trailer, extended out somewhat to allow for some vehicle overhang. The wall (6-8 inches tall) wouldn't have to provided the vehicle loaded has OK ground clearance. The biggest problem though, is that the trailer is too small-As far as length, the largest vehicle you can load with the ramp up is the Covet, which is smaller than any other vehicle besides the pigeon. The posts on the rear corners also make it very difficult to load anything wider than a covet.

The size limitations really limit what you can do with the trailer, and I think In a game that specializes in soft- body physics (and physics simulation in general), then there is potential for at least a few different trailers...

1) improve the current small flatbed trailer to be somewhat more accommodating. I'm not asking to vastly increase its size or change it fundamentally, as it is it's a nice addition to the game but it could be so much better optimized. It should be able to accommodate the 90s pessima/ I series easily.

2) I talked about this before, but a larger flatbed trailer. Which at 18-20 feet, will likely be dual axle. It should be able to accommodate the D series/roamer/vanster, and the body on frame cars easily. For some added choice, there should be two-iron and aluminum, the latter being light enough to tow with the sturdier passenger cars. Perhaps an enclosed version of the aluminum trailer. Speaking of enclosed....

3) Campers! I think the destruction would be something to behold. 2 RVs, a 12-14 footer single axle (based on the frame of the current small flatbed trailer) and a 24-26 foot based on the dual axle aluminum frame. I think it would also be cool to have a worn out looking, 1960s design as a bonus (shown) . But that's just my opinion, the prevailing opinion would be a wooden frame airstream, which would also be awesome.

upload_2016-10-18_4-22-9.png

I think it's worth taking this camper concept to actual vehicles, like the D series and the vanster...

Any other ideas on new trailers or how to improve the current one, post them. I'm looking forward to reading them!

2. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

The small trailer currently is a bit of an issue but it is a "small trailer" so it should be able to fit anything more than a small hatchback or sedan. However i do think we need a slightly larger twin axle trailer that could comfortable fit slightly bigger cars such as the 200bx, 90's pessima or sunburst. No one (smart) transports, long wheelbase/high centre of gravity 4WD's or offroad vehicles on a car trailer. They either go on tow trucks or much heavier duty trailers.
    Check out AR162B's trailermod. It adds around 4 and they suit what you are asking
    The campervan's i doubt would ever be made by the devs because campervans are made out of materials that break and come apart in ways that beamNG cannot yet simulate because they are made from materials such as wood and fibreglass which do not deform like metal.
    Many modders have also tried but gave up at either modelling the interior or jbeaming it to a stage where it deforms correctly.
    i suggest also trying out the southern ind. mobile home mod. It has lots of different parts that break apart and looks quite spectacular when a propane tank goes off inside it. but don't complain if it doesn't work, it is a fairly old mod and hasn't been updated recently.

3. MotherTrucker02

MotherTrucker02
    Expand Collapse

You can control the camera zoom, usually with pg up/dn, and you can change that in the key bindings menu.
    I agree though, more trailers would be nice. The ones I want most would be a larger car trailer, a tag trailer with a pintle hitch that could be hauled behind the D or T series, and a lowboy of some kind for the T-series.
    I see a lot of guys that haul their 4x4s on a bumper pull or goose-neck equipment trailers behind their pickups.

4. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

Goose necks are much heavier duty than twinaxle car trailer that mounts of the towball which was what i meant. No idea what a bumper pull is though, i might have to look it up.

5. MotherTrucker02

MotherTrucker02
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, US terminology, a trailer that hooks up to the ball on or under the bumper. Ex:
    C8.jpg
    When you said heavy duty trailers I thought you meant the kind you would pull behind a semi.

6. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

I personally wouldn't tow a heavy vehicle on that. Although it does look fairly strong and sturdy i still wouldn't trust it, especially with it attaching to a tow ball because it makes the weight further away from the tow vehicle. Unless you have an ultra strong and correctly reinforced tow ball that is fully supported by the tow vehicle, it would be pretty unsafe. Even more so with a car that would weigh upwards of 1800kg (something like 3800-4000lbs) and with a high centre of gravity.
    For Drag cars and circuit cars it's ok, because they are much lower and have stiffer suspension so they don't sway and move around on the trailer. 4WD's are the complete opposite.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice