WIP Beta released Trynelgren 3.1

A midsize map with grass and trees

1. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

I was curious so here:
    idea.jpg

EDIT: I think that's a good idea. I suppose we've all had our minds on how to handle tunnel systems given the limitations currently present in BeamNG.drive / T3D. I don't have any better ideas.

• Like Like x 1
  2. dorven5

dorven5
    Expand Collapse

I put this in the right file. Nothing happened.

3. derpfleet55

derpfleet55
    Expand Collapse

since tunnels seem to be all the rage an underground tunnel ring "highway" (similar to some of those ridiculously long tunnels in the European alps) that circles the map edges might be interesting, and an easy way to explain how you get to trynelgren (just create a collapsed exit at one point and an open road to the main map). The only issue i foresee is possibly creating the inside of the tunnel itself, as a banked long curve may not be easy, though possibly setting up some sort of mesh-road as the walls/roof might work, as it did for the guardrails, and inside a tunnel you don't need to see the outside of the walls if its under the map.
    Edit: i am stupid, listen to torsion

#143 derpfleet55, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  4. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

You probably didn't put the right file in the right directory. Download v2.9 from here (it's a zip file) and place it in your /mods/ folder.

Documents\BeamNG.drive\mods
    Do not do any of this.

5. AR162B

AR162B
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure if I fully understand, but you want to stretch the tunnel until the end of the map, and add some assets besides the map?
    I already like the idea the that there are plans for it, the atmosphere in it is great.
    If you're still going with the mining-theme, don't forget the typical lift building (with maybe a vertical shaft to drop cars in?) :)

I see you have planned some kind of derby area, it makes me think that a large, wide, but underground area with the atmosphere you've already created in current mine for derby purposes could be an idea as well. The lift shaft could end in there.

6. Ouerbacker

Ouerbacker
    Expand Collapse

Something like this. These images of wip stuff might clear things up. Please note that I do not have permission to use Doullpepper's bridge stuff,so it might or might not be sticking about.

Between the terrain and the cliff, two cave/mine systems will come down to the bottom of the canyon. From the canyon's valley, I might have a maze-like mine/cave system on one side and a derby arena on the other.
    very, very, very, very wip
    BeamNG 2015-12-04 03-28-03-85.jpg BeamNG 2015-12-04 03-28-31-89.jpg BeamNG 2015-12-04 03-27-52-65.jpg

I'll add these ideas to my list of ideas.

Something like this would be best done with bezier curves in blender. Unfortunately, a 3+ kilometer long tunnel of the same repeating mesh would probably not be very interesting. For now, I going to try out my little canyon idea.

edit- Since I've got finals next week, progress on this and my other stuff is going to be a little strange and erratic. So, here is the first beta of Snowy Trynelgren.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2wkfmgcvjkrh02t/SnowyTrynelgren0.1.zip?dl=0

Please note that this it is not yet 100% stand alone , so a non-winter version of Trynelgren is also needed.

#146 Ouerbacker, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    • Like Like x 5
  7. DoullPepper

DoullPepper
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

I love the turn of things! :D No problem, take the bridge! But how to do the bottom of canyon without terrain editor? Maybe bring this stuff closer your map, for use a planarized surface of the edge of the map to shape the bottom of canyon :confused:
    Also do a mine is a big work! Maybe you can do it with splines and after shape it with blender scult tools...

• Like Like x 2
  8. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

The problem is that we may not cut a hole in the terrain. (Holes cannot be traveled through.) Anything which needs to be under the terrain must go around the edge of the terrain.

... that begs the question though: unless you want to get to the other side of the map (by having a mining network all the way across underneath), what is the point? There is no need to wrap around under the terrain, the player will never know whether there is terrain above them or not! It seems to cause less problems if the mine tunnels simply extend haphazardly away from the map. (That way you don't have to deal with a mesh canyon.)

9. Scepheo

Scepheo
    Expand Collapse

Due to the way terrain works in most games (including the T3D engine), it's wrong to think of terrain as purely a plane with collision: everything above the terrain is air, everything under it is solid. This prevents you from falling through the terrain at high speeds and generally simplifies (and thereby speeds up) collision detection, which is why games use terrains instead of meshes in the first place. However, this also means that you can't actually drive under the terrain, because as far as the game is concerned there's no such thing as under the terrain: you're inside the terrain, and the game will push you out upwards.

Then there's the fact that T3D assumes a flat terrain when you go outside the map (although I'm not sure how it decides the height for this terrain), which means you can't just go down as far as you like when you're working next to the map.

• Like Like x 3
  10. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Ahhh, that makes a lot of sense. I'd noticed that the terrain will slowly eject vehicles/physics-objects, but I didn't connect the dots.

11. Devilman455

Devilman455
    Expand Collapse

I love the bolide classic scenario but is there anyway to make it daytime when I load it up because I really don't like the dark look.

12. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

BeamNG.drive.x64 2015-12-05 22-37-14.png

there's some weird shenanigans going on with skidmarks around a few of the corners. I don't know what causes it, but it only happens on this map, and it causes little tire slips to leave huge black blotches on the road. I did some burnouts to show the transition from light, smooth and normal skidmarks to the dark, blotchy and glitchy skidmarks.

13. Ouerbacker

Ouerbacker
    Expand Collapse

That's a strange problem. The game seems to be doubling or tripling the amount of skid mark stickers beside the meshroad guardrails. I need to go look into this.

You could go in and edit the classicbolide.json file that is located under Trynelgren/scenarios.

Alternatively, since some others probably feel the same as you, I'll include a midday version in the next version.

I really don't know how I entirely overlooked this... I should not come up with ideas without drinking a lot of coffee beforehand...

After some thought, I decided that I'm going to bounce the mine idea to its own map. If this idea was turned into a figure eight track with a jump over the canyon,a twisting road at the bottom, and a bunch of little off-shooting caves, it would be quite enjoyable. All of the roads in this map would be placed directly on the height-map. I'll probably put this together after Trynelgren is done. If anyone would be interested in working on this map with me, toss me a PM.

#153 Ouerbacker, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  14. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

Am I the only one who finds that the link to download the snow version is broken?

15. Ouerbacker

Ouerbacker
    Expand Collapse

No, someone also mentioned it in his or her review of Trynelgren. Anyhow, it should now be fixed.

16. airman426

airman426
    Expand Collapse

This is by far my most beloved map so far. The level of detail is amazing and the look of it is breathtakingly awesome. Ouerbacker, keep making maps, because they are pretty much the only ones I play. The thing that really sold it for me was the sfx at the beginning. The fact that you went down to that level of detail in your design is incredible. Well done!

17. Ouerbacker

Ouerbacker
    Expand Collapse

Ouerbacker updated Trynelgren with a new update entry:

Trynelgren 2.9 - smoother roads

Read the rest of this update entry...

18. Ouerbacker

Ouerbacker
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 2
  19. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

This is a top-quality map and well done, too. Great work - keep them coming!

20. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

please put the snowy version on the mods repository

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice